OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

agthegreat

Georgia Tech Fan
Give me an honest attempt at this exercise.

Pretend Godsey never played at Tech. Pretend you honestly didn't hear of him until he was brought up in this search.

Would you give a lucrative multi year contract to a guy who doesn't even have a full year's experience as offensive coordinator?
He's not even full offensive coordinator, he is Co-offensive coordinator.
Godsey was the Houston Texans' OC for 2 seasons 2015-2016 under Billy O before Miami.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If a separate QB coach is hired, would it necessitate a consolidation of two other positions, say, Safety and Cornerback? (which I think would be a good thing)
Not if Godsey takes the TE.
Hire Godsey as TE coach/OC
Bring in Dennis as QB coach.

My only worry for Godsey is that he was a chemical engineering major and stuff that comes easily to him or to a pro QB might not translate to a college QB and college athletes.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If Godsey becomes the OC, any chance we go to a 22 base formation or something? Bring back the fullback position and run power-I, stuff like that? It would at least be different from the rest of the ACC.
I’ve always said a dedicated I form with a big Ed wilder type fullback would wreak havoc on the smaller defenses that are built on speed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Pretend Godsey never played at Tech. Pretend you honestly didn't hear of him until he was brought up in this search.

Would you give a lucrative multi year contract to a guy who doesn't even have a full year's experience as offensive coordinator?

Now you find out that that offense isn't any good.

You go further back and see that he really didn't have much major impact as a position coach either.

Would you still be excited that this is who we are targeting to right this ship?

I'm not saying he won't work out. He might. But didn't we just making this exact mistake by hiring DJ Jazzy Geoff as a head coach knowing full well he has very limited experience as head coach? I mean at least Geoff rode Matt Rule's coat tails into not having as terrible of a record as he has here.

This is simply a move to appease fans of the awesome early 2000's as well as another pho AD (George O'Leary) play.

I'll end my post with this,

Regarding the OC position:
MJ is one of, if not the greatest basketball players of all time. How has he done with the Charlotte bobcats or whatever they're name is now?

Regarding the ex coach turned AD (essentially O'Leary)
How well did it work out for us when Dodd became AD? Same for Tennessee the last couple years.
If all I knew about Godsey was his experience and his record as a coach, no, I wouldn't be excited about him. But I also know how bright and quick-witted he was as our quarterback, and how he made the most of his ability. I don't have so much faith in his paper resume' as I have in him. I mean, I don't know him personally, but that's always been the impression I've had of Godsey.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Not if Godsey takes the TE.
Hire Godsey as TE coach/OC
Bring in Dennis as QB coach.

My only worry for Godsey is that he was a chemical engineering major and stuff that comes easily to him or to a pro QB might not translate to a college QB and college athletes.
Pretty sure he was IE, but yeah same principal applies. That being said, I'm sure he's smart enough to make things as simple, and efficient as possible, and present ideas/schemes/etc. in multiple ways to get through players that learn different ways.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You go further back and see that he really didn't have much major impact as a position coach either.

Would you still be excited that this is who we are targeting to right this ship?

I'm not saying he won't work out. He might. But didn't we just making this exact mistake by hiring DJ Jazzy Geoff as a head coach knowing full well he has very limited experience as head coach? I mean at least Geoff rode Matt Rule's coat tails into not having as terrible of a record as he has here.

This is simply a move to appease fans of the awesome early 2000's as well as another pho AD (George O'Leary) play.

MJ is one of, if not the greatest basketball players of all time. How has he done with the Charlotte bobcats or whatever they're name is now?

How well did it work out for us when Dodd became AD? Same for Tennessee the last couple years.
Yes. I like the Goose a lot and remember his wins over uga. I also hope that if he is chosen as OC that he has spectacular success. But you are correct that there is nothing clearly identifiable in his coaching resume that screams successful coach.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh. I can talk myself into being hopeful just to find some hope for the sake of it but if you remove the GT QB shine it's not that inspiring of a hire. I can try to talk myself into it with his experience being around a lot of NFL teams and some good coaches and I'm sure he's picked up a lot and many of them seem to hire him back when they get other gigs.....but prior to being promoted he was working under good ol' Chan Gailey and after Chan stepped down Godsey and another are taking over to build on that offensive base which wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. I think most everyone here remembers the Chan Gailey offenses. It doesn't mean George will run that but....we'll see. Results determine everything. And some are chalking up his poor offensive performance Miami due to their poor OL play...what do you think he'll have here?

bobbie_downtown

Georgia Tech Fan
Mullen was making 7+ million a year as head coach. He could easily get 2 million as an offensive coordinator somewhere.

Why in the world would he choose GT?

I doubt his friendship with CGC is worth ~1 million dollars a year.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Ok what if the candidate were Alex van Pelt or Matt Canada? No Gt connects, just NFL OCs. Do you think we could get one of them? No way they are interested but Goose is apparently. Goose is as good as Van Pelt or Canada, except Canada has a lot of college experience with not a ton of success. Van Pelts resume is very similar to Goose’s but Goose can boast being a belichek tree guy which we would be gushing over if not for the fact that everyone wants to hate all candidates except the ones that are unattainable. Could we get Tom Herman? No way. Mullen? Unlikely. Is goose worse than Willie Korn? I went to all of goose’s games and I am a huge fan but I don’t KNOW he’s a homerun but certainly no can know he’s a bust. I’d take him over matt Canada