O-Line Carnage

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. You left out that we had a winning season and were second in the country in running the ball. The talent is there if it is used correctly. I'm guessing that nobody at this point is anticipating that we'll beat da U and UVA and curb-stomp VT this year.

All done with exactly the same O players that showed so poorly last Saturday. Remarkable, that.

"Exactly the same O players" minus our best offensive lineman, a senior starting QB and the only receiver with double digit career receptions. Yeahhh....

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
He was leaving anyway. Read the posts directly above yours. He’s not on the team so he’s irrelevant for 2019. This OL that Collins inherited is not good. You cannot scheme around OL problems.
It's relevant to the argument you're making and the implication that the last coaching staff is responsible for not having what you consider good talent on the offensive line. Parker Braun leaving is completely on this current coaching staff. I guarantee the line would look way better with him in it. And that's the problem, that falls on the shoulders of the current coaching staff. Hence why it's relevant.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Recruiting was bad. Really bad. We know it. despite some who argue it was the same in other staffs, it wasn't.

still. We lost to citadel because players didn't take them seriously, coaches too quick to say their players are elite and its not close, that has to stop in public, kids are getting big heads and stink. And the coaches blundered. Oh, and the OC is downright terrible so far.

If you’re an elite player, how do you let FCS players get into your head, so that you commit unsportsmanlike conduct?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's relevant to the argument you're making and the implication that the last coaching staff is responsible for not having what you consider good talent on the offensive line. Parker Braun leaving is completely on this current coaching staff. I guarantee the line would look way better with him in it. And that's the problem, that falls on the shoulders of the current coaching staff. Hence why it's relevant.

I believe Parker was going even if PJ stayed. Made sense both for academics and his football future.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I hear ya. And I’m not opposed to playing all 3 of our current QBs. I just think it’s disastrously bad to swap them out as frequently as we have. And I agree with others who have criticized benching the QB that seems to have the hot hand after a scoring drive. When it’s working don’t stop what’s working. Make the opposing team do that.
I agree with your philosophy but I’m not sure we’ve seen any of them have a long scoring drive yet. Maybe we have and I missed it. Nothing appears to be “working” yet. Just my opinion.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We got beat by the Citadel. Deal with it. They outplayed and outcoached us. You can say it shouldn't happen but it did. Does not mean we can not win with our team and coaches. It does mean we have to play better and coach better to have a chance to win against Temple. Right now we need to focus on today and not worry about the future. I guess this is what message boards are for but having read a lot of what has been posted following the loss on Saturday, it seems there is a lot of give up in our fanbase. This is our team. Let's see what we can do to support them.

Go Jackets!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Like others have said, Parker and his family are big Johnson/Sewak guys. He had his degree and was ready to move on when CPJ retired. It does not matter who we hired after CPJ, Parker was gone.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I believe Parker was going even if PJ stayed. Made sense both for academics and his football future.
I don't think it's fair to make this claim one way or another, but I merely was trying to counter the op's point that we couldnt get good talent in the O-line with the previous coaching staff.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The Citadel had very similar talent on the O-Line. The difference was they were recruited to block for an option offense AND are getting to do it. Our guys were recruited to block for an option offense and are being asked to do something totally different. There is a learning curve.

Gibbs accounted for himself very well on Saturday, no question. He was thrown in and busted his tail. As fans, how in the world can we expect a kid that played GISA football and had offers from Columbia and Davidson to compete against guys that go to NC State/UGA/Miami and major in football? I'm not against this staff at all, I just think we have to reasonable as fans with our expectations.

Yes, Animal, we should have won on Saturday. It was a disaster in the last 27 seconds and never should have come down to that. I am trying to look forward to see when the next win(s) shows up. At this point, I am not sure there is a big difference between going 1-11 with a loss to The Citadel and going 2-10 with a win. If the O-Line can't win the LOS in any of the remaining games and we score <15 points, can Thack pitch a shutout on Defense to win? I am not throwing in the towel on this season at all, but it sure looks rough on the offensive side of the ball.

Bottom line on O-Line depth, we have to keep this recruiting class together and, at least, build some momentum/energy from there. Our offseason strength program is going to be vital to get some of the freshmen ready to play in 2020.
LOL at, "The Citadel had very similar talent on the O-Line." The OT's Citadel played against us weighed 230, 240, and 250 lbs. Elon held them to 156 yards rushing at 3.1 ypc.

If we're struggling with OL depth, begs the question, why did CGC choose to drop a committed OT that wound up at Louisville? That guy also had offers from South Carolina and Tennessee.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Our current 2020 commits on the offensive line. Since you know, this is an O-line thread...

247 recruiting rankings
Stars/ name / composite score

*** Michael Rankins .875
*** Jordan Williams .866
*** Trent Howard .847
*** Cade Kootsouradis .847
*** Wing Green .846
*** Ryan Sports .837

Looking forward to having all these young men on the team, but this isn't much of an improvement ranking wise and most of these guys only have Tech as a P5 offer.

... #$%#% auto correct... I'm sure it's Ryan Spiers and not Ryan Sports. ;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think it's fair to make this claim one way or another, but I merely was trying to counter the op's point that we couldnt get good talent in the O-line with the previous coaching staff.

Yes!!! Unless someone thinks Braun and Shaq had no talent. We recruited some very good OL. We are hurting at OL currently however.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
A friend of mine trains athletes up in Buford. He's a big UGA fan and was training some of their defensive players for the combine after the 2014 season. They were taking about the GT/ugag game and those guys were saying all their family and friends were giving them hell for not knowing that GT was going to run to the right behind Shaq every time. They said they knew too but couldn't stop it! :)

White_Gold

GT Athlete
If you’re an elite player, how do you let FCS players get into your head, so that you commit unsportsmanlike conduct?

The answer is, you’re not elite.

If it takes a specific, peculiar scheme that only a couple geniuses know how to implement to get you to move a pigskin past the goal line against much weaker opponents...sorry but you’re not an elite football player and below the standards of Georgia Tech Football program.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean, I know we have the exact same OL. No one has gotten hurt or transferred. And our QB is the same too. Lucas Johnson really looked great last year throwing all those passes. Not sure what's happened to him. And man, has anyone seen Parker Braun lately? It was like he wasn't even OUT there this past Saturday! He just got blown up all afternoon. Poor LJ didn't have near the time he had most of last season, when he was throwing it all over the place.

I'm just glad we've got the same PK and WRs too. If it weren't for Brent King's heroics against UVA last year, we lose to the Cavs. And only the hands of Brad Stewart kept Saturday's disaster closer than it should've been. I'm glad he came back for his 5th year.

Yep - it's good we have the exact same O players back!
And he is NOT COACHING them this year.

He coached the team last year when Temple BEAT Maryland. He’s your coach NOW and will be for at minimum the next 5 YEARS. If you don’t like it follow Army or a service academy of your choice.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I am going by Parker's words that GT didnt have his graduate degree and he wanted to be tested in a different system for his NFL prospects. When it comes to the OL, Parker and Shaq are the exception, not the rule. Something about blind squirrels, broken clocks, etc.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I am going by Parker's words that GT didnt have his graduate degree and he wanted to be tested in a different system for his NFL prospects. When it comes to the OL, Parker and Shaq are the exception, not the rule. Something about blind squirrels, broken clocks, etc.
I think you may be off here. He originally said I'm going somewhere to "better prepare me for the NFL" which was a jab at all the crapping on the old offense and installing pro style offense talk. He later talked about the degree thing so as not to be a jerk on his way out. Some people didn't take too well to all the hype and money down stuff hence the transfer.