Offense? Suggestions? Where do we go now?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
So many awesome ideas! Let's add more stuff for our guys to learn and execute when they're clearly struggling with the eight plays we already run.

I have a better idea. Let's have a little faith in the guy who has been doing this stuff for a living for 35 years and has been pretty damn successful doing it. Just spitballing here, though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You guys that are too sensitive about criticism directed at the program should not be on a message board. Period. Jesus Christ.

Take it for what it is, armchair qbs just discussing their opinions. Nothing more.

Don't be such drama kings.

If you think PJ isn't looking at options and opening up discussions then you are extremely naive.

In PJ I trust.

Nobody is getting fired. Geez, ladies, calm down.

Hey ma....go nag dad and mind your own business. Really don't understand your take here. Folks on message boards disagree. And often get fed up with the disagreements and sometimes one another. Thus the ignore feature can be handy, try it out sometime. ;) I'll mind my own counsel with regards to the above and I imagine everyone else here can do the same without your guidance. Thanks for the pep talk though.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year our passing game made us successful on O. We need a passing game to make the opponents back off. Need some quick short passes. More play action passes; drop by back don't seem to work.
But that said, blocking is terrible and tackling is not to level of last year. Special teams Wow so bad. OLine real disappointment. Our runs up the middle are terrible. Our O line should be be able to drive block 2 to 3 yards. Did last year. What has happened.

You got it backwards... Our running game made the offense successful last year. 5 to 6 yards on the dive had defenses on their heals all game. If we can't run we can't score imo.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Is it really the AB's fault like I keep hearing? I mean I've seen them miss a few plays but every time we snap the ball the O-Line looks completely lost. It's like they're trying to get to the second level by running right by the first level without even trying to block them. I've never seen our offensive line look this bad in CPJ's entire tenure. Am I missing something that's causing everyone to blame the young guys?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Is it really the AB's fault like I keep hearing? I mean I've seen them miss a few plays but every time we snap the ball the O-Line looks completely lost. It's like they're trying to get to the second level by running right by the first level without even trying to block them. I've never seen our offensive line look this bad in CPJ's entire tenure. Am I missing something that's causing everyone to blame the young guys?
There is plenty of blame to go around. You don't get this bad on offense by only one position failing.
The tackles have been having more trouble than the Guards, to my untrained eye. The tackle moving towards the second level is good during a triple. Not getting a hand on his assignment is not. I'm not getting down on the guys, it's tough for a big man to get out and block a guy like Kearse or Jaylon Smith. But we have had trouble blocking Tulane's MLB, and the guys have gotten much better than him.

The youth means a lot. Don't just think about skill, but knowing who to block.
Numbers dictate more than just which side of the field to run the play. They also determine blocking assignments and who the quarterback’s keys are. Because of this, every player– not just the quarterback– needs to recognize the numbers. Whoever is #1 becomes the quarterback’s read key, determining whether the QB keeps the ball or gives it to the B-back. #2 becomes the quarterback’s pitch key. Those two players go unblocked. The playside A-back blocks #3.
http://thebirddogblog.com/2007/10/05/reading-is-fundamental/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What stinks is the fact that cpj said he can't exsplain what's going on with the offense, and he has never seen this happen before. If cpj can't figure it out then we are in trouble, I really hope we can turn things around. On a side note I really like how lands- Davis looks.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Completely agree with this. Cant tell you how many times you see the OL just whiff on the Dline to get to second level and the Dline blows the play up.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ has to open his playbook and pull out some plays to back the defense off 9 in a box. They are daring GT to throw and with Clemson they figured they would gamble and get burned some and they did twice, but they KNEW GT would be consistent at doing it, so they kept the pressure. It was simple but brilliant. That's what Duke & ND have done as well. Shut the run down and dare the pass. It's working.

I agree. Need some plays to keep defense ( LB) to stay put.

Milwaukee

Banned
I wonder why we aren't attacking the seams with the AB's when those backers are firing every snap. Instead of a deep lob just pull up and pop a 7yd seam route and make the safety then make the one on one tackle. We haven't been winning that one on one match up through the air because either the pass accuracy has been off or the aback couldn't beat the safety and get a step. It's mostly been the accuracy in that situation thus far.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You got it backwards... Our running game made the offense successful last year. 5 to 6 yards on the dive had defenses on their heals all game. If we can't run we can't score imo.

Actually, this is an interesting question in my mind. I have made the argument (again and again...sorry!) that we have to be more effective passing in order to keep defenses from packing the box and shutting down the running game by out-numbering us in the box. I suppose there is an argument to make that when we are especially effective at blocking, that we force teams to stuff the box to try to slow us down, this making the "over the top" passing that CPJ loves (well, in truth we all love it when it works! LOL).......I hadn't thought of it this way...but there is a chicken and egg question here in my mind.

I do strongly believe that BOTH are necessary to be top notch on offense.

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if it can be fixed with JT at qb. I love JT and he is the best option qb we have had but teams are not reading anymore everybody has a gap to attack and that kills the option when we can't block it. Probably why CPJ has always recruited smaller linemen. But that don't work against teams that are getting 4 and 5 star d linemen who are as quick or quicker than out line plus stronger. We need quick hitting slants or our a backs running down the middle but I think JT is to short to be able to pull it off. But I think that I'd the only thing that will slow defenses down.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, this is an interesting question in my mind. I have made the argument (again and again...sorry!) that we have to be more effective passing in order to keep defenses from packing the box and shutting down the running game by out-numbering us in the box. I suppose there is an argument to make that when we are especially effective at blocking, that we force teams to stuff the box to try to slow us down, this making the "over the top" passing that CPJ loves (well, in truth we all love it when it works! LOL).......I hadn't thought of it this way...but there is a chicken and egg question here in my mind.

I do strongly believe that BOTH are necessary to be top notch on offense.
There is no reasonable argument against being good at both. In my mind it is a question of: where is your ceiling with the players you have and the scheme you are committed to in terms of potential at either phase. Our ceiling as a running team is leading the nation. Our ceiling as a passing team might be as high as 70th or something. So, we need to focus on running first and foremost. We need to be able to pass effectively with the windows we get and make people pay.
That is very clear to me. However, if we make passing our offensive focus, we are doomed to mediocrity or worse.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Here's what it looks like to me @Boomergump
Teams are stacking and stopping the run then blitzing on third cause they don't respect any aspect of the pass. Clemson got burned a couple of times but no where near enough to warrant them abandoning their philosophy. GT may not be a passing team & passing will never be the focus, but we can't be inept.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
@ATL1 completely agree. I was there. They were respecting the passing game till we got to 3rd down. We need to loosen the defense up with some throws. I would like to see some roll outs that give JT the run/pass option. I know we need to run it but we need to throw it as well on nontypical throwing downs. That's where we caught Clemson completely off guard. Also, after we scored our first TD the crowd was quiet. Seemed like they were expecting us to get going. Really think CPJ is having a hard time calling plays given the injuries and lack of blocking.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
While Boomer is completely correct that we cannot and should no make passing the focus of our offense. I also agree that we MUST be more effective at it to back teams off the LOS.

I like CPJ's offense. I do NOT recommend abandoning it. I simply believe (and have for almost 5 years now)that we have to be more effective at passing than CPJ seems to think.....I sometimes believe he thinks we should ONLY run the ball. Ever.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
If we came out throwing I think it would put our opponent in shock and may get them off tilt as long as we are able to make them pay for their defensive scheme. This game will be interesting because Pitt has a pretty good defense. It will be interesting to see what changes. Wasn't it 2012 when CPJ focused on the OL play? We look like we are thinking too hard out on the field, just gotta line up and play sometimes