OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure he reached his game-breaking potential here or that he would have next year. He averaged 5.2 YPCarry (3rd behind Smith and Sims, Mason was 4th with 5.0), and 13.3 YPCatch (2nd behind Norris, 3rd was Carter with 13.0). So he definitely added a lot to our team, but I really don't think he's irreplaceable.
You left out his impact on kick returns. He also had multiple 60+ yard touchdowns called back from penalties. Defenses had to play us completely different when Gibbs was in the game and it opened up opportunities for others. There is a reason Gibbs was leading the nation in all purpose yards, and it’s not because he's easily replaceable.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Would be 100% excited with Godsey as the hire. Would provide instant credibility to our passing game. He's also served as a tight ends coach and that would help in rebuilding that room.

As far as choosing coaches with a tech connection, that's the point. Tech is very unique in the challenges we face as one of the few STEM schools attempting to compete in power 5 football.

For those of you wanting to get under center more, highly likely you'll see a mix of both gun and center.
Ok you have my attention lol

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If we are not going to throw $$$ at hire to get a currently successful Power 5 oc , lets go to young succesful wide open oc s like coastal carolina, nevada, western kentucky.

Heck - Kendall Brilles is at Arkansas thats Run oriented. He has been highly successful at several programs.

If are cheap in paying coaches and we run a vanilla offense like the last oc, we are insane.
I don't think Godsey comes cheap.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Omg.
Is this brand over substance?

I don't know, I was simply noting that they were friends

Modern Family Idk GIF

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Being glass half-full on Godsey and the OC situation...
He's from the GOL and Belichick coaching trees. IIRC, Belichick prevented him from going to penn state with BOB...meaning he was valuable to the pats. NFL OCs don't get second chances if they're not approved by the rest of the coaching fraternity and to some extent the players. I think this could work. Likely to be better than PNode. I think he'd work very well with Key and CTC.

This also smacks of a bit of a TStan power play. Godsey isn't going to come here for peanuts either...probably looking at $1MM/yr for his services.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Dave was that great at recruiting so Dennis would be an upgrade.

Dennis is a phenomenal recruiter. Of course, when you have Ohio State on your shirt it makes recruiting life easier. That said, he was able to pull the #1 QB recruit away from Texas Longhorns...and that recruit is FROM Texas. That's high level recruiting.

Also, even as a grad assistant, he was working with OSU QBs. That's what earned him a promotion to QB coach. Every single QB that was coached by him, and two are now in the NFL, has raved about Dennis. He's widely considered an up and coming star in the coaching world.

IF we are able to pull Dennis away from OSU (I haven't really seen any indication that this is likely) to join our offensive staff, that's a homerun for CGC...and he needs homeruns right now.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You left out his impact on kick returns. He also had multiple 60+ yard touchdowns called back from penalties. Defenses had to play us completely different when Gibbs was in the game and it opened up opportunities for others. There is a reason Gibbs was leading the nation in all purpose yards, and it’s not because he's easily replaceable.
His career average on kick returns was 25.6 yards per EPSN. I do agree about the ones called back, though. I don't think it really changes things too much considering we weren't able to coach the team to not block in the back 20 yards away from the actual returner. I'd rather see us always start with a touchback anyways.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Getting Godsey would be amazing, but im not sure why he would want to come here. It doesn't seem to really benefit his career at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Getting Godsey would be amazing, but im not sure why he would want to come here. It doesn't seem to really benefit his career at all.

He will have full autonomy with putting together an offense and calling plays. He's never had that. If he gets us into the top offenses in the country, he'll have a LOT of doors open considering where our offense was this year.

GT has been a great springboard for a lot of coaches. The talent is here for him to succeed. Joe Brady was an analyst for New Orleans Saints and went to have an outstanding season at LSU as their OC and passing game coordinator. It catapaulted him to become OC of the Panthers.