OC Hire

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Look I like CGC but a defense that gave up an avg of 27 points at Temple I just don't see as that great. They played 2 ACC team BC gave up 45 and Duke gave up 56. recruiting better is great up you still have to be able to coach them up.

But something to keep in mind is that you're stepping onto an uneven playing field when comparing G5 to P5. Because of that, their talent level cannot be expected to be equal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
But something to keep in mind is that you're stepping onto an uneven playing field when comparing G5 to P5. Because of that, their talent level cannot be expected to be equal.
But is that not the same thing people say about us we are on an uneven playing field/ not to change the study we have beat that horse over and over.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Look I like CGC but a defense that gave up an avg of 27 points at Temple I just don't see as that great. They played 2 ACC team BC gave up 45 and Duke gave up 56. recruiting better is great up you still have to be able to coach them up.
Because you are running a more uptempo offense, the opponent only had 2/3rd to 3/4th the possessions they have against our old system. The 49 to Clemson and 42 to UGAg is worse than you think. Heck, we gave up 41 to Duke last year. Think of that as 56-63 in more conventional terms. I think the improvement is the move away from the bend-but-don't-break philosophies that shorten the game, but make for an unaggressive and less physical defense. Jones had a heck of a game against them, and they hung a number on them, but Temple was getting turnovers and sacks early. Look for us to get more of that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But is that not the same thing people say about us we are on an uneven playing field/ not to change the study we have beat that horse over and over.

Good point. The advantage of improving recruiting is that we're trying to do something about that. I think one reason we haven't been on an even playing field is that we haven't devoted enough of our resources to recruiting. Hopefully, that's starting to change.

slugboy

Staff member
Why are we not all over the Toledo offensive coordinator Brian Wright, whose team was 11th in the country in scoring at 40.4 per game?

As crummy a year as we had, we were 17th in FEI Offense. Army was two spots up on us, and Washington State was 10 spots up at 7th. Buffalo was 10th, and Toledo was 34th. Ohio was 6th (not Ohio State, who was 5th). UCF is 4th. Louisiana Lafayette was 18th (just behind us). Top 3 are Oklahoma, Alabama, and Georgia.

It’s a good question if we should look at Toledo’s OC or some of the other OCs out there. I’m not sure how much is getting the right group of seniors and looking good for a year, and how much is the coordinator.

But there are other small schools that had “better” offenses than Toledo.

Other than recruiting ability is there anything else about Tee Martin that excites people? He was named OC at usc and inherited a first round nfl qb and incredible talent on line and receiver. After losing Darnold to the draft usc looked awful in a mediocre conference. Martin may be a great recruiter but he had a helluva lot more talent at usc then he would ever have at Tech and couldn’t achieve any positive results in a division similar to the coastal.

Tee or Key would both worry me as neither have proven they are good enough to call plays at a p5 level. Would love to see someone like Matt Canada come in who has proven he can win with a range of talent in multiple looks. The others we keep discussing appear to be a crap shoot as far as ability to coach up a team and get results.

I’m surprised Matt Canada doesn’t have a head coaching job. He’s the best option I know of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dude has a point. A good one. Be careful. My single greatest fear is that so many people seem to think that CGC will be a miracle worker, and what will be the result if he makes things marginally better but not a miracle worker? In other words, what if all the real impediments to success at GT are, in fact, accurate? Will people simply want to fire CGC and find another 'miracle worker'? Or will fan support simple dwindle as people give up?

Let's hope I am wrong, just totally wrong.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
CPJ’s two greatest failings were:

- Inability to land top-flight option QBs

- Filling out his staff with mediocre guys
His sense of loyalty affected his ability to replace " friends" and also let more obviously talented QBs step ahead of the "incumbent". See last bowl game.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Other than recruiting ability is there anything else about Tee Martin that excites people? He was named OC at usc and inherited a first round nfl qb and incredible talent on line and receiver. After losing Darnold to the draft usc looked awful in a mediocre conference. Martin may be a great recruiter but he had a helluva lot more talent at usc then he would ever have at Tech and couldn’t achieve any positive results in a division similar to the coastal.

Tee or Key would both worry me as neither have proven they are good enough to call plays at a p5 level. Would love to see someone like Matt Canada come in who has proven he can win with a range of talent in multiple looks. The others we keep discussing appear to be a crap shoot as far as ability to coach up a team and get results.
I'm kind of split on Tee Martin. Don't think he is a bad OC based on evidence, not sure how good he is. I'm wondering if he and Patenaude would be co-OC's given what CGC says he wants to be (pro style, multiple).

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

its still temple.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Didn't Canada fail miserably at OC at LSU?

I actually follow LSU football pretty closely due to a good friend/former grad/LSU athlete. Canada and Orgeron were polar opposites and ended up hating each other. Orgeron dabbled a little in the offense and Canada is a bit of a control freak. (Plus LSU has had qb recruiting issues over the past five years, the big recruit they thought would be the savior was shea Patterson who flipped last minute to ole miss.). The mutual parting of ways was the best thing that happened to both parties.

Look at Canada at Pitt / nc state / Maryland. His track record of success far outweighs any concern I’d have over his season at LSU.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok one more question, what makes people think that Dave Patenaude would be a good OC ? Because of what he did at Coastal Carolina ? a few 3 and outs will kill a defense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I actually follow LSU football pretty closely due to a good friend/former grad/LSU athlete. Canada and Orgeron were polar opposites and ended up hating each other. Orgeron dabbled a little in the offense and Canada is a bit of a control freak. (Plus LSU has had qb recruiting issues over the past five years, the big recruit they thought would be the savior was shea Patterson who flipped last minute to ole miss.). The mutual parting of ways was the best thing that happened to both parties.

Look at Canada at Pitt / nc state / Maryland. His track record of success far outweighs any concern I’d have over his season at LSU.
Yes. Canada is a damn good OC.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I guess I'm going to have to go there- what makes you guys think Matt Canada, whose one failure that last got him fired was not having a QB at LSU, would want to take a lateral to be OC with a roster transitioning from an option offense considering the kind of offense he likes to run? And what kind of jack would you have to put up to convince him to take that risk? Same goes for all the other names coming off the 'great offensive stats' list.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't most of Canada's successes come with classic drop back passers?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I guess I'm going to have to go there- what makes you guys think Matt Canada, whose one failure that last got him fired was not having a QB at LSU, would want to take a lateral to be OC with a roster transitioning from an option offense considering the kind of offense he likes to run? And what kind of jack would you have to put up to convince him to take that risk? Same goes for all the other names coming off the 'great offensive stats' list.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't most of Canada's successes come with classic drop back passers?
We are not going to get a named coach hence why we are looking at so many Temple coaches , Sad but true.

slugboy

Staff member

No one said it seriously. It was a “dream coach” comment.

Having said that, this is a plum job, and should have good candidates. It’s not a doom and gloom situation.

We are not going to get a named coach hence why we are looking at so many Temple coaches , Sad but true.

We only have rumors, not a clear idea of who we’ve looked at or offered.

Also, the main Temple coaches are people Collins likes and trusts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk