Northwestern Game Thread

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
On Wednesday, Georgia Tech will be taking on Northwestern in Evanston in the ACC-Big Ten challenge

Like most of these non-conference games, I think most of us see this Northwestern game as a must win

Northwestern is 5-1 with wins over Houston Baptist, Brown, North Florida, Elon, Miami (OH) and a 19 point blowout loss to UNI

Game preview

12) Georgia Tech at Northwestern, Wednesday at 9:15 p.m. ET (ESPNU) -- This is a ho-hum matchup between two teams that likely won’t be in the NCAA tourney. The Yellow Jackets got a nice win in the season-opener against Georgia, but then lost to Marquette down in Orlando. Northwestern will be good in time, but Chris Collins plays a ton of freshmen. I’m going with Brian Gregory’s team on the road.

Final score: Georgia Tech 73, Northwestern 72

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is not a gimme game.

They have 4 guys getting 9ppg or better and none of them is named JerShonn Cobb who averaged over 12ppg last year but has yet to get on track. They shoot 35% from deep and get about 7 treys per game. They also shoot about 72% from the FT line and get there about 18x pg.

We on the other hand shoot 30% from deep, get 5 treys a game(>20% of those on the season were from Q in game one), shoot 61% from the line as a team but we do get there quite a bit more.

Originally I had this game as a win.
On the road, against a big ten team that can shoot from deep against our, what can only be described as porous, perimeter defense and they make their free throws. Dont feel that just because they lost to UNI they are terrible. Ben Jacobson has that program performing well.

CBG is 10-29 against power conference teams (ACC, BE, B10, SEC, PAC12,BIG12) on the road or neutral sites while at GT.

I expect the line to be a pk.

NW 71 GT 67

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To echo @Peacone36 - there will be a lot of opportunities to lose this game. I'm going to keep harping my theme of energy from the tip, especially on defense.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe you all have not looked at NW schedule. I do not see us losing this game. If anything I see us winning BIG if we play like we did against UGA.

NW 65-58 Houston Baptist?
NW 69-56 Brown??
NW 69-67 North Florida???
I live near Jacksonville, FL and trust me UNF is no basketball powerhouse that should play that close to a Power 5 conference team.
NW 68-67 OT Elon????? Really? OT??
NW 55-46 Miami (Ohio)
Then
NW 42 - 61 UNI lost....smh

I just don't see why we should lose this game. If UNF lost by 2 and Elon took them to overtime both on their home court. I just don't see us losing this game. Im sorry. I just can't see it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Crap, I was really hoping that we'd look good enough in our fist 6 games, that I'd take the hit of driving across town before and after the game and still get to work on Thursday morning. I'm just not enthused, and I'm trying to stir it up.

Well, we'll see if I get enough work done early to meet deadlines.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you all have not looked at NW schedule. I do not see us losing this game. If anything I see us winning BIG if we play like we did against UGA.

NW 65-58 Houston Baptist?
NW 69-56 Brown??
NW 69-67 North Florida???
I live near Jacksonville, FL and trust me UNF is no basketball powerhouse that should play that close to a Power 5 conference team.
NW 68-67 OT Elon????? Really? OT??
NW 55-46 Miami (Ohio)
Then
NW 42 - 61 UNI lost....smh

I just don't see why we should lose this game. If UNF lost by 2 and Elon took them to overtime both on their home court. I just don't see us losing this game. Im sorry. I just can't see it.

Because we lost to Marquette and were taken to the wire by Rider?

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
I can see us going at least 5-1 in the next 6 games before ACC play and at worse 4-2. I honestly believe they should go into ACC play 10-2.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Rider is better than UNI?

No reason to get bent out of shape. Just one mans opinion. I certainly welcome yours.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
Rider is better than UNI?

No reason to get bent out of shape. Just one mans opinion. I certainly welcome yours.

Marquette better than UNI and Rider better than UNF is what I was getting at. Our lost is better than theirs and our schedule to this point has been harder than theirs.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Northwestern will be amped to play us, but I hope that going on the road into an opponents home court will help us focus. Over the last few years, BG's team have actually fared pretty well on the road. Another good test for our guys.

This is a game that we are definitely capable of winning if we come in and execute. As will be the case often this year, it comes down to our ability to play perimeter D and knock down shots. We gotta take better care of the basketball as a team as well. Too many careless turnovers over the past game or two.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hope spring eternal in my heart, and I will continue to hope that the light goes on for Bolden, that MGH somehow can convert some of that potential into results, that Jorgensen looks like he did in the first 4 games last year, and that Lammers begins to channel Luke Schensher (sp?). (I could go on, but you get my point.) I will watch with interest the development of Tadric Jackson (I have not looked at his minutes, but it seemed to me he did not play much against URI).

But, like Peacone, I am not really confidant of a win at all.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This should be an interesting game. GT has not fared well on the road in the Challenge - hopefully that can change tomorrow. GT has lost both games against NW, though both were with Bill Carmody and his Princeton offense which is no more.

NW basically has a 6 man rotation (they account for 83% of min) and then use about 4 other guys in spot minutes.
They have started the same 5 in all six games
PG - 6'3 177 FR Bryant McIntosh
SG - 6'5 208 R-SR Jershon Cobb (Decatur native)
SF - 6'7, 185 FR Vic Law (GT recruited last year)
PF - 6'6, 220 R-So Sanjay Lumpkin
C - 7' 270 R-JR Alex Olah

Six man Tre Demps 6'3, 198 R-Jr gets starter minutes and is their leading scorer. He has hit 2 game winning shots this year.
Cobb appears to not be 100% recovered from his injury as he is not playing that well.
Both starting FR are playing pretty well for FR - a little inconsistent, but both have 3 double figure scoring games in 6 appearances.
Lumpkin was avg over 12 ppg his first 4 games, but has 2 points his last 2 games combined.
Olah had a great first game going 21/10 but has been quiet since then with only 1 double figure scoring game.

They don't put much pressure on the ball as NW only average 3 steals per game.
Lumpkin is shooting an insane 73% from the floor (16-22).
Olah is not a great offensive player despite avg almost 10 ppg, he is only shooting 40% from the field, very poor for a 7' center.

They have played one good team and got waxed by 20 to Northern Iowa. The 5 wins come against a pretty weak schedule. They are not an overly gifted offensive team so they haven't really been able to get any sizable leads on anybody so far.