nonpolitical medical issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared to defend gain-of-function research as “important” despite its pandemic “risk” in a 2012 paper exposed by The Australian. The National Pulse can also reveal similar comments from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director during a 2012 conference focused on the controversial form of research.Hosted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the December event – “Gain-of-Function Research on HPAI H5N1 Viruses” – counted Fauci as a speaker during the introductory session.The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director appears to defend gain-of-function research, which increases the virulence and lethality of infectious diseases, as “integral.” He also describes his agency as “the major funders of most but not all of these people” who carry out the form of research. SLIDE FROM FAUCI’S PRESENTATION.

Screen-Shot-2021-05-28-at-6.33.27-PM-1160x595.png

Fauci acknowledges the potential drawbacks of gain-of-function research, noting there was “concern” that the “products or information generated by these experiments might be used by others in a way that could harm society either carelessly, in an unregulated fashion, by inexperienced people, or even by deliberate misuse.”

Dr Anthony Fauci admitted that there is no way to know if Chinese scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology lied and conducted what are called 'gain of function' experiments on bat coronaviruses using U.S. tax dollars. 'There's no way of guaranteeing that,' Fauci said Wednesday at a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, responding to a question from Republican Senator John Kennedy. 'But in our experience with grantees, including Chinese grantees, which we have had interactions with for a very long period of time - they are very competent, trustworthy scientists.'

Deleted member 2897

Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared to defend gain-of-function research as “important” despite its pandemic “risk” in a 2012 paper exposed by The Australian. The National Pulse can also reveal similar comments from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director during a 2012 conference focused on the controversial form of research.Hosted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the December event – “Gain-of-Function Research on HPAI H5N1 Viruses” – counted Fauci as a speaker during the introductory session.The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director appears to defend gain-of-function research, which increases the virulence and lethality of infectious diseases, as “integral.” He also describes his agency as “the major funders of most but not all of these people” who carry out the form of research. SLIDE FROM FAUCI’S PRESENTATION.

Screen-Shot-2021-05-28-at-6.33.27-PM-1160x595.png

Fauci acknowledges the potential drawbacks of gain-of-function research, noting there was “concern” that the “products or information generated by these experiments might be used by others in a way that could harm society either carelessly, in an unregulated fashion, by inexperienced people, or even by deliberate misuse.”

Dr Anthony Fauci admitted that there is no way to know if Chinese scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology lied and conducted what are called 'gain of function' experiments on bat coronaviruses using U.S. tax dollars. 'There's no way of guaranteeing that,' Fauci said Wednesday at a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, responding to a question from Republican Senator John Kennedy. 'But in our experience with grantees, including Chinese grantees, which we have had interactions with for a very long period of time - they are very competent, trustworthy scientists.'

Part of this is parsing words. In the EcoHealth grant, as we've linked to here, it specifically states the purpose was to study what factors increase potential spillover. That's referring to viruses that jump from animals to humans.

GT_EE78

Banned
Part of this is parsing words. In the EcoHealth grant, as we've linked to here, it specifically states the purpose was to study what factors increase potential spillover. That's referring to viruses that jump from animals to humans.
that's true of his senate testimony last week but not the 2012 speech which clearly addressed "gain of function" research.

Deleted member 2897

that's true of his senate testimony last week but not the 2012 speech which clearly addressed "gain of function" research.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Its semantics - studying spillover is the same as gain of function. Its like using a synonym. They basically stated in their grant they were doing gain of function research.

Deleted member 2897

Exactly. And businesses have choice not to have you as an employee and schools have a choice not to have you as a student and governments have a choice to set public policy. All freedoms are dependent on how you interpret your obligations to others.

Yup. Our rights and freedoms are as individuals, not groups (which many people have forgotten). So there are places those freedoms stop, when it impacts others' rights and freedoms. We have the right to bear arms. I don't have the right to own a ballistic missile. 🤪 Requiring immunization for certain things is a long standing thing. Eventually, requiring immunization for covid will go away. Our weekly deaths are already below the expected number...going on months like this. But over the prior few months when numbers were still high and hospitalizations and deaths were high, it was a logical requirement. Like 1 state requires a flu vaccine for schools. The flu kills more young people than covid. This stuff will eventually come back into balance and end its glorious run of hysteria. It is not illogical (pardon the double negative) that some places have been requiring vaccines or thinking about it.

Exactly. And businesses have choice not to have you as an employee and schools have a choice not to have you as a student and governments have a choice to set public policy. All freedoms are dependent on how you interpret your obligations to others.

I still haven't figured out why I'm obligated to take a vaccination to protect others who choose not to take the vaccine.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still haven't figured out why I'm obligated to take a vaccination to protect others who choose not to take the vaccine.
If I want to be part of a society I have to fulfill certain obligations, otherwise I don’t get the privileges that go with being part of that society. If others choose not to be part of society that’s their choice. But they shouldn’t cry about the consequences.

If I want to be part of a society I have to fulfill certain obligations, otherwise I don’t get the privileges that go with being part of that society. If others choose not to be part of society that’s their choice. But they shouldn’t cry about the consequences.

Sure. If we don't take part in your utopia, we may die. I get it, but it's still our right as Americans to accept the level of risk the we are willing to live with.

Deleted member 2897

Sure. If we don't take part in your utopia, we may die. I get it, but it's still our right as Americans to accept the level of risk the we are willing to live with.

Hes not saying you have to be vaccinated. He’s just saying if you’re not, there will probably be limitations and where you can go and what you can do.

Deleted member 2897

He's saying that it's ok for businesses to discriminate against the majority of the American population if they don't make the decision that he has. Are we now a communist nation?

It should always be okay for people and companies to discriminate. That’s liberty. If I don’t want to bake a cake with a big ***** on it for someone, I shouldn’t have to. During a pandemic, if I want to require people to wear a mask to enter my store, I can do that. I could also say you have to wear gold to come in. And people also have the right to not work there and not shop there. Our numbers are asymptotically approaching zero, so this will eventually become a nonissue, but it’s something many people care about right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a huge statue in Enterprise AL dedicated to the bole weevil. The little critter kept destroying the cotton crop and forced local farmers to find another money maker. When they switched to peanuts it saved their farms. COVID forced an accelerated project to develop mRNA vaccines that may transform how we fight lots of diseases in the future. Some good may come of this whole horrible year we have lived through. Maybe we will have a COVID statue on every courthouse square.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
He's saying that it's ok for businesses to discriminate against the majority of the American population if they don't make the decision that he has. Are we now a communist nation?
Interesting. I would have assumed you were pro-business but it seems you want to be able to dictate to a business what level of decorum they are allowed to have in their own business. Explain please, how businesses deciding for themselves the requirement to patronize there - how is that communism?

I get it. You don't want to get the vaccine and that is your right. But don't expect to still be able to to do whatever you want after. If you don't get your typical vaccine stack, you don't get to go to attend a college. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Tie and jacket required. Golf course dress code. Etc., etc., etc....

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a huge statue in Enterprise AL dedicated to the bole weevil. The little critter kept destroying the cotton crop and forced local farmers to find another money maker. When they switched to peanuts it saved their farms. COVID forced an accelerated project to develop mRNA vaccines that may transform how we fight lots of diseases in the future. Some good may come of this whole horrible year we have lived through. Maybe we will have a COVID statue on every courthouse square.
To add, the mRNA vaccines have been in development for decades they aren't some new novel concept just dreamt up during the pandemic.

Deleted member 2897

I would much more prefer destroying the CDC headquarters campus, reducing it to a pile of rubble, and turning it into a clown-themed amusement park.

Interesting. I would have assumed you were pro-business but it seems you want to be able to dictate to a business what level of decorum they are allowed to have in their own business. Explain please, how businesses deciding for themselves the requirement to patronize there - how is that communism?

I get it. You don't want to get the vaccine and that is your right. But don't expect to still be able to to do whatever you want after. If you don't get your typical vaccine stack, you don't get to go to attend a college. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Tie and jacket required. Golf course dress code. Etc., etc., etc....

Not to get too taboo here, but if I required those who enter my store to prove that they leaned one way or the other on government policy decisions, would you be hunky dory with that as well?

Better yet, if you had to show your ID at the door and prove that you have not gotten the vaccine via an online vaccine database before entering the store, would you be in favor of that as well?

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not to get too taboo here, but if I required those who enter my store to prove that they leaned one way or the other on government policy decisions, would you be hunky dory with that as well?

Better yet, if you had to show your ID at the door and prove that you have not gotten the vaccine via an online vaccine database before entering the store, would you be in favor of that as well?
Can a tool and die shop require that employees wear safety glasses while in the shop area? Can they require that employees wear safety glasses while using machinery that throws metal shavings? By your arguments, why can't an employee simply state that they don't like to wear safety glasses and refuse to wear them?

Are you also against removing requirements from schools that students provide proof of vaccination for MMR, Hepatitis, and Polio? Your arguments sound a lot like the nutjobs on the internet who have been against vaccinating children for anything. (Not intending to call you a nutjob, just pointing out that you are making the same arguments as those people)

For your second argument, I have not seen any reports of any stores that are requiring proof of vaccination to enter. In fact, every store that I have been in that has signs that non-vaccinated people still need to wear masks is running on the honor system. Have you personally been prevented from entering a store because you were not vaccinated, or is this just a strawman of some potential possibility that maybe might possibly happen sometime in the future that you want to address immediately?

GT_EE78

Banned
To add, the mRNA vaccines have been in development for decades they aren't some new novel concept just dreamt up during the pandemic.
they did start mRNA vaccine development after SARS in 2003.
all failed in the lab tests due to illness and death.
I'm sorely disappointed that i've never seen anything published as to how they were improved for safety

Status
Not open for further replies.