No Slant Route - WHY?

Milwaukee

Banned
Not that it matters down 31-7, but the issue is that this concept does not exist with Paul. Why not pop up and hit Stewart at the sticks here? Corner is 8 yards off on 3rd and short.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are alot of scheme or play issues with this offense that can be easily adaptable to make it way more diverse. Its really easy in our O to cut the playside rush and throw a skinny post. Yet we never do it. Its wide open almost every play. The S is never there and the lbs are always up.

But imo, we should start with what the first problems are with this team that are quickly fixable without drawing up and teaching new stuff.

Get rid of one offense coach. The fact is in 8 years his unit has not been good.
Get rid if one or two defensive coaches. Continual bad unagressive choices in D staff is leading to repetitive poor product. Now. This year the offense has left the D hanging alot. I get it. But we are talking body of work and eye test.

We cant fix players over night so get them healthy. And start from the ground up.

There are no quick fixes to this program right now outside of staff tweaks. The rest is hard work and competition, and developing off the field leadership.

Good luck Paul. You are going to need it and sack up and make changes to part of your stale staff

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain to me why we have our 5th string WR playing RT with the assignment of blocking Miami's DE?

We've complained a lot about pass pro this year, but anyone expecting #80 to block a 6'4 260lb rush end from Miami has lost it. I'm no X's and O's expert, especially in the O we run, but a big part of our protection issues have to do with our staff expecting a WR, bback or aback to block one of our opponents best pass rush guys on a consistent basis.

I still remember a game 2 years ago at Clemson when we were backed up against our own goal line and we had Waller blocking Beasley. You can imagine what happened.

There's a lot to point at as being wrong this year, but I really hope that we focus on changing our protection schemes next year. I think we will be fine running our basic O next year (at least a lot better than this year). The protection issues have been a constant since PJ has been here. I really hope we make some changes here moving forward.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This season has been really disappointing. And listening to the Head coach, i'm not over positive on what will be changed for next year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No slants because we are a high school offense of course.

Hey...we have our coaching staff for next year ^

All will be right with the world with Milwaukee as OC, 33 as DC...and the rest assisting.

All will be right with the world and the turnover problem won't matter.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
This has been a disappointing season for sure. We have had all sorts of bad luck, injuries and what not. To many unforced errors piled up too.

Despite all of that...after today, I am not sure our coaching staff is putting our guys in the best position to win. Not just in this game, but multiple times this season. It's depressing going into a rivalry game like this.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
CPJ does't change his offense. He really doesn't. He might change D coaches, but not his offense, by God.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yeah mwbatl.....the diamond was pure CPJ spread option....nothing new to see there. Did it work? No. Was it a change? Yes. I'm out though. Y'all enjoy.

Declinometer

Banned
While reading this thread it occurred to me that it looks like CPJ is treating these games and practices like bowl practice, getting good looks at the future players. I think it's a very good idea if indeed he is treating the bowless end of the season for this purpose.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah mwbatl.....the diamond was pure CPJ spread option....nothing new to see there. Did it work? No. Was it a change? Yes. I'm out though. Y'all enjoy.

Was CPJ committed to the diamond? Hell, the shotgun? Your QB is 5'10 but you never put him in the shotgun? Ever?
Your WR is 6'3 200lbs the db is playing 10 yards off you need 4, no smoke route?
If Nick Saban can adjust his mentality and be committed to it.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
For all of the complexity of the run game, CPJ seems to think "aw shucks just pitch and catch" works in the passing game. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I've never understood why the middle of the field is hardly ever used.

It's not like there's 9 in the box with no one behind the LBers. :rolleyes:

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody who thinks that changes are not required to the program is kidding themselves. Enough is enough. We are putting out a very shoddy product out on the field. I know there are a 101 reasons for our record, but we are just playing bad football in all phases of the game. I don't know what changes need to be made. I'm sure CPJ knows better. But he better get the ship righted and soon. It's not our W-L record that is bugging me, but how inept we are in all phases of the game. It's sickening.

I'm not going to call for coaches' heads etc. I'm not knowledgable enough to evaluate that. But changes absolutely need to be made to the program. I'm getting tired of a developing extremist faction on this board that tries to bully and censor any and all criticism. This is becoming the opposite of Bbuzzoff. I'm sorry, but if all you want to hear is kumbaya, go watch some Disney movies.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Jordan's taller. Will be interesting to see if we see anything (more) like what many of us have been calling for from time to time next year. Or even next week.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm getting tired of a developing extremist faction on this board that tries to bully and censor any and all criticism. This is becoming the opposite of Bbuzzoff. I'm sorry, but if all you want to hear is kumbaya, go watch some Disney movies.
I'm sorry that you feel this way about GTSwarm. If you would please report any posts that you feel are "extremist" then the moderators will address those concerns. You can find the Report button under each post. Thanks.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Anybody who thinks that changes are not required to the program is kidding themselves. Enough is enough. We are putting out a very shoddy product out on the field. I know there are a 101 reasons for our record, but we are just playing bad football in all phases of the game. I don't know what changes need to be made. I'm sure CPJ knows better. But he better get the ship righted and soon. It's not our W-L record that is bugging me, but how inept we are in all phases of the game. It's sickening.

I'm not going to call for coaches' heads etc. I'm not knowledgable enough to evaluate that. But changes absolutely need to be made to the program. I'm getting tired of a developing extremist faction on this board that tries to bully and censor any and all criticism. This is becoming the opposite of Bbuzzoff. I'm sorry, but if all you want to hear is kumbaya, go watch some Disney movies.

This is a sentiment most can agree with. No one is happy with the results. Some changes do likely need to be made. Most who support the current staff won't argue either. But those that spew cliches will likely continue to be argued with. I've tired of doing so. People will believe what they want despite seeing proof of otherwise, short passes etc.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

That was a terrible adjustment though. I don't think there were a lot of people that said we should adopt an entirely new strategy...just maybe a few new plays here and there.

I love the offense, but it definitely could be a lot more dynamic