October 7 (the bye week)

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
What does everyone think about trying to schedule a game Oct.7 to replace UCF? I know a few teams have switched their schedules around after the storm, etc. For example, UMass is off 10/7 & 10/14. Curious as to your thoughts...I'd like the reps for the younger guys (and selfishly, another home game). CPJ mentioned he'd like to play a replacement game on the show tonight as well.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
What does everyone think about trying to schedule a game Oct.7 to replace UCF? I know a few teams have switched their schedules around after the storm, etc. For example, UMass is off 10/7 & 10/14. Curious as to your thoughts...I'd like the reps for the younger guys (and selfishly, another home game). CPJ mentioned he'd like to play a replacement game on the show tonight as well.
Jackson State is having a bye week on October 7th. GT needs to play Jackson State in BDS.

I missed the first part of the show, which apparently included that comment. That sorta surprises me, since we would be giving up the bye before Miami, but I would be all for it, if one could be arranged.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Jackson State is having a bye week on October 7th. GT needs to play Jackson State in BDS.

Jackson State if FCS, so that win wouldn't count toward eligibility. Some of the bowls might push that it shouldn't count toward placement in the bowl selection. Regardless of what the rules state, the bowls have historically been extremely creative in how they interpret them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Jackson State if FCS, so that win wouldn't count toward eligibility. Some of the bowls might push that it shouldn't count toward placement in the bowl selection. Regardless of what the rules state, the bowls have historically been extremely creative in how they interpret them.
JSU is an FCS team but I think GT wins 8 games so it wouldn't hurt GT that badly. I think GT would still play somewhere like the Taxslayer Bowl,Belk Bowl or Music City Bowl and maybe the Camping World Bowl.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
JSU is an FCS team but I think GT wins 8 games so it wouldn't hurt GT that badly. I think GT would still play somewhere like the Taxslayer Bowl,Belk Bowl or Music City Bowl and maybe the Camping World Bowl.

For bowl eligibility only one FCS win can count. Bowls get creative with numbers, so if GT is 8-4, they could say that the second FCS game doesn't count and GT only has 7 counting games which could allow lower ranked teams from the ACC to skip over GT. In the 2010 Gator Bowl(2009) season, Florida State was selected over Clemson even though the rules clearly stated that an ACC team has to be within one win of the next available ACC team to jump over them. FSU was two wins below Clemson. The Gator Bowl got creative and said that once every four years they were required to take the ACC Championship Game loser. Since they had taken GT in the 2007 Gator Bowl(2006 season), the didn't have to take Clemson(the ACC Championship loser). They just decided to ignore the within one game rule. Playing two FCS teams would hurt GT's strength of schedule, probably worse than skipping the game.

I want GT to be 10-1 or 11-1 and in the playoff picture. I think 11-1 with two FCS wins would hurt more than 10-1 with one FCS win.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to play a true lower level fcs team on October 7th. It would hopefully give Johnson a chance to keep the starters fresh, but with a few game reps to keep timing down. Also it would be great to get some serious reps for 2nd and 3rd team players. Getting reps for our guys that aren't getting starts in games is huge for moral. It's hard to push and continue to develop when the closest you get to the field is a little special teams work and standing on the sideline.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's just say for the sake of argument that we're looking for a game. We damn sure aren't going to do anything stupid like go on the road to Indiana or UMASS the week before what could possibly be the most important ACC game on our schedule. The only way I'd see us picking up a game is if it were an FCS school, and I Just don't think that's gonna happen.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's just say for the sake of argument that we're looking for a game. We damn sure aren't going to do anything stupid like go on the road to Indiana or UMASS the week before what could possibly be the most important ACC game on our schedule. The only way I'd see us picking up a game is if it were an FCS school, and I Just don't think that's gonna happen.

I'm saying get UMass to come here. They surely need/want the money.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough, but potential revenue from another home game could change things. Remember the Eagles saying they'd get back together "when hell freezes over?" Money talks. Even Slash and Axl found a way (ok, I'm old, I get it).

TStan is too smart to not have already made a few calls.

I get it, but I'd rather beat Miami and win the division than win the extra non-conference game at this point. We should do whatever we can do to give ourselves the best chance in that game. So if we schedule an FCS team I'd want someone that's a guaranteed victory where we could almost start our second string and get the W.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
UMass already has 12 games scheduled. They have two bye weeks because they played the first game in August.

They can get an exception from the NCAA, and they sure aren't going to a bowl, so why not try it and get a few hundred K that they don't have to share with their conference as bowl revenue?

They also have the next week off (10/14) to rest up. Again, just spitballing here. I'll let it go...just probably being wishful for more GT football.

#edit...UMass is independent. My bad.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
I get it, but I'd rather beat Miami and win the division than win the extra non-conference game at this point. We should do whatever we can do to give ourselves the best chance in that game. So if we schedule an FCS team I'd want someone that's a guaranteed victory where we could almost start our second string and get the W.

Your point is well taken.