"no schollarship for you.....'' kirby smart

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow that was disheartening. There are two sides to any story, but this kid sounded pretty damn unappreciated. Let's all hope Blankenship transfers to Kentucky, and then on November 18th 2017 he comes back to Sanford stadium and kicks the game-winning FG to eliminate Georgia from bowl contention.
I read in another article on STs that UGA was struggling w FGs until this kid got a chance part way through the season to start kicking That writer gave the kid a lot of credit for turning this area around from a real weakness to a strength

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has it right. If a walkon makes the 2 deep and participates regularly, they get a scholly. They've earned it. I think it's outrageous to expect a starter to pay his own way. RB should transfer as soon as he can find any school that will offer a scholly.

Since he's a walkon, does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?

I think Smart is being dumb as this gives a negative incentive for any other talented kids to walk on at the cesspool. Good for GT! Maybe we can gain from Smart's blunder and pick up some talented walkons that would have gone to Ugag.

And he has a right to leave. That doesn't mean Smart did anything wrong. Also enough with the saved his azz 3 times. First off the kid didn't do anything against Nicholls, that another poster mentioned. His game winners against Kentucky and Auburn were both from within 30 yards, and his go ahead, not even a game winner, against TCU was from 30 yards. None of those scream saving anyone's azz. He also missed a FG in each of the last 3 games he attempted one, and was mediocre on kick offs.

Lastly, stop acting like they flat out refused to give the kid a scholarship. They just didn't give it to him for the spring semester, which is the norm anyways. This is from the article refereed to in the original one.

"If Georgia put Blankenship on scholarship right away – for the spring semester – it would count against the team’s 2017 signing class. For that reason, it’s actually rare for teams to award scholarships to walk-on midway through the school year."
That all may be true, but one additional thought I have is what's with this "scholarship for the spring semester"? At Tech we give scholarships for 4 years (or until completion of eligibility) not one semester or one year scholarships. I am proud to be a fan of a program that puts the STUDENT-athlete first.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has it right. If a walkon makes the 2 deep and participates regularly, they get a scholly. They've earned it. I think it's outrageous to expect a starter to pay his own way. RB should transfer as soon as he can find any school that will offer a scholly.

Since he's a walkon, does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?

I think Smart is being dumb as this gives a negative incentive for any other talented kids to walk on at the cesspool. Good for GT! Maybe we can gain from Smart's blunder and pick up some talented walkons that would have gone to Ugag.

good post. imo we dont acknowledge cpj and all the intangibles he brings to our program.

1. he graduates most of his players.
2. we seldom have fulmer cup issues.
3. he treats the players with respect.

thanks coach.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, isn't that special?

This clearly shows that he learned something from Nick Saban, doesn't it? Yes, The Great Satan is really good at holding every scholarship for players he thinks will work out in their last two years. Little things like on-field performance and saving football games shouldn't count for much in comparison to that.

Next Kirby will be chasing scholarship football players off when he thinks they won't work out so he can game the numbers. After all, that's why the Dwags hired him: to get them to an NC, no matter what the costs. And now we have a preview of how the collection of nimrods they call a "fan base" will try to justify that. Exciting, isn't it?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
as i see it. the comments here are a reflection of who was elected. many people seem to think that its all about success. 'so what that you dont honor your contracts or word.'

'so what. im a fan. im a stock holder.' wins and losses... the bottom line is what's important these days to many.

maybe its just me. maybe im out of touch. when i grew up they also taught courses in business ethics. the ceo to worker pay ratio was 24:1 . now its closer to 500:1. i was lucky. i ran into only one 'saban' as a boss until i got into corporate management. his business failed.

the current trend in unethical behavior is the big reason why i retired early. integrity is something i value highly. ie doing the RIGHT thing when nobody is watching. i try to live by it daily.

smart got caught not being so smart imo. if i was a kicker i would avoid uga like the plague.

as far as the letter goes. i hope this encourages other parents / players to come out of the wood work. we all complain about this behavior on sports blogs but some dont want it exposed.

its never gonna fix itself. afterall... you cant fix what you dont acknowledge.

Last edited:

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Did Jaylend Ratliffe ever enroll? Despite the accident, CPJ honored the scholarship offer.... this is the man we have as coach. Lesson to be learned... Kirby OTOH did really learn good from Saban didn't he...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
??? I don't see anything Kirby did wrong here. You can argue whether you think he deserves a scholarship or not but there's really not anything Kirby did wrong. He's the head coach and chooses where his scholarships go. If he chooses to not give a walk-on kicker a scholarship then he doesn't have to. He made his choice and if Rodrigo doesn't like it and feels he can get a scholarship somewhere else and play then he has the right to do so and it's Kirby's loss (if any). The dad's the one that needs to chill out. Unless he's really just stirring stuff up to "market" his son to other school's like Techster mentioned earlier, then what he's doing is pretty damn petty.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
??? I don't see anything Kirby did wrong here. You can argue whether you think he deserves a scholarship or not but there's really not anything Kirby did wrong. He's the head coach and chooses where his scholarships go. If he chooses to not give a walk-on kicker a scholarship then he doesn't have to. He made his choice and if Rodrigo doesn't like it and feels he can get a scholarship somewhere else and play then he has the right to do so and it's Kirby's loss (if any). The dad's the one that needs to chill out. Unless he's really just stirring stuff up to "market" his son to other school's like Techster mentioned earlier, then what he's doing is pretty damn petty.

its a moral thing. kinda like all the cities banning feeding the homeless while the cops take their blankets and possessions.

ITS THE LAW but the behavior is not ethical nor moral.

jeffgt14

its a moral thing. kinda like all the cities banning feeding the homeless while the cops take their blankets and possessions.

That doesn’t even relate. Homeless people are… homeless. This kid did not get a scholarship taken away from him nor was ever promised one. Sure maybe he thought he could kick well and end up on a scholarship but at the end of the day, Kirby decided he wants to use his ships elsewhere. I don’t care who the player is or what school they go to. If he feels he deserves a scholarship and doesn’t get it, go somewhere else. It’s the same as any employee who feels they didn’t get the raise or bonus they deserve. Go somewhere that’ll give you one. Not getting a scholarship is in no way Rodrigo’s “loss”. He performed. Others saw. Put yourself on the market because UGA doesn’t want you. Kirby’s loss.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Doesn't relate. If you feel he's being wronged feel free to send him some money.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That doesn’t even relate. Homeless people are… homeless. This kid did not get a scholarship taken away from him nor was ever promised one. Sure maybe he thought he could kick well and end up on a scholarship but at the end of the day, Kirby decided he wants to use his ships elsewhere. I don’t care who the player is or what school they go to. If he feels he deserves a scholarship and doesn’t get it, go somewhere else. It’s the same as any employee who feels they didn’t get the raise or bonus they deserve. Go somewhere that’ll give you one. Not getting a scholarship is in no way Rodrigo’s “loss”. He performed. Others saw. Put yourself on the market because UGA doesn’t want you. Kirby’s loss.

Oh, I think you're over thinking it. No one denies that Kirby has the right. Just as the dad has the right to express his disagreement.

The question is whether folks agree with one or the other.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I must be missing something, but what did Smart do wrong here? He didn't cut a scholarship or refuse to give one he had promised to.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...il-carters-loss-may-rodrigo-blankenships-gain

http://onlineathens.com/sports/2016...-uga-scholarship-offer-kirby-smart-insists-we

Kicker's dad may be a putz but Smart is at home in the Saban trained cesspool. Where pulled scholly offers and "gray shirts" don't count as pulling offers. If Smart had shot straight with either one of these players he wouldn't have a mess on his hands. Not much of a mess as most mutt fans only moral is "jest win baby".

jeffgt14

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...il-carters-loss-may-rodrigo-blankenships-gain

http://onlineathens.com/sports/2016...-uga-scholarship-offer-kirby-smart-insists-we

Kicker's dad may be a putz but Smart is at home in the Saban trained cesspool. Where pulled scholly offers and "gray shirts" don't count as pulling offers. If Smart had shot straight with either one of these players he wouldn't have a mess on his hands. Not much of a mess as most mutt fans only moral is "jest win baby".
Dropping kids is a different issue. I agree with you there.