O-Line Carnage

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
As bad as the start has been to the season, I am really worried about our offense being able to score over the next 9 games. The lack of bodies on the O-Line is a MAJOR issue going forward. On Saturday's ATL chart, we had 10 linemen listed. There were 5 recruits, 2 transfers, and 3 walk-ons. That's our 2-deep....and now, Lee is hurt (I assume) for a while. This is bad....really bad.

As far as "quality", we have issues, too. This is not mean as a slight to anyone on our roster. I am 100% in support of EVERY kid that takes the field for Tech, but reality is reality.

Of our 5 OL recruits that are ATL, only Quinney even had another P5 offer. He had offers from GT, Duke, UNC, Miss St, and WF. Of course, none of the PWOs had any P5 offers. So, when you look at the 8 guys that aren't transfers, we had a grand total of FIVE P5 offers. By comparison, Casey Holman (a local GA kid that starts at LT for Duke) had 16 P5 offers. I'm not sure why, but those 16 offers did not include an offer from Tech.

Whether we run triple option, spread option, RPO, Air Raid, or something drawn up in the sand in the huddle, how will we be able to consistently get a push at the line and be able to pass protect? Because of injuries, victories from here on out may require the defense to hold the opponent to <10 pts.

The consequences of only bringing in a handful of O-Linemen over the past few years may be hard to face.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got to offer to get. Andy macullum wanted to offer ol man Hunter Rayburn of pensacola high. Andy was going to come down for a special visit to recruit him and another ol man Adrian medley.
Sewak ( position coach) wouldn't let Andy make bunter an offer because we had plenty of guards. The coach had said we had good chance if we offered both and he moved hunter to center. Hunter was not noticed by power 5 till summer then he blew up. I know his dad ( phs booster club) and he said he wants to get engr degree. ( 6 4 310 3.9 gpa 1390 sat)-they had driven to atl for visit and loved the campus.

This year during opening game of the season, he did get on the field with ga tech. He played 10 snaps at center for clemsons.
I sure like the energy of the new staff. They are out there - keep looking!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our OL is in bad shape. And creates reasonable and justifiable excuses for some of our issues. But not others such as the whirlwind QB rotations.

Given the OL situation as described above, maybe playing 3 of them is the humane thing to do! With a line like that, maybe the QB's themselves don't want to get 100% of the snaps.The rotation could be their idea!;)

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
People only believe what they want to believe. The current players we have might fit the old system better, but it it’s pretty evident that we are lacking the appropriate depth and talent seeing that we might end up taking 7 OL in this class. Three of our six current OLine recruits have pretty solid offer sheets. I’m willing to bet that Wing Green and Ryan Spiers pick up some P5 offers before this cycle ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Recruiting was bad. Really bad. We know it. despite some who argue it was the same in other staffs, it wasn't.

still. We lost to citadel because players didn't take them seriously, coaches too quick to say their players are elite and its not close, that has to stop in public, kids are getting big heads and stink. And the coaches blundered. Oh, and the OC is downright terrible so far.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Back to my original post… I’m not making excuses for the loss on Saturday, I am trying to determine what, if any, success we may have moving forward. I’m not sure how these guys are expected to pass block or move a defensive line from Miami or Georgia. I think this is even more reason to give Tobias the majority of the snaps, shorten the game, and make our offense look a lot more like the Virginia Tech game from last year.

We need to buckle up. It is going to be bumpy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On the one hand
The practices may be too rough for in season? Morgan got dinged last week
On the other hand
The 2 biggest jnjuries occured in game ( lee and mike).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Back to my original post… I’m not making excuses for the loss on Saturday, I am trying to determine what, if any, success we may have moving forward. I’m not sure how these guys are expected to pass block or move a defensive line from Miami or Georgia. I think this is even more reason to give Tobias the majority of the snaps, shorten the game, and make our offense look a lot more like the Virginia Tech game from last year.

Zero chance. We are playing walkons for depth. Its bad. Very bad. We needed no injuries and we got season ending ones in the first 3 games. Lol. Insult to injury

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’m still not sure whether CPJ only signing two OL in 2017/2018 is a bad thing or a blessing in disguise. Because anybody he signed was less likely to be a fit for what we’re doing now. So it gives CGC more spots available to recruit his own guys. And we ought to be able to fill those spots with transfers too. It’ll hurt us at the beginning but could help speed up the rebuild.

Braun leaving really was a punch in the gut. We’ve essentially replaced a possible 1st rounder with a walk-on on the OL.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
An remember, we have a had a bunch of OL leave who were not good fits for this offense, but fit an option offense like a glove...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Zero chance. We are playing walkons for depth. Its bad. Very bad. We needed no injuries and we got season ending ones in the first 3 games. Lol. Insult to injury
Lee’s injury appeared to be season ending. Not sure about Minihan though. He was walking in a boot Saturday. He got kicked in the Achilles. Maybe he can return soon. Anyone else?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone have a list of scholarship OL that we have available (i.e. not injured)? Not just those listed as "ATL" but on the roster.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't recall seeing very many roll-outs by the QB. When your OL struggles to make a pocket, you roll-out the QB. All of our QBs are athletic, maximize their opportunity to do well.

We did a few. They aren’t going to be as memorable as a pocket-imploding sack. Rolling out or bootlegs give solid run, pass option, but your opposite side receivers, while not out of the play, are limited in their routes and harder to connect with. Plus, sometimes your QB rolls right into a couple of rushers that way.

But it beats getting killed in an unstable pocket.

I’m kind of surprised I haven’t seen a two-tight-end set. Yes, they’re either transfers or newbies, but we do have 3.

Edit: We had 4 tight ends above the line for The Citadel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Can we keep this on topic please? There are plenty of other threads where you can talk about coaching errors. I think we have 12 OL on scholarship?

Scholarship OL:
Quinney, Southers, Cooper, DeFoor,

(dressed but did not play) Hansen, Maye, Smith, Jump

Injured - Lee, Minihan, Clark, Morgan

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

We don’t have a prayer against the mutts this year. They should slaughter us. And we shouldn’t hold that against CGC just because it’s the mutts. They are that dang good right now.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
We did a few. They aren’t going to be as memorable as a pocket-imploding sack. Rolling out or bootlegs give solid run, pass option, but your opposite side receivers, while not out of the play, are limited in their routes and harder to connect with. Plus, sometimes your QB rolls right into a couple of rushers that way.

But it beats getting killed in an unstable pocket.

I’m kind of surprised I haven’t seen a two-tight-end set. Yes, they’re either transfers or newbies, but we do have 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Lucas rolled to his right once and threw behind an open receiver.

Animal02

Banned
We don’t have a prayer against the mutts this year. They should slaughter us. And we shouldn’t hold that against CGC just because it’s the mutts. They are that dang good right now.
Correct.......and nobody held the Clemson loss against him either........in fact most people praised the D improvement regardless of the loss.