Northwestern Game Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can see both sides of the Sampson discussion. I see his rebounding, where he appears to be a beast. And yes, his energy is good. I too cringe when he shoots a three (but guess what, he is 4-10 so far from there). There is something about his game that makes me react negatively, yet when I look at it analytically, I conclude I am wrong and that he is contributing.

I dunno. <shrugs>
I think it goes back to the fact that almost nothing we do is going to look pretty, but if we play with mental & phyical toughness, we've generally had a shot at positive results so far.

I know the day is coming when a flat out superior team beats us badly. It's going to happen. Question is whether we can get over that hump to stay competitive every game and hopefully see more positive results.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game felt like the GA Southern FB game to me. Got out to a great start, really controlled the game for most of it and then almost blew it late.

Good FT shooting tonight.
I thought Sampson had his best game. He isn't always pretty but he plays hard, rebounds really well, a little too careless with the ball. Is our big most capable of defending away from the basket.

The PG play was excellent last night. Heath had his best game as a collegiate player. His little jumper in the lane is a really useful weapon as it will force teams to decide whether to try to come at him (which opens a lane to dump to a big) or to leave him to shoot it. He did not look to shoot at all last year so that is a nice development. You can tell his confidence is high right now. The PG combined were 7-11, 15 pts, 10 assists, 1 TO. I'd take that all year long.

We didn't shoot well from outside but didn't settle for long shots either.
Some of the combinations looked wonky- hope not to see them again.

Mitchell had a quietly effective game. He is up to 68% FT on the year. I'd take that percentage all year long with him.

Tadric's game is just off. it feels like his confidence is just off a little. I wonder if they will force feed him more minutes in the 2 money games to try to get him in a better place.

I don't see Hunt putting this team in his back. In order to win this team needs 4 guys to step up every game (doesn't have to be the same four, just has to be four).

If this team could somehow win 2 out of Vandy, Charlotte, Dayton it will be a very successful OOC run.

As mediocre as this team has looked it has found itself to 6-1 (not many ACC teams can say that). Sort of like the FB team, find ways to win and keep working to get better and see how the chips fall.

Some of the top teams in the conference are going to kill this team, but this team can compete with the middle of the pack teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The blue uniforms looked good.

I thought the team looked ... well especially he first 5 minutes :)

Talked with a NW alum a few minutes ago .... he said that not even NW could recover from a 20-2 hole. Generally I like the NW fans a lot. Good solid people. One is even the godfather to my son..........

As far as basketball goes, I'll wait a while to get involved but appreciate the posts with some unedited detail. Much better to read than coach speak or GT filtered comments. Thanks.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Tadric needs more minutes, he wasn't playing good but he hardly played and he is a threat when he's out there and honestly our other options aren't anything great that he shouldn't be playing more.

His shot selection is absolutely atrocious. Until that improves, I'm not sure BG is gonna put him out there. Which is a shame, because if he he plays smart basketball he can be our best scorer

The thing I'm most excited about is how automatic that Heath midrange shot/floater is. Has anyone seen him miss it all year? Add that to his 5/1 assist to turnover ratio and I may be in love

I'm not sure if his stamina won't allow it, but I'd love to see Mitchell get closer to 30 minutes. He continues to be our best scoring option down low and can hit the big basket when we need it. When we have a big lead to protect, we need to feed him (and Cox/Sampson as well) in the post instead of jacking up 3's

Our transition defense is awful. Hope this is something Gregory continues to work on in practice

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The defense looked good except leaving them wide open from 3. I don't think many teams will beat us inside this year, but we will get demolished by a good 3 point shooting team. Not sure how Frankenstein hit that 3 at the end to make it close, but I'm glad we didn't let him inside.

Our team needs to realize we don't need to shoot the 3. I feel like a lot of ugly shots were thrown up just because the guy was barely open. Q Stephens needs to set his feet and he knows this, he said so after the first game where he was lights out.

Heath and his pull up jumper will hurt quite a few teams this year. As soon as someone bites on it Cox/Mitchell will be right there for the dish and easy 2. If we could learn to bury a wide open 3 he could be even more dangerous with a pass outside. I hope we don't just become a one trick pony with this but it sure was effective last night

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Tadric needs to go straight up. The slightly fade away, kick your leg out stuff should find a seat right next to Boldens floater. If your going to shoot that mid range pull up, head fake, then go up. Maybe get fouled, and the way he shoots FT ill take that all night. Watching the ball go through the net on FT may get him going.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Cudos and a tip of the hat to our PGs. Heath gave us some much needed offense. Jorg can penetrate and get it inside to our big men. All in all a decent choice as they both slowly develop.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
2 things...

Loved after Boldens behind the back he had a little something to say to the guy and second it seems after Tadrics big game against Marquette he has hardly played lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not that it really matters because both PGs are seeing a lot of time, but I think Heath needs to move to starter and possibly see his minutes go up. I understand CBG wanting to play the rust off TJ before we get in conference though. It seems like Heath is getting more comfortable with his teammates and he's showing a little more of his arsenal every game.

If TJ can work the rust off, PG play is going to be a strength for us. Haven't been able to say that in a while. Heath and TJ will share the backcourt for 2 more years...that is pretty awesome.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thankfully we did well at the FT line or this would have been a loss.

Bolden's behind the back fake was very nice.

Hope we mature A LOT in the next couple of weeks. We have a long way to go.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tadric needs to go straight up. The slightly fade away, kick your leg out stuff should find a seat right next to Boldens floater. If your going to shoot that mid range pull up, head fake, then go up. Maybe get fouled, and the way he shoots FT ill take that all night. Watching the ball go through the net on FT may get him going.

No doubt.. He needs to put that on the shelf. I'm as big of a Tadric fan as there is here, but I agree with MM. Until he stops jacking up shots just to jack them up, he is going to ride the pine. IMO, BG relegated him to the bench last night to send a message. I like the aggressiveness, but he has been too aggressive. Like someone said earlier, maybe he will figure it out against one of the lesser teams on the schedule.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Something that I don't think anyone mentioned, but BG mentioned in his presser was that this was our 4th game in 7 days, compared to NW who had been off since the previous Wednesday. BG said "we may have ran out of juice a little bit there at the end of the first half"

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The way I'm interpreting it, seems like he's saying it's a bad loss for Northwestern because they couldn't capitalize on beating an ACC team at home when they had the chance.

Norlander may consider us a lower tier ACC team, which is a fair statement until proven otherwise (I think we're currently better than expected), but he's generally fair and doesn't have an axe to grind.