OC Hire

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Try to remember with some of the 'proven' names people are pulling out of the hat:
1) Do we have the $$$ to pay these people?
2) Do these people have the mentality and personal philosophy to be a fit for Tech in a non-football sense (think Flunkgate and Gailey)?
3) Would this person who may have experience, but has no connection to any other staff fit into the staff being built (think Groh)?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Again, without Darnold they dropped to 382 yards per game and 82nd in total offense. USC always has offensive talent. Doesn’t this worry you?

Edit - they were 90th in scoring offense, 48th passing offense. Maybe I’m being too hard on them but this doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in me.

Yes, it worries me. Or it would, if Martin were named OC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
anyone else worried we are putting a coaching staff that can all recruit but their coaching to improve players could be in question.

This is exactly what I’m thinking. I do believe this staff in place will already recruit better but we aren’t ever going to be at Bama or Ohio St level. We won’t be able to just roll out players and win on individual talent. If it was that easy, Florida state and Miami would be winning the acc every year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Try to remember with some of the 'proven' names people are pulling out of the hat:
1) Do we have the $$$ to pay these people?
2) Do these people have the mentality and personal philosophy to be a fit for Tech in a non-football sense (think Flunkgate and Gailey)?
3) Would this person who may have experience, but has no connection to any other staff fit into the staff being built (think Groh)?

No question about it, the people making this decision have a lot more to think about than we can consider on an internet chat board, with limited information.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, without Darnold they dropped to 382 yards per game and 82nd in total offense. USC always has offensive talent. Doesn’t this worry you?

Edit - they were 90th in scoring offense, 48th passing offense. Maybe I’m being too hard on them but this doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in me.

It concerns me. But the level of recruiting here concerns me more, and he has a reputation as a great recruiter of Atlanta and the southeast. I don't know that USC "always has offensive talent". You can't expect them to just throw their jerseys on the field and expect big things just because they're USC.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
anyone else worried we are putting a coaching staff that can all recruit but their coaching to improve players could be in question.
I think it’s way too early to start worrying. We don’t even know who either coordinator is, and we only have 2 position coaches who have been announced. Tashard seems to have been a good RBs coach at North Texas, so he at least should have good coaching chops. I’m sure Geoff Collins understands the importance of good coaching to complement good recruiting.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think it will be a great way to prove out whether recruiting or coaching is more important.

The new staff will be a 180 from the old one.
Not sure about 180. Our defense and special teams haven't exactly suggested good coaching. At the least, the recent on-field results haven't been there.

Here's the way I'm looking at it. Even if what some folks are speculating is true - that is, we'll just have a staff of recruiters without coaching - that may be better than the alternative. At least if a coach/recruiter isn't working out, they can be replaced, and the cupboard will be full.

But, I think we'll have a good D at minimum, or should I say better D at minimum, based on the historical performance of some of the coaches many believe will be here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be a great way to prove out whether recruiting or coaching is more important.

The new staff will be a 180 from the old one.

I was not really that impressed with the coaching abilities of our former staff, overall. I would imagine the new people will be at least as good at coaching up as the old staff, with better results through improved recruiting. I hope.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Whatever staff comes in will not all stay long term. That is the reality. Collins could be planning to staff in phases. Step one: bring in a bunch of recruiters and boost the talent. Step two: as 'recruiters' move on to better paying positions at factories (that is reality- think C. Kelly and others), bring in the X and O guys when you get the talent for them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly what I’m thinking. I do believe this staff in place will already recruit better but we aren’t ever going to be at Bama or Ohio St level. We won’t be able to just roll out players and win on individual talent. If it was that easy, Florida state and Miami would be winning the acc every year.

On the other hand, we aren't going to be 'Bama or Ohio State by coaching up three star talent, either. We need to improve recruiting and coaching. Or, alternatively, install a gimmick offense. ;=)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s way too early to start worrying. We don’t even know who either coordinator is, and we only have 2 position coaches who have been announced. Tashard seems to have been a good RBs coach at North Texas, so he at least should have good coaching chops. I’m sure Geoff Collins understands the importance of good coaching to complement good recruiting.
First I don't know this to be true ;
http://www.philly.com/college-sport...ight-georgia-tech-geoff-collins-20181228.html