Offense? Suggestions? Where do we go now?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My only views so far are from TV. You can't get the perspective of the whole field that way. What I see:

1) B back dive is the closest thing to successful we have in the run game. It often goes for 3 or 4. But last year it often went for 6 or 7. Other teams had to adjust when we got the six or seven, but the 3 or 4 isn't a problem. My guess is that last year's Bs were quicker to the hole, but there might be blocking differences.

2) The real issue is the wide plays. We had some success vs North Carolina, but I'm guessing that says more about the quality of their defense. ND, Duke, and Clemson had defenders in our faces immediately. There was no time or space to give Justin or the As time or space to work. Pursuit was quicker to the corner than we were, so we never made it around the end. That is the kind of thing you can't tell what is happening from TV. Are we running the TO slower? Are great numbers of blocks being missed? If so, who is missing those blocks, linemen, wides? As?

The passing game looks pretty good at times. As long as we call a pass when it is not expected, we have a chance. If it is third and long, we cannot protect and no one can work open. Of course even if they did JT wouldn't have time to find them.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I have said on this board before, our offense is great when working but we have always needed more than the option offense. Teams have figured out that an all out 8 to 9 men in a box and playing aggressively can stop the option. We just don't have enough players to block the rush. We do not pass over the middle. We rarely have more than 2 WR on the field at a time. We use WRs as tight ends in short yardage situations instead of having a " jumbo package". As much as injuries have hurt us, the other teams balls to come at us more aggressively is a bigger factor. Open up the offense a little. Our players are smart enough to learn new plays in a short period of time.

Matt E

GT Athlete
First, let me say that I enjoy the offense that we run. When executed it is an absolute thing of beauty. Having said that, it's always baffled me that we seldom add wrinkles throughout the year. In reality, what have we added the past few years to the playbook?

- the fake rocket toss A back counter? Rarely run it anymore
- the b back draw? Don't run that anymore either
- the Vad shotgun package? That left with Vad

Maybe I'm missing more but what other wrinkles have we added? In my mind we make it way to easy to prepare of you are an opposing D. We always hear what a "nightmare" it is to get ready for, but is that a reality? They can spend all week repping the same plays over and over and over again. So what's can be done? Will never happen but......

- spread the defense out in base personnel. Add one additional formation which would spread the d accross the field. Take the a backs and move them into receiver spots. Either go double twins or trips/single receiver. You can run the short/intermediate/deep passing game out of this formation as well as draws and inside run plays since the D is more spread. There is no bigger nightmare for a d coordinator than facing a formation like this without having nickel personnel on the field. Chances are they would check to a base coverage. Tenuta did this when the opposing team went empty. It was an automatic check to "Air Force" which was cover 2.
- put the offensive line in 2 point stances on obvious passing downs. This one just drives me absolute bonkers. We are so hell bent on making everything look like run that quite frankly we don't put our players in the best position to be successfull. I'm sure we are all tired of seeing the jail breaks on passing downs but I'm not suprised. You have linemen in heavy run 3 point stances, heads down having to pass set with guys blitzing all over the place. It's a recipe for disaster.
- put JT in the gun once an awhile. Let's face it, he is short. When it's 3rd and 7+ give him a chance to watch the play develop and hit the open man. Right now he is taking the snap and making a huge drop. He isn't seeing the field. Give him a chance!

Throwing in a few wrinkles like this would add prep time for the opposing team as well as be a recruiting tool to show WR that we are trying new things to get them the ball. Just my 2 cents

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Smh.....I'm done. No point in beating head against wall continuously. Done with the negative threads about triple option. Or fire PJ posts. I saw some of the same types of thoughts about Cremmins. Look where we are now in Bball. I haven't been able to follow Bball much since he left. Not gonna say it broke my heart but it hardened it toward our administration and athletic department.

Contrary to popular belief I think PJs current contract makes it easier to fire him. My feel of Mbob is he's willing to scrap both head coaches to put his stamp on our programs. Finances don't make this as cost prohibitive as most believe. Especially if we hire a new staff at a low price. We won't get Saban that way.

It's out of my power to control or affect. If PJ does get canned. I will lose what little faith I have in the Tech administration and athletic department. I understand fans that have knee jerk reactions when adversity strikes. I have no respect for professionals in athletics who do the same. I'd love to hear what Homer Rice would have to say about our staff and program.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
First, I'd say Marcus Marshall needs a lot of reps at BB... I think he's a playmaker back there.

Second, I'd say we need to throw the ball more. We have to get back to 8 in the box, not 9 or 10. When there are 9 or 10, we have to throw the ball to make it hurt.

Third, blocking has to improve. I don't know if that can happen immediately, but clearly that's the issue.

This year we're going for 6-6 at best. Lets just hope we can get a W next week.
Last year our passing game made us successful on O. We need a passing game to make the opponents back off. Need some quick short passes. More play action passes; drop by back don't seem to work.
But that said, blocking is terrible and tackling is not to level of last year. Special teams Wow so bad. OLine real disappointment. Our runs up the middle are terrible. Our O line should be be able to drive block 2 to 3 yards. Did last year. What has happened.

That's why I say simplify the offense some. Enough with the elaborate attempted blocking schemes. We don't have the experience to do those yet. Back to the basics and let's see what happens. I have confidence that the coaches can right this ship. The old adage keep it simple stupid. Sometimes we out think ourselves and it winds up costing us.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regardless of scheme, if a team is not blocking, they will get beat up.

WE are getting beat up due to mental mistakes and poor execution.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes the offense is certainly worse than it was last year. The lack of experience at skill positions is killing us. But we looked pretty terrible on offense against Clemson and Duke last year.

Excuse me? Clempun had the #1 defense in CFB last year, and we tripled the ypg rushing average against them. Against Dook last year, we did implode offensively with 3 or 4 TO's.

Milwaukee

Banned
You guys that are too sensitive about criticism directed at the program should not be on a message board. Period. Jesus Christ.

Take it for what it is, armchair qbs just discussing their opinions. Nothing more.

Don't be such drama kings.

If you think PJ isn't looking at options and opening up discussions then you are extremely naive.

In PJ I trust.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We beat UGA 30-24 last year, was their lowest offensive performance by far. We beat VT 27-24. We beat Miami 27-17. We beat Clemson 27-12 or something.

It's not quite just the D this year because special teams have sucked mightily.
The returning guys are not playing as well as last year. The D lose 2 guys. We miss Neely. Need a line backer or Safty with fire in the belly to get them motivated. O line nothing like last year. Tackling not as sure as last year. Blocking on perimeter was expected to be a problem and it is. The season is not over if they will jell as a team. The spark is missing and as you lose it, is harder to re-ignite. I have played on both kinds and winning is so much easrier to keep the fires stoked. I seem to recall that CPJ said in Fall camp something about needing to toughen up. Are we seeing that this group is not "Marine" tough or as didicated and tough as last years seniors. Need somone to step up as leaders on the field.

BTW I seem to recall in looking forward to the Clemson game that is was mid terms week and we always struggle with games on that week. Was it? No excuse to play as badly as we did but could affect concentration and focus on football.

No offense can be run only or pass only. We have to get a passing game. Worked last year because we had a passing game.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ has to open his playbook and pull out some plays to back the defense off 9 in a box. They are daring GT to throw and with Clemson they figured they would gamble and get burned some and they did twice, but they KNEW GT would be consistent at doing it, so they kept the pressure. It was simple but brilliant. That's what Duke & ND have done as well. Shut the run down and dare the pass. It's working.
I agree we need to open the playbook. I also think CPJ has tried that and our guys failed. We just don't have players making plays when needed. That's where we are at.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Smh.....I'm done. No point in beating head against wall continuously. Done with the negative threads about triple option. Or fire PJ posts. I saw some of the same types of thoughts about Cremmins. Look where we are now in Bball. I haven't been able to follow Bball much since he left. Not gonna say it broke my heart but it hardened it toward our administration and athletic department.

Contrary to popular belief I think PJs current contract makes it easier to fire him. My feel of Mbob is he's willing to scrap both head coaches to put his stamp on our programs. Finances don't make this as cost prohibitive as most believe. Especially if we hire a new staff at a low price. We won't get Saban that way.

It's out of my power to control or affect. If PJ does get canned. I will lose what little faith I have in the Tech administration and athletic department. I understand fans that have knee jerk reactions when adversity strikes. I have no respect for professionals in athletics who do the same. I'd love to hear what Homer Rice would have to say about our staff and program.

Whisky
Please leave me off the list of pj haters
Pj and the option are for me. He is running a good program, we will get this working, wish we could talk him into getting more assistance in OC area, so he could be more involved in program to head off future issues. I have had so many ala fans come to me encouraging us to stay the course - saying pj is a good coach. What he did for j Ratliff will keep me as the last man in corner. That has more impact on recruiting than many other things.
Also I believe coach will add wrinkles and get us going better than ever.

The first 2 games ruined the first half of the season, I like our chances of finishing strong.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fix the defense.

Fix the Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That's all.

I hope we see very little of Skov for the rest of the year. He is a one and done and didn't get lined up properly on the second play of the second half. If he hasn't got it by now, develop other players.

We need our speed backs back. We need a QB who has time and the accuracy to pass. Also a QB who doesn't hand off for the dive ... but then again if he keeps he gets smacked or pitches for a loss.

Maybe we need to start blocking and tackling and snapping the ball to the kicker.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

MBob fires CPJ and I don't contribute to Roll Call every year until the buffoon is gone.

Glad that we still have Hall..... which major varsity sport was the last one to win the ACC?