O-Line Carnage

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Lucas rolled to his right once and threw behind an open receiver.

In fairness to him his head was probably spinning from being sent in and out and in and out of the game. Not to mention the other team has a very good idea of what is coming at them with each QB based on how we are using them. Few surprises for the opposing D.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In fairness to him his head was probably spinning from being sent in and out and in and out of the game. Not to mention the other team has a very good idea of what is coming at them with each QB based on how we are using them. Few surprises for the opposing D.
Have to agree we are making it to easy for the defense they now know the few plays each of our QB's plays. OC needs to pick one , I know which one I would want but because he returns KO and plays slot back you can tell that is not the one the OC wants at QB

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Really? Cmon man. You sound like you just want to make everything about Collins and Patenaude. I’m not trying to defend them blindly. I was a huge supporter of CPJ and now I’m fully behind what CGC is trying to do. Because I’m a Tech fan above all else. And I think you are too Whiskey. I also believe strongly in the saying that when you have 2 quarterbacks (or 3), then you don’t have one. We are what we are at this point in time.

Someone asked the question here about why don’t we roll the QB out if we are having trouble with the pocket, and the answer is we did, but we didn’t have much success with it. I don’t know at what point in the game Lucas rolled to his right and was off target, seemed to be early in the game, but I doubt it was because his head was spinning as you suggest. It may have been on his first drive for all I remember, and he did start the game.

Sorry for the mini rant. I miss the old GTSwarm discussions and hate seeing everything devolve into a personal argument. I know it was a bad loss. I get it.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we keep this on topic please? There are plenty of other threads where you can talk about coaching errors. I think we have 12 OL on scholarship?

Scholarship OL:
Quinney, Southers, Cooper, DeFoor,

(dressed but did not play) Hansen, Maye, Smith, Jump

Injured - Lee, Minihan, Clark, Morgan
Those injuries are killing us right now! We were already thin at OL and losing those 4 is a tough pill to swallow.

As to the healthy scholarship players not playing...
I can understand why Jump would not play since he is way undersized at 275 and played TE in high school. I would think that Maye and Smith would be better options than the walk-ons but they are both still RS Freshman so maybe they just have not developed well enough. However, I can not understand why Hansen is not out there. He has the size, experience (albeit under another system), and has looked very physical when he has played. I know he suffered an injury in spring but it seems like he has been healthy for a while and he has to be a better option than what we have out there.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our current 2020 commits on the offensive line. Since you know, this is an O-line thread...

247 recruiting rankings
Stars/ name / composite score

*** Michael Rankins .875
*** Jordan Williams .866
*** Trent Howard .847
*** Cade Kootsouradis .847
*** Wing Green .846
*** Ryan Sports .837

Looking forward to having all these young men on the team, but this isn't much of an improvement ranking wise and most of these guys only have Tech as a P5 offer.

And the recruiting for the previous o line wasnt as bad as some of you are making it to be. It's also skewed because the previous offense required a different body type so recruiting rankings don't really justify the effectiveness of the player. We've also recently had a couple of pretty well recruited OLine players. CDP said he would play to the players strengths, which I have not seen especially with this group so far.

Which leads me to my next point, if you want to run a pro style offense, you gotta beat out the other schools to get good effective players. You want to run an offense that everyone else runs, you gotta recruit from and beat the same places as the Clemson's, UGA'S and BAMAs of the world. I'm not seeing that so far. It looks pretty status quo to me.

Oh and btw that o lineman who transferred to UT counts towards the last coaching group. That's a 4 star player with many P5 recruiting offers. He should count against the current staff for not retaining him.

"Somebody asked me how are you going to recruit to Georgia Tech differently than you were at Alabama. I said, ‘(Expletive), it’s going to be easier. It’s going to be so much easier. I’ve got more to offer."
-Coach Brent Key

Rankin has as many as our current offense. Williams and Howard have as many individually as our current OL. There’s a reason we are flipping the roster at this position. Just like there is a reason we are bringing in four WR.

Gonna be a lot of freshman playing in 2019.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Rankin has as many as our current offense. Williams and Howard have as many individually as our current OL. There’s a reason we are flipping the roster at this position. Just like there is a reason we are bringing in four WR.

Gonna be a lot of freshman playing in 2019.
Oh so we flipped Parker Braun. That's really reassuring to hear.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our current 2020 commits on the offensive line. Since you know, this is an O-line thread...

247 recruiting rankings
Stars/ name / composite score

*** Michael Rankins .875
*** Jordan Williams .866
*** Trent Howard .847
*** Cade Kootsouradis .847
*** Wing Green .846
*** Ryan Sports .837

Looking forward to having all these young men on the team, but this isn't much of an improvement ranking wise and most of these guys only have Tech as a P5 offer.

And the recruiting for the previous o line wasnt as bad as some of you are making it to be. It's also skewed because the previous offense required a different body type so recruiting rankings don't really justify the effectiveness of the player. We've also recently had a couple of pretty well recruited OLine players. CDP said he would play to the players strengths, which I have not seen especially with this group so far.

Which leads me to my next point, if you want to run a pro style offense, you gotta beat out the other schools to get good effective players. You want to run an offense that everyone else runs, you gotta recruit from and beat the same places as the Clemson's, UGA'S and BAMAs of the world. I'm not seeing that so far. It looks pretty status quo to me.

Oh and btw that o lineman who transferred to UT counts towards the last coaching group. That's a 4 star player with many P5 recruiting offers. He should count against the current staff for not retaining him.

"Somebody asked me how are you going to recruit to Georgia Tech differently than you were at Alabama. I said, ‘(Expletive), it’s going to be easier. It’s going to be so much easier. I’ve got more to offer."
-Coach Brent Key
Can't disagree that your numbers lead you to your conclusions. The last recruit in ol - i think you got the wrong name - no big deal.

I have to point out that our ol recruits are way longer than in past socat least we arent going down that "but he has a big heart " path. We do have most of these guys gradyating and comingvin early so that will also help. After seeng how much better liked how defoor and quinney looked playing next to each other on left side and with all the injuries ; i think we are needing talent sooner rather than later. We are taking what """we think """are quality players who will report in January. Wish we had the top guys, but your point , recruiting in ol is not way way better.

Last edited:

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
Oh so we flipped Parker Braun. That's really reassuring to hear.

Parker had already graduated, really liked CPJ/Sewak, and also saw the writing on the wall with the talent here and didn't want to be a part of what would be (as we now all see) a terrible OL/offense (i.e. personnel unsuited for anything but the option) which would likely hurt his chances at the next level.

Would have loved to have him obviously and sucks he left but can't fault the guy one bit - worked hard and got his degree and was a great player for us so kudos to him for all of that - I don't think there was anything CGC could have done that would have kept him here.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Parker had already graduated, really liked CPJ/Sewak, and also saw the writing on the wall with the talent here and didn't want to be a part of what would be (as we now all see) a terrible OL/offense (i.e. personnel unsuited for anything but the option) which would likely hurt his chances at the next level.

Would have loved to have him obviously and sucks he left but can't fault the guy one bit - worked hard and got his degree and was a great player for us so kudos to him for all of that - I don't think there was anything CGC could have done that would have kept him here.
I can kind of see your point, but isn't CGC's whole strength that he's a recruiting genius? He should have been able to keep arguably out best player.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, the problem as far as QB goes is Lucas has never played live in a non-option offense at the college level. 3 games into it, he still is not capable of the decision-making needed. That doesn't mean he won't get there, but spring and fall practice are not live bullets. As for TO, tremendous athlete, but I think we can all see he can't pass, doesn't have the arm. As for Graham, he spend the whole summer semester focusing on academics, trying to get eligible. He's behind football wise because of that. It's fine to criticize the coaches for not going above and beyond and finding a fix. They are getting paid the money to be more than average/ok. But the fans saying outright that we made a mistake in hiring them right now are jumping the gun. Just not enough of a sample size. They've got 9 more games to show progress.
I want to preface by saying I don't mean to blame only the QB. The QB position may be the weak link, it might be the OL, might be other positions, or mix of above, but the point I was trying to make is that it seems to me that the offense side is missing teamwork and direction. Whether they didn't have enough reps as a unit, have trust issues, unprepared for opponent tendencies, too much rotation, bad playcalling, or whatever the case may be, they look to be out of sync and not playing up to their potential. Yes, the sample size is small, but the problems seem to me to be far worse than norm and not really fixable in the midst of a season.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
just imagine the taunting they'll be getting from opponents now, after losing to a high-school football team like the Citadel. Good - they'll deserve it.
If we can keep our composure and it helps us extend drives, then I’ll take whatever the other teams want to give us.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
After the Fan Day / Open Practice, I saw Brent Key on the field and said to him - 'you guys must be excited about the enthusiasm you see here today' - meaning fan turnout, etc. He immediately remarked "this was going to be a process and take some time"...he knew what cards he was holding.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
The Citadel had very similar talent on the O-Line. The difference was they were recruited to block for an option offense AND are getting to do it. Our guys were recruited to block for an option offense and are being asked to do something totally different. There is a learning curve.

Gibbs accounted for himself very well on Saturday, no question. He was thrown in and busted his tail. As fans, how in the world can we expect a kid that played GISA football and had offers from Columbia and Davidson to compete against guys that go to NC State/UGA/Miami and major in football? I'm not against this staff at all, I just think we have to reasonable as fans with our expectations.

Yes, Animal, we should have won on Saturday. It was a disaster in the last 27 seconds and never should have come down to that. I am trying to look forward to see when the next win(s) shows up. At this point, I am not sure there is a big difference between going 1-11 with a loss to The Citadel and going 2-10 with a win. If the O-Line can't win the LOS in any of the remaining games and we score <15 points, can Thack pitch a shutout on Defense to win? I am not throwing in the towel on this season at all, but it sure looks rough on the offensive side of the ball.

Bottom line on O-Line depth, we have to keep this recruiting class together and, at least, build some momentum/energy from there. Our offseason strength program is going to be vital to get some of the freshmen ready to play in 2020.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I’m obviously talking about the current roster.
You don't get to play that game of leaving things out to better prove your point. Parker Braun was recruited here and played here happily. That counts towards the previous recruiting.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Really? Cmon man. You sound like you just want to make everything about Collins and Patenaude. I’m not trying to defend them blindly. I was a huge supporter of CPJ and now I’m fully behind what CGC is trying to do. Because I’m a Tech fan above all else. And I think you are too Whiskey. I also believe strongly in the saying that when you have 2 quarterbacks (or 3), then you don’t have one. We are what we are at this point in time.

Someone asked the question here about why don’t we roll the QB out if we are having trouble with the pocket, and the answer is we did, but we didn’t have much success with it. I don’t know at what point in the game Lucas rolled to his right and was off target, seemed to be early in the game, but I doubt it was because his head was spinning as you suggest. It may have been on his first drive for all I remember, and he did start the game.

Sorry for the mini rant. I miss the old GTSwarm discussions and hate seeing everything devolve into a personal argument. I know it was a bad loss. I get it.

I hear ya. And I’m not opposed to playing all 3 of our current QBs. I just think it’s disastrously bad to swap them out as frequently as we have. And I agree with others who have criticized benching the QB that seems to have the hot hand after a scoring drive. When it’s working don’t stop what’s working. Make the opposing team do that.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't get to play that game of leaving things out to better prove your point. Parker Braun was recruited here and played here happily. That counts towards the previous recruiting.

He was leaving anyway. Read the posts directly above yours. He’s not on the team so he’s irrelevant for 2019. This OL that Collins inherited is not good. You cannot scheme around OL problems.