Northwestern Game Thread

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
GT-66, NW 58. Well, don't look now, but the Jackets are 6-1 (with the only loss to the Flying Carlinos of Marquette). I was impressed with the early run to start the game, but even more impressed with the late composure against Northwestern's surge. You knew it was coming, but the question was: can we handle it? Can we take their best shot and keep our lead to the end? Well, we did. Josh Heath had some HUGE plays down the stretch, playing with great control and composure. Sampson and Mitchell both had good games, and MGH and Bolden hit the free throws at the end.

I am sure this will not bring too many back to the bandwagon yet, but this was a good win against a decent NW team (the beat us in the previous two meetings, by the way). Keep it up, Jackets!

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Heath has been a nice surprise, been playing good ball for us and should start.
Tadric needs more minutes, he wasn't playing good but he hardly played and he is a threat when he's out there and honestly our other options aren't anything great that he shouldn't be playing more.
Bolden I think should play more just bc he at least is a threat to hit a jumper and the D has to respect that.
Hunt is what he is at this point a good player but he's not going to be able to put the team on his back but he's a solid piece.
Our bigs sure do love to travel must be taking some post lessens from Kam lol
I like Charles hes our best big man so far. Cox is big and physical and can do some things but he has made some good power moves on the left block and than try's to shoot a little layup over/through the defender that doesn't work, he just needs to use his left hand in that spot and he will have a lot better chance to finish through the contact or getting a foul called.
Like Lammers would like to see him get a lot of Sampsons minutes. And idk what it is about Sampson yaull like but I don't see it. Don't think he had a good game, didn't come close to making that one dunk, banked a three (which hardly counts), that one lob hit off his hands and somehow went in. He had the one good alley, but when ever he has the ball I just want him to pass as quick as possible. Don't get me wrong he hustles which is good but this is ACC bball and at this level just hustling isn't going to cut it. Don't think he would get off the bench at most ACC schools except maybe the bottom couple... Maybe. Lastly, I can't stand when we go in these big scoring droughts and you look on the court and there is basically 0 threat to score out there, were basically hoping Hunt can find a way to bully his way to the hoop and get a bucket. Than you look on the bench and the only threats to actually shoot the ball our sitting and their D is just clogging the lane and doubling our big men. No wonder we can't score you gotta have some people to space the floor and we don't have that, but you at least got to have someone that they will have to respect the threat of him hitting a shot. Can never have to much shooting.

Sorry for the rant. Glad we got the win but it wasn't pretty. On to the next one 6-1!

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Heath has been a nice surprise, been playing good ball for us and should start.
Tadric needs more minutes, he wasn't playing good but he hardly played and he is a threat when he's out there and honestly our other options aren't anything great that he shouldn't be playing more.
Bolden I think should play more just bc he at least is a threat to hit a jumper and the D has to respect that.
Hunt is what he is at this point a good player but he's not going to be able to put the team on his back but he's a solid piece.
Our bigs sure do love to travel must be taking some post lessens from Kam lol
I like Charles hes our best big man so far. Cox is big and physical and can do some things but he has made some good power moves on the left block and than try's to shoot a little layup over/through the defender that doesn't work, he just needs to use his left hand in that spot and he will have a lot better chance to finish through the contact or getting a foul called.
Like Lammers would like to see him get a lot of Sampsons minutes. And idk what it is about Sampson yaull like but I don't see it. Don't think he had a good game, didn't come close to making that one dunk, banked a three (which hardly counts), that one lob hit off his hands and somehow went in. He had the one good alley, but when ever he has the ball I just want him to pass as quick as possible. Don't get me wrong he hustles which is good but this is ACC bball and at this level just hustling isn't going to cut it. Don't think he would get off the bench at most ACC schools except maybe the bottom couple... Maybe. Lastly, I can't stand when we go in these big scoring droughts and you look on the court and there is basically 0 threat to score out there, were basically hoping Hunt can find a way to bully his way to the hoop and get a bucket. Than you look on the bench and the only threats to actually shoot the ball our sitting and their D is just clogging the lane and doubling our big men. No wonder we can't score you gotta have some people to space the floor and we don't have that, but you at least got to have someone that they will have to respect the threat of him hitting a shot. Can never have to much shooting.

Sorry for the rant. Glad we got the win but it wasn't pretty. On to the next one 6-1!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like Lammers would like to see him get a lot of Sampsons minutes. And idk what it is about Sampson yaull like but I don't see it. Don't think he had a good game, didn't come close to making that one dunk, banked a three (which hardly counts), that one lob hit off his hands and somehow went in. He had the one good alley, but when ever he has the ball I just want him to pass as quick as possible. Don't get me wrong he hustles which is good but this is ACC bball and at this level just hustling isn't going to cut it. Don't think he would get off the bench at most ACC schools except maybe the bottom couple...

I think Sampson had his best game tonight and was critical to our success. First, I don't care how it goes in... if it goes in, it counts.

We don't win without his contributions tonight. 3rd most pts tonight, got them efficiently, led us in boards, had a couple of blocks, hustled on defense and set solid picks on offense.

I think he has been and will continue to be a valuable role player for this team and I think he'd be a valuable role player at a number of ACC schools.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Haven't been able to watch too many games yet this year but Heath was extremely impressive. Nice to see a guard who can make a midrange jumper off the dribble.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Sampson had his best game tonight and was critical to our success. First, I don't care how it goes in... if it goes in, it counts.

We don't win without his contributions tonight. 3rd most pts tonight, got them efficiently, led us in boards, had a couple of blocks, hustled on defense and set solid picks on offense.

I think he has been and will continue to be a valuable role player for this team and I think he'd be a valuable role player at a number of ACC schools.
It does matter how it goes in. Not for that one shot but you don't want someone shooting threes that accidently banks a wide open one in. Its not a good sign. If there's one thing I know its about shooting and trust me banking 3s from the top of the key means he shouldn't shoot many 3s. I no you like him but it is what it is. I love tech bball to and want nothing but the best for them, just think if he is getting major minutes thats not good for our team.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
We will see how he does once the competition picks up. Don't want you to think im just here to be negative. My long post was basically all positive about the guys except for Sampson.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
PG play - from ramblinwreck.com game notes:

"Tech point guards Travis Jorgenson (5 assists, 1 turnover) and Josh Heath (5 assists, no turnovers) combined for 10 assists and one turnover. For the season they have a combined 3-to-1 assist/turnover ratio.

Heath logged his third zero-turnover game of the season and has 34 assists to just seven turnovers, nearly 5-to-1."

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't able to watch this game, but from the comments above, it seems like we won (yay) but went stretches playing poor offensive basketball (ugh). This would seem to mirror what we have seen in the games prior to this one, except that it is nice to see the "good stretch". That would be two games in a row where we had a solid run for a period of time, and then held on for dear life. But at least we had the solid run.

Sounds like our defense was a bit better (from reading the box score). That is also good. Gregory teams have to play decent D, as the D feeds the O.

I (like others) am frustrated that he does not give enough minutes to our (few) three point shooting threats. Tadric Jackson especially needs to play more, as it seems obvious to me he has potential that will only be realized through experience and playing time. I hope we see a whole lot more time for him in the remaining December games. Even Bolden has looked better to me than in prior years (NB-I said better, not great). When we have no three point shooters out there, the lane looks as crowded as a Tokyo subway car during rush hour. Our PG's move to dribble penetrate run into brick walls when that is the case, and our bigs commit their turnovers when that is the case. Got to solve that puzzle. A pure shooter would help a ton, but we have decent shooters, and they must play.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will see how he does once the competition picks up. Don't want you to think im just here to be negative. My long post was basically all positive about the guys except for Sampson.

I do agree, that unlike Robert Carter, Sampson's pts will (and should) overwhelmingly be coming from the post, but I think he takes about 1 3ptr/game and he does OK. If he's taking that 1 wide open 3ptr/game, I can live with that, hits & misses.

My concern isn't his offense, but how he's affecting the game in rebounding and on defense. I really like our frontcourt as a whole and I think we need his athleticism to balance out Mitchell & Cox.

I'd also agree with you that Lammers minutes need to start going up and I think he pairs well with Chuck at the 4.

Don't think you're being overly negative, I just think Sampson is already contributing quite a bit, despite the stat sheet. I'll also readily admit to seeing mistakes from here & there

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I can see both sides of the Sampson discussion. I see his rebounding, where he appears to be a beast. And yes, his energy is good. I too cringe when he shoots a three (but guess what, he is 4-10 so far from there). There is something about his game that makes me react negatively, yet when I look at it analytically, I conclude I am wrong and that he is contributing.

I dunno. <shrugs>