OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So let me get this straight.

We had a coach who won more and more significantly then anyone since Ross, begged for more resources the whole time, got shafted.

Then the next guy, proceeds to put together literally the worst coaching job in Tech history (worse than Bill Lewis), and we reward him with the largest amount of resources in modern Tech football????

If this is true, then we truly deserve to be bottom feeders. My god Tech can be awfully dumb in sports. No way will I ever get behind this if true.
TS actually gave CPJ more of what he asked for than Bobinski ever did. Collins was smart to ask for a lot more resources as they were needed for the football program. They have helped in recruting quite a bit. If we put the resources into good coordinators this experiment might actually work. In any case, even if it does not work we will have shown we will provide the resources to compete in the ACC.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
TS actually gave CPJ more of what he asked for than Bobinski ever did. Collins was smart to ask for a lot more resources as they were needed for the football program. They have helped in recruting quite a bit. If we put the resources into good coordinators this experiment might actually work. In any case, even if it does not work we will have shown we will provide the resources to compete in the ACC.
Yes I know TStan started the process. It was merely too little too late (not blaming him, just bad timing).

This Godsey thing smells allot like the Ted Roof situation. Some donors forcing a Tech Man on the program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I said this once and I'll say it again. Collins strikes me as the type that doesn't want to get outshined. I don't foresee us hiring a bigger name, than he is. I don't think he wants anyone that will step in and challenge him. While I think that's what we need, Collins' ego simply won't allow it. I may be wrong. But, I am usually very good at reading people.
Maybe Geoffrey was made an offer he couldn't refuse.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yes I know TStan started the process. It was merely too little too late (not blaming him, just bad timing).
Better late than never. I think CPJ would have retired when he did regardless. Being a P5 HC is all consuming. He was a HC for a long time and a very successful one. He brought us highs we hadn't seen in decades. Miss him but the time was right for a change on all sides. I imagine his golf handicap is fairly low single digits now. He deserves to enjoy life, he earned it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Better late than never. I think CPJ would have retired when he did regardless. Being a P5 HC is all consuming. He was a HC for a long time and a very successful one. He brought us highs we hadn't seen in decades. Miss him but the time was right for a change on all sides. I imagine his golf handicap is fairly low single digits now. He deserves to enjoy life, he earned it.
Not arguing that at all.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
What about DC? Surely to God Thacker is not going to be our dc next season
Its a fireable offense to say they are going to have "new leadership on both sides of the ball" and they don't provide that, in my opinion. Granted, that could mean Geoff is heading up the defense and DC money is allotted to a higher profile OC. Lots of things still not figured out tho.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Its a fireable offense to say they are going to have "new leadership on both sides of the ball" and they don't provide that, in my opinion. Granted, that could mean Geoff is heading up the defense and DC money is allotted to a higher profile OC. Lots of things still not figured out tho.
That would be fine by me given a proven offensive coordinator with good results. I could get behind this if the OC were someone like Mullen.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He will have full autonomy with putting together an offense and calling plays. He's never had that.
The thought that this is the first time Godsey will have complete autonomy running the offense makes me optimistic about bringing him to the Flats, because he always struck me as a smart and resourceful guy. He has the experience, the knowledge, the smarts...and now the autonomy. Looking forward to next year, if he's the guy hired as OC.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The thought that this is the first time Godsey will have complete autonomy running the offense makes me optimistic about bringing him to the Flats, because he always struck me as a smart and resourceful guy. He has the experience, the knowledge, the smarts...and now the autonomy. Looking forward to next year, if he's the guy hired as OC.
Makes me wonder if the offer was put out there, why a decision hasn't come down. I probably sound impatient but as we've seen during this coaching carousel, time is usually of the essence and things tend to move quickly.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand how keeping Thacker on as a position coach could be a good thing, i may be wrong but that seems like it could create division

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The more that I'm thinking of this, Godsey as OC makes a lot of sense. Was at UCF under O'Leary (half our staff has connections to O'Leary and/or UCF, along with Stansbury. Would likely be willing to take OC without making wholesale changes to staff (Key is here unless he quits, and don't wanna lose Choice). Has also coached every position group except OL and WR, which offers flexibility in case you do want to make a move for say, Corey Dennis as QB coach.

Dolphins are 12th in passing yards this season with an awful O-line and no running game, and currently on a 4 game winning streak.

Also, apparently he was a CS major at Tech so that's a plus in my book as well.

Collins doesn't have the luxury of a rebuild anymore, so you need someone who can immediately gel with offensive staff and get to work.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Makes me wonder if the offer was put out there, why a decision hasn't come down. I probably sound impatient but as we've seen during this coaching carousel, time is usually of the essence and things tend to move quickly.
Things tend to move quickly when the offer is $10m/year.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Things tend to move quickly when the offer is $10m/year.
Fair Point GIFs | Tenor

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Give me an honest attempt at this exercise.

Pretend Godsey never played at Tech. Pretend you honestly didn't hear of him until he was brought up in this search.

Would you give a lucrative multi year contract to a guy who doesn't even have a full year's experience as offensive coordinator?
He's not even full offensive coordinator, he is Co-offensive coordinator.

Now you find out that that offense isn't any good.

You go further back and see that he really didn't have much major impact as a position coach either.

Would you still be excited that this is who we are targeting to right this ship?

I'm not saying he won't work out. He might. But didn't we just making this exact mistake by hiring DJ Jazzy Geoff as a head coach knowing full well he has very limited experience as head coach? I mean at least Geoff rode Matt Rule's coat tails into not having as terrible of a record as he has here.

This is simply a move to appease fans of the awesome early 2000's as well as another pho AD (George O'Leary) play.

I'll end my post with this,

Regarding the OC position:
MJ is one of, if not the greatest basketball players of all time. How has he done with the Charlotte bobcats or whatever they're name is now?

Regarding the ex coach turned AD (essentially O'Leary)
How well did it work out for us when Dodd became AD? Same for Tennessee the last couple years.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
There are several names that we're hearing that has some traction with GT for the OC position, have we heard any names on the defensive side that we're considering?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The more that I'm thinking of this, Godsey as OC makes a lot of sense. Was at UCF under O'Leary (half our staff has connections to O'Leary and/or UCF, along with Stansbury. Would likely be willing to take OC without making wholesale changes to staff (Key is here unless he quits, and don't wanna lose Choice). Has also coached every position group except OL and WR, which offers flexibility in case you do want to make a move for say, Corey Dennis as QB coach.

Dolphins are 12th in passing yards this season with an awful O-line and no running game, and currently on a 4 game winning streak.

Also, apparently he was a CS major at Tech so that's a plus in my book as well.

Collins doesn't have the luxury of a rebuild anymore, so you need someone who can immediately gel with offensive staff and get to work.
Nothing against Corey Dennis, and I think we need a good QB coach, but I imagine Godsey would serve in that role as well as OC. I thought back when he was playing here that Godsey is the perfect type to be a good QB coach, since he made the most out of his own abilities as a quarterback.

If a separate QB coach is hired, would it necessitate a consolidation of two other positions, say, Safety and Cornerback? (which I think would be a good thing)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If Godsey becomes the OC, any chance we go to a 22 base formation or something? Bring back the fullback position and run power-I, stuff like that? It would at least be different from the rest of the ACC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s more of an indication that nobody except Tech alum are willing to join this dumpster fire, they are the ones willing to sacrifice to help put it out
Isn’t Godsey one of our top donors to the athletic department? I think you are correct that we seem to be sticking with people who are committed to the Institute.

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting the retirement presser, Too Tall. There were some interesting nuggets that I forgot about, including some prescient comments about "revisionist history". All tech fans would be well served to give it a listen as it tends to reset ones perspective.