October 7 (the bye week)

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Why punch a gift horse in the mouth? At this point, our only shot at a new years six bowl is to get to the ACCCG. To do that, I think we pretty much have to run the table with our coastal schedule. I think resting, healing and strengthening ourselves on Oct 7 while Miami slugs it out on the road at night with FSU only helps us towards that goal. If we accomplish that, it matters nadda if it happens with an 11 or 12 game regular season schedule. Our current SOS is too strong . If CPJ thinks we need some activity to stay in tune, schedule the easiest patsy AT HOME that will play us, FCS or not, otherwise don't do it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
As much as I selfishly want more football, we definitely shouldn't be trying to give up our bye week. A bye after 2 weeks is kind of useless, since you have 10 straight weeks with no break. We kind of had ideal bye placement this season. We should keep it that way and just be grateful for the extra time off.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
If Tech isn't in the ACC title game, and for the sake of getting back a regular season game -- play Georgia State on 12/2 at noon or 12:30. State's AD has indicated an interest in it. An early kickoff wouldn't conflict with the SEC and ACC title games which kick off at 4 and 7 p.m. It would be one more game against, technically, a FBS-level opponent instead of a second FCS opponent. A game, probably a glorified scrimmage but still a game, and a probable final opportunity for plenty of back-ups and scout-teamers to play significant snaps in a real game. (Also, it would quiet any Panther fans for a few years who could no longer complain about Tech scheduling Georgia Southern and even the likes of Mercer and Kennesaw State, but not a program a few blocks away.) As for October 7, keep the bye and exploit the opportunity of having two weeks to prep for Miami.

Last edited:

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Tech isn't in the ACC title game, and for the sake of getting back a regular season game -- play Georgia State on 12/2 at noon or 12:30. State's AD has indicated an interest in it. An early kickoff wouldn't conflict with the SEC and ACC title games which kick off at 4 and 7 p.m. It would be one more game against, technically, a FBS-level opponent instead of a second FCS opponent. A game, probably a glorified scrimmage but still a game, and a probable final opportunity for plenty of back-ups and scout-teamers to play significant snaps in a real game. (Also, it would quiet any Panther fans for a few years who could no longer complain about Tech scheduling Georgia Southern and even the likes of Mercer and Kennesaw State, but not a program a few blocks away.) As for October 7, keep the bye and exploit the opportunity of having two weeks to prep for Miami.
This is an intriguing possibility. Especially if we are limping in at 5-6 or 6-5. But what if Georgia State makes the Sunbelt championship game?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This is an intriguing possibility. Especially if we are limping in at 5-6 or 6-5. But what if Georgia State makes the Sunbelt championship game?

Not sure if serious?

Georgia State is the worst FBS team out there....their chances of making the Sunbelt Championship are much worse than our chances of making the ACC Championship.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if serious?

Georgia State is the worst FBS team out there....their chances of making the Sunbelt Championship are much worse than our chances of making the ACC Championship.
So you're saying there's a chance! I prefer my sarcasm to be delivered in deadpan such as to cause the listener (reader) to wonder if I am indeed, serious.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The only team with a cancelled game that has 10/7 open is South Florida. That seems to be the only viable option.

Screw it, let's play em. Here or there...I don't give a crap. A win against a ranked team couldn't hurt.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I'd love a 12th game, but I'm not sure sacrificing the bye is worth it. Heart says yes, but head says no.

If we think best case scenerio, an 11 game season isn't going to hurt us in any serious playoff talk because, for their to be serious talk, we'd have to be 11-1 which means we will have beaten Clemson, Miami, VT, UGA and either Clemson again, FSU or the Lamar Jacksons.

If we think more realistic expectations, yes, maybe it could weaken our bowl selection, but beating Miami would both strengthen our bowl selection and help us towards our goal of winning the conference. I say it's worth keeping the bye and focusing on Miami. This is a team that we are 2-7 against under CPJ and a big game against a big name team. I say doubling down on that is worth putting a "better" bowl at risk, because if we beat Miami, we probably still get that "better" bowl.

Having said that, I think it would be pretty easy, all things considering, to work out a deal with GSU for a noon game on championship week under the agreement that it only happens if both teams aren't in their respective championship games. I would be cool with that and I think it would be a good move. I hope we are playing someone like Clemson that week, though. ;)

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd love a 12th game, but I'm not sure sacrificing the bye is worth it. Heart says yes, but head says no.

If we think best case scenerio, an 11 game season isn't going to hurt us in any serious playoff talk because, for their to be serious talk, we'd have to be 11-1 which means we will have beaten Clemson, Miami, VT, UGA and either Clemson again, FSU or the Lamar Jacksons.

If we think more realistic expectations, yes, maybe it could weaken our bowl selection, but beating Miami would both strengthen our bowl selection and help us towards our goal of winning the conference. I say it's worth keeping the bye and focusing on Miami. This is a team that we are 2-7 against under CPJ and a big game against a big name team. I say doubling down on that is worth putting a "better" bowl at risk, because if we beat Miami, we probably still get that "better" bowl.

Having said that, I think it would be pretty easy, all things considering, to work out a deal with GSU for a noon game on championship week under the agreement that it only happens if both teams aren't in their respective championship games. I would be cool with that and I think it would be a good move. I hope we are playing someone like Clemson that week, though. ;)
personal foul, 15 yards for roughing the reader ( using logic and making sense)
gHPi3KaXG8m0KXgBCyjn3zDGQ68h59jpFYv3fUQl_dj0fuE3DfwyIpLyhc-CP-Ws5hnnSog=s85

imgres

6KWEcj

Last edited:

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How about we just not sacrifice the bye week.

Its a non conference game so it has no affect on the ACC championship game, so why not schedule it for the week after? There's already one college football game played that week (granted its army vs navy and maybe football purists will be annoyed that we're also playing a game that day).

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
As much as I selfishly want more football, we definitely shouldn't be trying to give up our bye week. A bye after 2 weeks is kind of useless, since you have 10 straight weeks with no break. We kind of had ideal bye placement this season. We should keep it that way and just be grateful for the extra time off.
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS