"no schollarship for you.....'' kirby smart

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Rodrigo has a 3.74, is from Marietta and has to pay tuition? Does HOPE not cover the tuition?

It's messed up that a starter isn't on a full scholarship at one of the few profitable college football companies.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Few things as ****ty in this world as when a someone puts his heart & soul into his job, produces results, and the boss refuses to appreciate the effort. That letter made me sick when i read the part about how he kicked the winning points against Kentucky and Auburn (and Nichols for that matter). If only he could take those back amiright?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
No. The head coach does. Sorry to burst your bubble.

If your ego is large enough to think your come back is bursting my bubble your sorely mistaken. I've never known a coach that didn't preach and live by performance is THE measuring stick. The young man out performed his contemporaries in the eSECpn and isn't on scholarship? As far as I'm concerned kerbee made an unwise and unwarranted decision, he has the scholarship available and by all rational measures the young earned it.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
If your ego is large enough to think your come back is bursting my bubble your sorely mistaken. I've never known a coach that didn't preach and live by performance is THE measuring stick. The young man out performed his contemporaries in the eSECpn and isn't on scholarship? As far as I'm concerned kerbee made an unwise and unwarranted decision, he has the scholarship available and by all rational measures the young earned it.
My first take is there more to the story than meets the eye. We're only hearing one side.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The young man out performed his contemporaries in the eSECpn and isn't on scholarship? As far as I'm concerned kerbee made an unwise and unwarranted decision, he has the scholarship available and by all rational measures the young earned it

And the head coach disagreed, which he is entirely entitled to do.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck

Seems like whether his Dad is right or wrong about whether he deserved a scholly, what his Dad did was uncalled for and his son was left to repair the damages. Hopefully his son still is the kicker next year and he just saved the bridge burnt.

And the head coach disagreed, which he is entirely entitled to do.
If somebody I had busted my *** for to provide more than satisfying results refused to acknowledge my performance, I would get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Kirby may have the right to do what he is apparently doing, but I have no respect for him or for anyone who attempts to justify such contemptuous disregard for someone who saved his azz at least 3 times this year. If not for Rodrigo, Kirby's mutts would probably have had a losing season. And that's not worth rewarding him with a scholarship? B S !!!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Seems like whether his Dad is right or wrong about whether he deserved a scholly, what his Dad did was uncalled for and his son was left to repair the damages. Hopefully his son still is the kicker next year and he just saved the bridge burnt.

He sounds like a young guy with Stockholm syndrome...the apologizing for his "clearly defined deficiencies" and talking about receiving "constructive" criticism, then calling them the best fan base in the nation. I hope he leaves for somewhere he's appreciated and Georgia struggles at kicker for the next few years.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
No. The head coach does. Sorry to burst your bubble.

can i burst your bubble? it sounds fun.....

sorry but by my unofficial tally... youre on the wrong side of this. no scholarship for you. :)

speaking two kinds of sorry doh. i am one sorry mofo for misspelling scholarship in the title
and im sorry i did it. heh.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, he's apologizing for his dad's behavior? How embarrassing it must be. Clearly not from a healthy family. He'll be the team pariah pretty soon all because of his idiot dad. It's like what happened with the OSU coach. I'M A MAN! I'M 40!!!! And Craig Jame's son at Texas Tech. Parents just need to stay out of it. Going public about a coach ain't gonna buy any favors. This kid should transfer.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting that according to the player his father acted without his knowledge, but his father and mother were with him in the coaches office. I doubt they just showed up. Let the young man grow up and fight his own battles. If its really a money issue, transfer to a school who is willing to pay for a kicker ( if anyone is willing w that baggage). I don't believe he will be UGA's kicker next year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Whether any of us feel the kid deserves a scholarship is kind of a moot point. If he were put on scholarship and then taken off then it'd just be ridiculous, but that's not the case. The kid walked on to play D1 football...there is no guarantee that that scenario produces a scholarship at some point. His dad is kind of acting like a child about this.

He's not being forced to play football there, and it seems like the coach couldn't care less if he left. So the situation seems pretty simple. If you feel like you're not being treated fairly, don't play anymore...or transfer somewhere that will give you a scholarship.

Now all that being said, I'm glad they're the ones having to deal with this crap and not us...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If somebody I had busted my *** for to provide more than satisfying results refused to acknowledge my performance, I would get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Kirby may have the right to do what he is apparently doing, but I have no respect for him or for anyone who attempts to justify such contemptuous disregard for someone who saved his azz at least 3 times this year. If not for Rodrigo, Kirby's mutts would probably have had a losing season. And that's not worth rewarding him with a scholarship? B S !!!

Totally agree that the kid should feel this way...and that's probably what I'd do if I were him. His dad just shouldn't publicly complain about it.

If his son doesn't get a raise after his first year of employment because his boss doesn't feel he deserves it, is his dad going to write an open letter to the public bashing his boss?

Bottom line is if he feels he is being treated unfairly, then do something about it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know if he was recruited by Georgia or if he walked on of his own accord?

If he was not recruited then he can transfer and play immediately.

If he was "recruited" he'd still have to sit out a year over some dumb NCAA rule. This one seems like BS to me...walk on players should be able to go wherever the hell they want from year to year.

http://informedathlete.com/ncaa-walk-on-transfer-rules-for-division-i-sports/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And he has a right to leave. That doesn't mean Smart did anything wrong. Also enough with the saved his azz 3 times. First off the kid didn't do anything against Nicholls, that another poster mentioned. His game winners against Kentucky and Auburn were both from within 30 yards, and his go ahead, not even a game winner, against TCU was from 30 yards. None of those scream saving anyone's azz. He also missed a FG in each of the last 3 games he attempted one, and was mediocre on kick offs.

Lastly, stop acting like they flat out refused to give the kid a scholarship. They just didn't give it to him for the spring semester, which is the norm anyways. This is from the article refereed to in the original one.

"If Georgia put Blankenship on scholarship right away – for the spring semester – it would count against the team’s 2017 signing class. For that reason, it’s actually rare for teams to award scholarships to walk-on midway through the school year."