No Slant Route - WHY?

Milwaukee

Banned
The fumble wasn't the issue. The issue is there are tendencies by defenses, blatant tendencies, that our paid staff aren't seeing and that bothers me.

But Yello nailed it, this board is becoming less and less able to discuss X's and O's cause the same ones keep getting so sensitive about any ideology related to football that second guesses the coaching staff.

Good God, grow up.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Anybody who thinks that changes are not required to the program is kidding themselves. Enough is enough. We are putting out a very shoddy product out on the field. I know there are a 101 reasons for our record, but we are just playing bad football in all phases of the game. I don't know what changes need to be made. I'm sure CPJ knows better. But he better get the ship righted and soon. It's not our W-L record that is bugging me, but how inept we are in all phases of the game. It's sickening.

I'm not going to call for coaches' heads etc. I'm not knowledgable enough to evaluate that. But changes absolutely need to be made to the program. I'm getting tired of a developing extremist faction on this board that tries to bully and censor any and all criticism. This is becoming the opposite of Bbuzzoff. I'm sorry, but if all you want to hear is kumbaya, go watch some Disney movies.

I agree 100%. I like the system, but there are some serious issues right now.

1. We need to be more aggressive on defense...not just sometimes, but all the time

2. We need a set that is built for obvious passing situations. We waste a ton of time dropping back in the weirdest technique I've ever seen when we could possibly hit a short route when pressure comes. No reason to be under center on 3rd and 30...ever

3. a bunch of other stuff I'm not qualified to suggest

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Would agree that on "obvious" passing downs example give 3rd and 30 and the ilk, probably should be from the gun and not under center.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100%. I like the system, but there are some serious issues right now.

1. We need to be more aggressive on defense...not just sometimes, but all the time

2. We need a set that is built for obvious passing situations. We waste a ton of time dropping back in the weirdest technique I've ever seen when we could possibly hit a short route when pressure comes. No reason to be under center on 3rd and 30...ever

3. a bunch of other stuff I'm not qualified to suggest

1. fully and completely agree!

2. I've no doubt that's crossed the coaches minds more than once, what I do know it time with the players is limited by NCAA guidelines and a decision was made by PJ and the staff to work on an offense that should, can and usually does avoid, by it very nature, those specific scenarios. I would definitely love to see more of a quick passing game incorporated.

3. that true of each and everyone of us. nobody I know on this board (or any other) earns their livelihood coaching D1 football.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
The fumble wasn't the issue. The issue is there are tendencies by defenses, blatant tendencies, that our paid staff aren't seeing and that bothers me.

But Yello nailed it, this board is becoming less and less able to discuss X's and O's cause the same ones keep getting so sensitive about any ideology related to football that second guesses the coaching staff.

Good God, grow up.
Amen man. I love Georgia Tech and this board, but got to quit nuking threads or replies to censor stuff. We can't be afraid of trolling cause let's be honest we can see it if it is. I like CPJ but sometimes I wish we let Cook get a shot at calling plays or having a OC. All the other option teams have one. Not saying CPJ has lost touch, but there are blatant tendencies we are not taking advantage of. Go Jackets. Up with the White and Gold.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL. It's like some of yall think fumble is a called play. The self esteem of rock bags is on the rise.

Many of them result from players being in the wrong position or a defensive player being where they shouldn't. That's on the scheme, recruiting, and coaching. For three months, these problems should have been fixed. Southern just went up.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sorry that you feel this way about GTSwarm. If you would please report any posts that you feel are "extremist" then the moderators will address those concerns. You can find the Report button under each post. Thanks.

Thanks for responding jwasvhGT. There are snide comments on this very thread by some people. I'm not a huge fan of reporting posts, because I'm all about freedom of expression. But some people are starting to make it difficult for others who have a different opinion to share their thoughts. As long as the opinion is expressed in civil fashion and without resorting to personal attacks, I don't see a problem whether a poster is negative or positive.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Get rid of one offense coach. The fact is in 8 years his unit has not been good.
Get rid if one or two defensive coaches. Continual bad unagressive choices in D staff is leading to repetitive poor product.

Good luck Paul. You are going to need it and sack up and make changes to part of your stale staff

It's very easy to say, not so easy to do. I think it's telling that repeatedly PJ has said in pressers that, "we need to do a better job coaching them".

But let me ask: how much have folks on this board donated to the GTAA? Has anyone specifically donated to the GTAA for coach's salaries (you can do that, you know)? And this isn't meant as some snarky comment ... this is just reality. Clemson's O and D coordinators combined make more than our entire staff minus PJ. We are in the bottom 3rd of the ACC in coaching salaries, and stark reality is you get what you pay for.

There are some coaches who I think aren't doing as good a job as Whipping Boy on either the coaching front or recruiting front.

PJ wanted to bring in a high-profile D coordinator his first year and was denied because of money. He wanted to bring in a different coordinator after Groh and was denied because of money. He wanted to bring in a name that was thrown around repeatedly on this board as his QB coach after Bohannon left. Guess what? DENIED BECAUSE OF MONEY.

This isn't an excuse. I agree that some things need to change, but we also need to realize that these things cost money. That is a very stark reality.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that something needs to change. IMHO the biggest thing that needs to change is to get some people back healthy and get some key players another year's experience. We need a really good offseason for conditioning and fundamental practice in our scheme. You all may be really surprised how this thing will come together once that happens. Hopefully some good chemistry will be developed during that time as well.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
USCw, USCe, Miami, VT, UCF and others are looking for head coaches. There are a lot of folks on this site who should apply for those jobs.
They say they know a heck of a lot more about football than the people who have had those jobs recently.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that something needs to change. IMHO the biggest thing that needs to change is to get some people back healthy and get some key players another year's experience. We need a really good offseason for conditioning and fundamental practice in our scheme. You all may be really surprised how this thing will come together once that happens. Hopefully some good chemistry will be developed during that time as well.

Boom, that may well be true of the offense. But what about D and ST? CPJ's tenure has had an excellent offensive track record. So I'm not really worried there to be honest. But by the same token, his track record on D and ST has been horrendous. So I am worried there..... a lot.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Would agree that on "obvious" passing downs example give 3rd and 30 and the ilk, probably should be from the gun and not under center.
Shotgun snaps are not automatic, and practice time is limited.

Same reason our WRs have limited route trees and less QB/WR read plays than a passing-based offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
All true...

He has shotgun plays in his playbook. We've seen shotgun plays I'm not gonna throw current players under the bus but they wondering why he doesn't help JT out. Tevin wondering out loud why he not putting him in the gun more, cause he ran gun plays in the offense. It can be done because it has been done.

As far as Defense and ST's NO Excuses for it. I watched Mich St put the clams on OSU with the most anemic offense you could have. They're D is littered with 5*'s & they have been consistent. Look what the D Coordinator has done with Pitt.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
He has shotgun plays in his playbook. We've seen shotgun plays I'm not gonna throw current players under the bus but they wondering why he doesn't help JT out. Tevin wondering out loud why he not putting him in the gun more, cause he ran gun plays in the offense. It can be done because it has been done.

As far as Defense and ST's NO Excuses for it. I watched Mich St put the clams on OSU with the most anemic offense you could have. They're D is littered with 5*'s & they have been consistent. Look what the D Coordinator has done with Pitt.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that JT asked CPJ for some more flexibility in the offense after last year's success and CPJ, fearing another Vad, told him off. That might explain some of the stubbornness from CPJ and body language by JT.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm getting tired of a developing extremist faction on this board that tries to bully and censor any and all criticism. This is becoming the opposite of Bbuzzoff. I'm sorry, but if all you want to hear is kumbaya, go watch some Disney movies.

I totally agree, and when I tried to point it out, it just made them worse. They're the smarm and sunshine crowd.

I think an intelligent person ought to be able to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time - I can support CPJ for what he's done for the program AND still think he could make some changes to get better. I GUARANTEE you that he himself would agree.

Candid, private convo between smarmy GTSwarm font and CPJ:

CPJ: I need to do X, Y, and Z to get better.
GTSwarm Smarm Font: STFU with that, troll!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah mwbatl.....the diamond was pure CPJ spread option....nothing new to see there. Did it work? No. Was it a change? Yes. I'm out though. Y'all enjoy.

Actually, this makes my point (imho) rather than refuting it. Your comment is rather like saying we tried 3 passes in the 1st quarter and did not complete them so that's why we ran on every play the rest of the game. I honestly don't think CPJ tries really anything but minor wrinkles in his offense when it comes to things like passing. His offense is VERY sophisticated and is constantly changing in the run game, that I believe is his strength, his forte and he has forgotten more about running offense than most coaches out there ever knew. But when it comes to passing and things that would facilitate passing (shotgun, diamond or whatever) I genuinely believe that CPJ doesn't really like it, doesn't want it, doesn't feel confident in it, and therefore won't do it. I also think he is very confident that if he just get the guys to execute, that no one can stop his running attack no matter how many guys they stack in the box. And he has had years where that has been the case (obviously, as in 2014).

My criticism is that he has also had years...plenty of years...where the offense has been less than stellar and we are all but dead when we get down two scores. In fact, although I know some disagree, I believe our offense in 2010-13 (while not being as bad as thus year's O) were rather pedestrian.

Don't get me wrong. I did not call for his head or a change at head coach. I think he will stick to what he knows best and what he thinks he can do best. Unfortunately, in *most* years, we lack the explosive plays against decent teams and have to go on 5 or 6 minute drives to score...meaning if we are down two score sin the 2nd half we are already in deep trouble. Many of us have simply observed that a more robust passing attack would leave us thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that we still have a *chance* at a 2 minute drill type drive.

This is a simplistic answer to a complex topic, but wanted to elaborate a bit about what I meant since you seemed to dislike it so much....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that JT asked CPJ for some more flexibility in the offense after last year's success and CPJ, fearing another Vad, told him off. That might explain some of the stubbornness from CPJ and body language by JT.

Well, now it just sounds like you're making stuff up. Of course, it is the internet, soooooo.......

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's very easy to say, not so easy to do. I think it's telling that repeatedly PJ has said in pressers that, "we need to do a better job coaching them".

But let me ask: how much have folks on this board donated to the GTAA? Has anyone specifically donated to the GTAA for coach's salaries (you can do that, you know)? And this isn't meant as some snarky comment ... this is just reality. Clemson's O and D coordinators combined make more than our entire staff minus PJ. We are in the bottom 3rd of the ACC in coaching salaries, and stark reality is you get what you pay for.

There are some coaches who I think aren't doing as good a job as Whipping Boy on either the coaching front or recruiting front.

PJ wanted to bring in a high-profile D coordinator his first year and was denied because of money. He wanted to bring in a different coordinator after Groh and was denied because of money. He wanted to bring in a name that was thrown around repeatedly on this board as his QB coach after Bohannon left. Guess what? DENIED BECAUSE OF MONEY.

This isn't an excuse. I agree that some things need to change, but we also need to realize that these things cost money. That is a very stark reality.

Just so you know. I specifically donated money to GT to get rid of chan gailey. I have not done that for an assistant coach yet. I may consider it, but the problem with assistants is they are typically on one year contracrs and much easier to rid than a Hc and typically cost the school no money to fire. Sewak as an example costs the school nothing to fire end of this year. Roof does though as he was given a 2 year contract.

You are actually a bit incorrect. Paul wanted to bring in ellis johnson instead of wommack. Ellis simply chose usce instead. It wasnt all money. Groh gave gt a deal due to his uva buyout. Here was much more a money play. Both were under rad. Mbob gas increased football staff and assistants pay. Money isnt the issue as much today with mbob.

Roof makes half a million a year right now. In 2008 when paul wanted ellis johnson he was making about 300k a year. In 2007 tenuta made 300k a year. We had enough in the budget. He chose elsewhere. In early 2010 usc paid ellis about 700k a year to match tennessees offer. At that point he was outside our budget.

There are plenty good DC in the country we can bring in for half a mill a year which is roofs salary. Most dc make less than that. We have to find someone, do the research and man up. Vs hiring a name. Chad Glasgow would be a good fit here. And we can afford him.

Paul is too nice to poach from navy and air force. But, we need to consider it for OL.

Money thing is a bit overblown. Sewak makes 300k a year. At least that actually. We have about 800-900k a year in two position coaches. Most OL coaches make 200 or so. That means we can afford a dc between 600 and 700 a year.

We can do it. We need to try

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Actually, this makes my point (imho) rather than refuting it. Your comment is rather like saying we tried 3 passes in the 1st quarter and did not complete them so that's why we ran on every play the rest of the game. I honestly don't think CPJ tries really anything but minor wrinkles in his offense when it comes to things like passing. His offense is VERY sophisticated and is constantly changing in the run game, that I believe is his strength, his forte and he has forgotten more about running offense than most coaches out there ever knew. But when it comes to passing and things that would facilitate passing (shotgun, diamond or whatever) I genuinely believe that CPJ doesn't really like it, doesn't want it, doesn't feel confident in it, and therefore won't do it. I also think he is very confident that if he just get the guys to execute, that no one can stop his running attack no matter how many guys they stack in the box. And he has had years where that has been the case (obviously, as in 2014).

My criticism is that he has also had years...plenty of years...where the offense has been less than stellar and we are all but dead when we get down two scores. In fact, although I know some disagree, I believe our offense in 2010-13 (while not being as bad as thus year's O) were rather pedestrian.

Don't get me wrong. I did not call for his head or a change at head coach. I think he will stick to what he knows best and what he thinks he can do best. Unfortunately, in *most* years, we lack the explosive plays against decent teams and have to go on 5 or 6 minute drives to score...meaning if we are down two score sin the 2nd half we are already in deep trouble. Many of us have simply observed that a more robust passing attack would leave us thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that we still have a *chance* at a 2 minute drill type drive.

This is a simplistic answer to a complex topic, but wanted to elaborate a bit about what I meant since you seemed to dislike it so much....

You indicated he is incapable of change due to stubbornness. Which was hyperbole. The pistol was a big change...so he was capable once at least even if it was a big fail. If you say he needs to diversify more...I can see that argument.

It's kinda like those who say there are no short passes, no slants in our playbook. Those are simply incorrect false statements. They have been used in games so I'm pretty sure they are in the playbook. I can respect opinions that more of those are needed, even though I'd disagree in principle. But the false absolute statements....those are just garbage.