Offense? Suggestions? Where do we go now?

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that sucked...what do we do from here. Our games are still winnable. I'm still for CPJ. I really think it's the loss of Abacks and two WR to the NFL. I don't know honestly my brain hurts watching our offense. I still love it, but man hard to watch when we are struggling. What do y'all think we do? Ride the ship out the rest of the season and let these freshman playing pay dividends for next year?

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
First, I'd say Marcus Marshall needs a lot of reps at BB... I think he's a playmaker back there.

Second, I'd say we need to throw the ball more. We have to get back to 8 in the box, not 9 or 10. When there are 9 or 10, we have to throw the ball to make it hurt.

Third, blocking has to improve. I don't know if that can happen immediately, but clearly that's the issue.

This year we're going for 6-6 at best. Lets just hope we can get a W next week.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think MM should get more carries than Skov. The rest of the freshman are gonna have to play on offense and the ones playing on defense deserve to be out there.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I still don't think the offense is the issue. Sometimes you aren't going to be great on one side of the ball especially if you are young like we are on offense, but if you have a veteran side of the ball like we do on defense you should be able to step up and we can't. I would really like to see a younger defensive coordinator hired after the season. Occasionally we should be able to win a game 17-14, or 24-20, but it never happens.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I still don't think the offense is the issue. Sometimes you aren't going to be great on one side of the ball especially if you are young like we are on offense, but if you have a veteran side of the ball like we do on defense you should be able to step up and we can't. I would really like to see a younger defensive coordinator hired after the season. Occasionally we should be able to win a game 17-14, or 24-20, but it never happens.

We beat UGA 30-24 last year, was their lowest offensive performance by far. We beat VT 27-24. We beat Miami 27-17. We beat Clemson 27-12 or something.

It's not quite just the D this year because special teams have sucked mightily.

Milwaukee

Banned
What scares me about the offensive struggles is that we haven't seen it like this in PJ's tenure. Defenses are now (8yrs later) attacking rather than reading and reacting. Watch the first few series of the game today; Clemson is blitzing backers on every 1st and 2nd down and then playing coverage on 3rd because it's a long situation. The scary part, for me, is how effective the run blitz is against this attack. What I thought was happening was that some teams were just taking a safety and firing him in either gap ala Fuller at VA Tech or Cash at Duke. But what I'm seeing now is different...I think. I haven't looked at the UNC film yet but I know Notre Dame's backers were doing this as well behind the 3 man front. I think we're just being run blitzed at a blistering rate, plain and simple. If I'm right (but I very well could be way off) then thats a huge schematic problem that we don't seem to have an answer for.

Disclaimer: I'm not yelling from the rooftops that PJ has been figured out, like some people. But I'm curious if PJ is scratching his head about this a little. I heard the presser, yes, he stated that he's never seen his offense this inept - I wonder if he's now questioning why we are missing all the assignments, missing all the blocks, etc. Is it something defenses are doing differently and not so much us just being lost?

I stand with PJ and fully support him. People calling for his job on this board have absolutely zero football IQ.

All who think the defense is the problem, go back and look at the time of possession for the OFFENSE. That might give you some perspective as to how much they are on the field. I agree we need some adjustments on defense, but when the offense goes 3 n OUT almost every possession what can you do.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It's weird because our offense is the only one that gets doubted when we aren't good at it. Nobody thinks BC's offense is figured out, they just aren't good at running it. But somehow commentators and talking heads think its some crazy formation that trips us up. We miss blocks, miss reads, run the wrong side of blocks, and even run different plays than the guy one position over. It's frustrating, but I'm hoping we can get better.

Like Tech93, I just want to see us look competent. I keep waiting for us to turn a corner, but it hasn't happened.
Today we were outclassed, but not in the talent department. By that, I mean that you beat that defense 4 yards at a time. We just don't have the skill and toughness to do that right now. Can we get it together for another talented front 7 in Pitt by next week? I don't know.
Going forward, my totally uninformed opinion:
I would make Skov into what he does best: 3rd down receiving and pass blocking. I would also let him get some redzone carries.
I would start Marshall and give him the lion's share of the snaps and spell him with MA when healthy.
A back is a mess, but we have to find at least 4 we can trust. Snoddy being available is crucial, because while we have decent speed there, he is the only burner...and really the only guy we have that has made big plays against good competition. MLD has impressed me but is obviously the new there. He could eventually take Perkin's role out there.
WR is easy, because everyone there is back next year. Keep repping. Jeune looks like he will be a good one.
OL is inconsistent but I wouldn't make wholesale changes. I would keep working Klock in to spell Devine and Braun. The middle of the line isn't getting blown up, we just aren't getting it done between the tackles, a backs, and WR. I would keep trying different combos at OT.
I would also make a package for MJ on short yardage and redzone. JT is pretty beat up right now.

Defense I don't think there are many other moves you can make. I think we have the best guys playing, we just have lapses that cost us. We miss a lot of tackles. Roof starts way too read and react for my tastes, and we just don't have that talent. We took more chances late, but we need that attitude all week long, not just in the second quarter.
I would start demond in the slot when healthy and Gray at S.
Keep rolling Mitchell in at LB.
Keep rotating our DL, and try and keep them fresh.
Bring the heat, all day.

I am a CPJ supporter and keep thinking he will fix this but 4 games in a row I'm seeing the same thing. That is so very frustrating. My philosophy is if this ain't working let's try that, not let's keep trying the same thing UNTIL it works. That is coaching and that's not what I'm seeing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am a CPJ supporter and keep thinking he will fix this but 4 games in a row I'm seeing the same thing. That is so very frustrating. My philosophy is if this ain't working let's try that, not let's keep trying the same thing UNTIL it works. That is coaching and that's not what I'm seeing.
If you know your players aren't executing and blocking very well is the solution to really just do something completely different instead of trying to improve?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It's taken Snoddy a couple of years to figure out how to play A-back. And now we're asking guys to learn this stuff on the fly. Plus, we don't get a lot of separation at receiver.

First and foremost, we have to establish a threat at B back, whether it's Marshall or Allen. Skov, for all his attributes, is not going to break a 40-yarder or more. Marshall or Allen are more likely to do that. And again, all three of those guys are essentially brand new to the position. Skov may have played four years at Stanford, but this is an entirely new role and new offense for him. JT has to settle down too.

We had a good B back screen set up against Clemson but it looked like one of their D line got a piece of it. A wrinkle I'd like to see is an A back screen. There's a lot of call for quick slants, but when I watched Clemson's corners, they were right up on the receivers. And if they're going to crowd the box, a slant against with a LB or safety sitting nearby might get a receiver decapitated. I'll have to watch the game replays a little more closely to see how much room there is for those kinds of routes and passing lanes.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes the offense is certainly worse than it was last year. The lack of experience at skill positions is killing us. But we looked pretty terrible on offense against Clemson and Duke last year, and Notre Dame's defense is loaded.

We probably aren't quite as bad as we think. And I agree with whoever said that Marcus Marshall needs to be the guy at B back.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
How do you scheme around having 3-5 players on the field on any given play you can't trust to know their assignments much less execute them? Injuries have killed us this year. We're essentially playing the scout team skill players. Pass more to force the defense out of the box and get easier reads for the young guys when we do come back to the run. Let the defense know they're gonna be put on an island with a lot of three and outs.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Scheme-I don't think the scheme matters much at all. I recall we had trouble recruiting players to fit into Gailey's pro style offense and I clearly recall how frustrating it was to watch that offense do nothing in big games (think Wake Forest in the ACC Championship game, for example). So I reject the idea that this scheme is the problem or hurting us in recruiting. Maybe for a few players, sure. But not overall. I get how ugly it feels when it isn't working. Watching this team runs dive plays when they trail 40-10 is...disturbing (to say the least).

Scheme#2- I am MOST disappointed to finally reach the conclusion that this scheme also offers us no real advantage. Knowing GT's recruiting limitations, I had hoped this scheme would offer us a chance to compete with better athletes/teams/programs....the Florida States and Georgias we play....In 5 of the last 6 years, it clearly has not. It appears that we looked good last year not because of our scheme, but we had a good team that would have made any scheme look good. Jimmys and Joes......

Dave Braine was right-it has been shown year after year, again and again. GT can expect to win maybe 7 games, 8 if we're lucky, and in special years maybe 10 once in a long time. Last year was an outlier, and so was 2009. GT simply has too many disadvantages from the Hill to be able to recruit the Jimmys and Joes necessary to really push into Clemson/FSU/SEC territory consistently.

Offense (up until now) hasn't been our Achilles heel. It has been defense and special teams. Both are driven more by sheer athleticism than by coaching (well, in truth, I am not sure what drives our special teams performances). With our defense, we rarely win tight defensive struggles. Last year in the 2nd half of the season, our defense played as well as they could, and we won some games where we yielded few points (Clemson & Georgia come immediately to mind). But, in general, our defense has been a liability through coach after coach, ever since Tenuta left. I think it is really just about athleticism. I would admit I would MUCH rather see attacking on defense, the way our opponents are playing us, than the read and react style we are playing now. In fact, I HATE read and react on defense, as I think it simply exposes our lack of athleticism. I thought Roof had changed the last year, but we seem to be back to it this year, with predictably poor results.

Offensive Balance is Essential-In our two outlier years, 2009 and 2014, we have had NFL wide receivers to go along with everything else on the roster. Effective passing isn't just give, IT IS NECESSARY for any offense to work in this day and age. The one thing I fault this coach for is not doing the necessary things to make us an effective passing team without NFL wide receivers. The blocking problems are there for all of us to see, but they are exacerbated by the fact that defenses KNOW how to stop us if they can ignore our passing attack. They ignore it, they stuff the box. That means we have to execute our blocking...nearly perfectly. That's hard to do against determined defenses. It is especially hard when (as in Stinger's example above) you're outnumbered in the box. This is the one place I fault CPJ for being too stubborn to see and do something about. We don't have the three step drop and throw that would make it IMPOSSIBLE to sack us and which might, just MIGHT get some defenses to loosen up their defense in the box.

Beyond that ...and it is back to the Jimmys and Joes. For that to change the administration has to give a damn, and it seems to me they just......don't.

Those who blindly think that things will get better "when the leaves turn" or that somehow it'll all be alright....make me shake my head. Things will get better when we get better players, and/or when our coach realizes he needs to invest in a short passing game to keep defenses from stacking the box. Soon, these same folks will be talking about how NEXT year will be better. Why? I have no idea. Next year should be another year much like 2010-3. You are what your record is. Unless one of you sees a Bebe or Smelter on the roster who can make us a dual threat again, we will (at best) be Sun Bowl caliber again....next year. This scheme is NOT the problem, and this coach is NOT the problem. Not really.

It's the Hill, folks. Dave Braine was right. He tried to tell us, but against all data points which support what he said, we choose to believe otherwise.....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has to open his playbook and pull out some plays to back the defense off 9 in a box. They are daring GT to throw and with Clemson they figured they would gamble and get burned some and they did twice, but they KNEW GT would be consistent at doing it, so they kept the pressure. It was simple but brilliant. That's what Duke & ND have done as well. Shut the run down and dare the pass. It's working.