OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Jmonty71

Banned
I have no skin in the game, regarding Godsey.. I know I wasn't impress with P'naude. I know we under-used the talent we had. I know that our QBs have much better talent, that what was shown on the field. If Godsey can come in and show these young men how to read the defense and how to exploit what is given, I am all for it. I will be honest, I was kind of hoping for an OC that has some crazy formations and put pressure on defenses. I was hoping for an OC that can stretch the field and add some excitement to a pretty dull offense. Face it, P'naude's offense was pretty boring and pretty predictable. If Godsey is that person, great. If he is the best we can get, at this point... I kind of understand that... I wish nothing but the best for Godsey and we'll see how he can make GT's offense one to fear.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Godsey would be an awful hire. The OC needs to develop a QB, and quickly.
From Godsey’s coaching history:
1. QB coach for UCF under GOL until he was moved to RB coach.
2. QB coach and OC with the Texans. Had some veteran guys before overseeing the Osweiler debacle. Never anything interesting. Never coached Watson
3. Oversaw one poor year of Stafford with the Lions.
4. Co-OC and TE coach with the Dolphins, whose fans are jumping for joy that he might leave

He has no Head Coaching experience so hiring him for that would be even more insane. He has no recruiting connections and hasn’t proven he’s actually a good coach. The Dolphins are improving but is that him? I don’t know and “maybe” isn’t good enough

A simple upgrade is not the bar. If Collins is to survive he needs to do better. And if Stansbury thinks Collins is doomed and is hiring the next coach, just fire him now.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t like the offer to Godsey. Nothing stands out to me that he will be successful in college.

It smells entirely of the current thinking of tech men and GT connections over actual success.

Look at Riley, Kelly, Huepel, etc.. these coaches have no connections and can come in a wreak havoc in a positive way.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I said this once and I'll say it again. Collins strikes me as the type that doesn't want to get outshined. I don't foresee us hiring a bigger name, than he is. I don't think he wants anyone that will step in and challenge him. While I think that's what we need, Collins' ego simply won't allow it. I may be wrong. But, I am usually very good at reading people.
Yes you have said this. Others say BS.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like the offer to Godsey. Nothing stands out to me that he will be successful in college.

It smells entirely of the current thinking of tech men and GT connections over actual success.

Look at Riley, Kelly, Huepel, etc.. these coaches have no connections and can come in a wreak havoc in a positive way.
I think it’s more of an indication that nobody except Tech alum are willing to join this dumpster fire, they are the ones willing to sacrifice to help put it out

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The issue with Godsey isn't, or shouldn't be, his NFL results. NFL is a very different animal and what works there and what works in the NCAA is often very different largely because of the time investment and resources for preparation that are available on both sides of the ball. There are plenty of great college OCs who wouldn't make great NFL OCs or would have to do things drastically different. The other direction is also true. Even if Godsey had a good OC resume in the NFL it could be in things that he can't really do at the college level.

The issue should be the overall minimal college coaching experience. Part of those issues, the recruiting part, can hopefully be covered with the rest of the staff that has been put together. But others like more limited practice time and just more weaknesses being present, talking in general for all teams, on both sides.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Kelly says an OC offer has been made, and its much higher salary than what we were used to before (thank god).

A large factor for the staff was the low assistant coach salary pool.
So let me get this straight.

We had a coach who won more and more significantly then anyone since Ross, begged for more resources the whole time, got shafted.

Then the next guy, proceeds to put together literally the worst coaching job in Tech history (worse than Bill Lewis), and we reward him with the largest amount of resources in modern Tech football????

If this is true, then we truly deserve to be bottom feeders. My god Tech can be awfully dumb in sports. No way will I ever get behind this if true.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

We had a coach who won more and more significantly then anyone since Ross, begged for more resources the whole time, got shafted.

Then the next guy, proceeds to put together literally the worst coaching job in Tech history (worse than Bill Lewis), and we reward him with the largest amount of resources in modern Tech football????

If this is true, then we truly deserve to be bottom feeders. My god Tech can be awfully dumb in sports. No way will I ever get behind this if true.
Sometimes you just don't know what a good thing you had until it's gone.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

CPJ didn't get help until ADTS got here. In his retiring presser, CPJ said he would have left earlier if TS wasn't AD.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm just glad we're finally opening the checkbook. Would you rather fix the problem, or would you prefer we spend less on staff to be more fair to CPJ?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

If the way you put it is true, then yes, it seems idiotic. However, this process has just begun and we have no idea if the budget for HC and assistants has changed at all.