O-Line Carnage

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The answer is, you’re not elite.

If it takes a specific, peculiar scheme that only a couple geniuses know how to implement to get you to move a pigskin past the goal line against much weaker opponents...sorry but you’re not an elite football player and below the standards of Georgia Tech Football program.

We should have a roster where we could tell a team like The Citadel what is coming and still blow them off the ball.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think it's fair to make this claim one way or another, but I merely was trying to counter the op's point that we couldnt get good talent in the O-line with the previous coaching staff.

That wasn’t my point. Mine was this current iteration of our offense is largely devoid of talent.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think you may be off here. He originally said I'm going somewhere to "better prepare me for the NFL" which was a jab at all the crapping on the old offense and installing pro style offense talk. He later talked about the degree thing so as not to be a jerk on his way out. Some people didn't take too well to all the hype and money down stuff hence the transfer.

Surely you could link it up for us

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you may be off here. He originally said I'm going somewhere to "better prepare me for the NFL" which was a jab at all the crapping on the old offense and installing pro style offense talk. He later talked about the degree thing so as not to be a jerk on his way out. Some people didn't take too well to all the hype and money down stuff hence the transfer.

He was gone either way. Pretty sure he sprinted off the field after our last turnover against Minnesota. Didn’t even hang around for the clock to hit zero. A factory is going to best prepare him for the league either way.

Good player, I hope he gets a shot in the NFL

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
That wasn’t my point. Mine was this current iteration of our offense is largely devoid of talent.
There's enough talent here to beat the citadel and do well in the ACC especially since our division looks pretty up for grabs this year. I guess this is where we can agree to disagree.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The answer is, you’re not elite.

If it takes a specific, peculiar scheme that only a couple geniuses know how to implement to get you to move a pigskin past the goal line against much weaker opponents...sorry but you’re not an elite football player and below the standards of Georgia Tech Football program.

I hope your jersey number is hanging up at BDS somewhere the way you badmouth our current players.

Their coaches failed them Saturday.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"Exactly the same O players" minus our best offensive lineman, a senior starting QB and the only receiver with double digit career receptions. Yeahhh....
But … but I thought the party line was that Taquon was why we were losing, not why we were winning. And I also thought that having players without a P5 offer - like Brad - was a bad thing.

And we are missing Parker. Like I said at the time, the #1 task of any coach who is in a transition year is to keep the best players from the old regime. I don't blame Parker for transferring. I do blame Coach for not doing a good enough sale to keep him, but not that much. He might have left when Paul and Sewak did anyway.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I find it fascinating to read all these opinions about how its the coaching that is hurting this team. Its not the lack of talent but coaching that is holding this team back, right? If you guys have all the answers on how to make this team competitive then please call CGC and share all your wisdom. I bet our OC would love to hear all the different schemes you could run with our current personnel. There were no established OC's that was going to take this job right after CPJ and its because of this nonsense right here. The public always wants to blame the OC or DC like there is some magic wand to make any team good. Look at the comments made on here about a guy that has coached 3 games. This coaching staff, especially the offense, was dealt a bad hand and it was made worse with injuries. We are less talented on the lines then the Citadel. Let that sink in for a minute. The Citadel's dline manhandled our oline and vise versa. I think the DLine will get better this year but I cant see how oline will. We struggle just consistently snapping the ball to the QB. The last play in overtime, L. Johnson didn't have a chance to even look downfield. Even the Citadel's field goal kicker is better, a lot better.

Our best QB, Oliver, this Saturday got beat out in a running scheme last year by T. Marshall. Marshall completed 44% of his passes and had a 5/4 TD to interception ratio last year. T. Marshall was has a career record of 12-12. There is a reason this staff isn't using T.Oliver as our starting qb and its the same reason CPJ didn't. Lucas Johnson hasn't played football in 3years and it shows. He also has no chance with this oline. Hopefully when Graham gets healthy we can do more but I think its going to be a very long year.

T Marshall was a 5th year senior and Oliver a RS freshman. Hardly a fair comparison for players under CPJ who valued experience and was loyal to a fault.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Oliver was just as dynamic running the ball last year as this year. Are you saying CPJ played Marshall over Oliver due to loyalty? I think CPJ would play the best player.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Oliver was just as dynamic running the ball last year as this year. Are you saying CPJ played Marshall over Oliver due to loyalty? I think CPJ would play the best player.
You can be dynamic running the ball, but you have to be able to make the proper decisions which is where experience comes in. But I will say an argument could have been made to play Oliver last year, but it definitely wasn't as clear cut as this year.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
He coached the team last year when Temple BEAT Maryland. He’s your coach NOW and will be for at minimum the next 5 YEARS. If you don’t like it follow Army or a service academy of your choice.

LOL - why are you directing that at me? If you can't tell I was being sarcastic with that "Same team as last year" response, which is pure garbage btw, I don't know what to say.

Edit: Apologies and nevermind. I clicked "Show Ignored Content" and see who you had directed that to. Good luck with him lol

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's relevant to the argument you're making and the implication that the last coaching staff is responsible for not having what you consider good talent on the offensive line. Parker Braun leaving is completely on this current coaching staff. I guarantee the line would look way better with him in it. And that's the problem, that falls on the shoulders of the current coaching staff. Hence why it's relevant.

What? So we just make up stuff now? Braun wanted to become a teacher or college professor and wanted his grad program to reflect that. If Braun was leaving whether CPJ stayed or left, how is that on the new staff?

Animal02

Banned
What? So we just make up stuff now? Braun wanted to become a teacher or college professor and wanted his grad program to reflect that. If Braun was leaving whether CPJ stayed or left, how is that on the new staff?
It is not. Braun made the right decision for himself. Not only getting a different look from a football perspective, but an academic one as well. There is more respect out in the world have degrees from different schools than all from the same one.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yes. Recruiting was bad. Really bad. We know it. despite some who argue it was the same in other staffs, it wasn't.

still. We lost to citadel because players didn't take them seriously, coaches too quick to say their players are elite and its not close, that has to stop in public, kids are getting big heads and stink. And the coaches blundered. Oh, and the OC is downright terrible so far.

I’ve seen this multiple times. Who was said to be elite

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen this multiple times. Who was said to be elite
I've seen Collins say he wants GT to be an elite program like it was when he was here before and when he grew up watching the program. I believe I've seen him say he wants elite athletes coming here.
He's said complimentary things about some of the players, but I don't think he's said that we're back yet

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Those injuries are killing us right now! We were already thin at OL and losing those 4 is a tough pill to swallow.

As to the healthy scholarship players not playing...
I can understand why Jump would not play since he is way undersized at 275 and played TE in high school. I would think that Maye and Smith would be better options than the walk-ons but they are both still RS Freshman so maybe they just have not developed well enough. However, I can not understand why Hansen is not out there. He has the size, experience (albeit under another system), and has looked very physical when he has played. I know he suffered an injury in spring but it seems like he has been healthy for a while and he has to be a better option than what we have out there.
Hansen dressed for the first time this week. I heard that he had shoulder surgery. Probably not something you want to rush. Hopefully he’s ready for the Temple game. I can only assume that Gibbs and Lay have looked better than Maye and Smith in practice. I’m hopeful that Minihan can return. He was walking in a boot Saturday, not on crutches.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'll decide whether our coaches can coach probably around fall of '22. Recruiting, I may decide a little before that. If we ever wanted to go back to "big boy" FB it was always going to be painful for a few yrs when we did it. Set my alarm for '21, In the meantime I'll be checking in when I get up to pee. I'm old, so I get up a lot.