"no schollarship for you.....'' kirby smart

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
This really doesn't fit this thread particularly, but I didn't want to open a new thread just to post it, but you guys (and gals) have to read this open letter from the Georgia kicker's father regarding Kirby's refusal to grant him a scholarship. If there was ever a kid who SHOULD transfer, Rodrigo is one ---

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...-refused-scholarship-crushing-hardship-family

Wow that was disheartening. There are two sides to any story, but this kid sounded pretty damn unappreciated. Let's all hope Blankenship transfers to Kentucky, and then on November 18th 2017 he comes back to Sanford stadium and kicks the game-winning FG to eliminate Georgia from bowl contention.

Wow that was disheartening. There are two sides to any story, but this kid sounded pretty damn unappreciated. Let's all hope Blankenship transfers to Kentucky, and then on November 18th 2017 he comes back to Sanford stadium and kicks the game-winning FG to eliminate Georgia from bowl contention.
The father says he doesn't want to transfer, but after that letter Rodrigo's name is bound to be mud in the cesspool. He needs to get out while he can. Since he's not on scholarship at Georgia, I would assume he would not have to sit out a year wherever he goes. At least that would make sense, but the NCAA is not known for having good sense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

The story reflects the position of the check writer not the kid.

We can come up with stories of parents complaining about playing time for kids. The kids are supported at a personall and health level by volunteer time from coaches and players because of their value for the kid.

northgajacket

Banned
74514495.jpg

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I must be missing something, but what did Smart do wrong here? He didn't cut a scholarship or refuse to give one he had promised to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope the kid transfers and gets the full ride somewhere. He's a good kicker who deserves a free education somewhere if he can continue to perform. You go 14/18 at GT, you're getting a scholarship. Some team is looking for a kicker out there, and I hope this article was the kid's father telling the other colleges through media that his son is available (actually pretty smart).

As for UGA, I hope they have a revolving door of kickers next season after Rodrigo leaves and those kickers miss every game winning kick, or UGA loses because of missed FGs.

It's cute the apple didn't fall far from Papa Saban's tree.

I must be missing something, but what did Smart do wrong here? He didn't cut a scholarship or refuse to give one he had promised to.
He refuses to honor a kid who has given his all for the team and essentially told the kid that he's not worth anything. Whether he promised one to him or not, he's getting something for nothing. The kid has EARNED a scholarship.