NL EAST 2021

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the Braves were to ever do one of those crazy 14 year contracts for 300 mil it should be Soto. He is a generational talent. Having him and Acuna for next decade would be awesome. I’m sure he’ll end up pinstripes or Dodger Blue though. The Nats stink so Soto has no support so he’s just taking his walks and waiting to escape DC.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Nationals would be crazy to NOT continue to float offers to Soto (...er I mean Boros). Also true... Soto would be crazy to accept an offer until he saw some turnaround with the team & organization. He has 2.5yrs left on his contract. There are 3 big reasons I see any trade (this year) unlikely. I think they are all inter-related too.
1) He has over 2 years left under contract.
2) Nationals are "for sale" ...Soto is the most valuable asset (BY FAR) for any potential buyer.
3) Can't imagine any team mortgaging what it would take for Nationals to seriously entertain a trade. (but nothing wrong with seeing what teams are willing to hand you)

The Nationals (current owners) have a terrible track record on holding onto great players. Strasburg is only exception & he simply just wanted to stay in DC... nothing the Nats did in that case.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The Nationals would be crazy to NOT continue to float offers to Soto (...er I mean Boros). Also true... Soto would be crazy to accept an offer until he saw some turnaround with the team & organization. He has 2.5yrs left on his contract. There are 3 big reasons I see any trade (this year) unlikely. I think they are all inter-related too.
2) Nationals are "for sale" ...Soto is the most valuable asset (BY FAR) for any potential buyer.
3) Can't imagine any team mortgaging what it would take for Nationals to seriously entertain a trade. (but nothing wrong with seeing what teams are willing to hand you)

The Nationals (current owners) have a terrible track record on holding onto great players. Strasburg is only exception & he simply just wanted to stay in DC... nothing the Nats did in that case.

Look out for the Padres if he is seriously on the block. They have the GM and farm system to get something done.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Strasburg will be the only player under contract for 2023 and he’s covered by insurance at the moment. If the new owner wants to make them the Marlins with a bargain operating cost, now is the opportunity.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Strasburg will be the only player under contract for 2023 and he’s covered by insurance at the moment. If the new owner wants to make them the Marlins with a bargain operating cost, now is the opportunity.

Yeah I never understood the idea of wanting a high-dollar player as as 'asset' when selling a team. Seems I'd want the opposite if i were a buyer. Clear books, clean slate. Let me make my own money mistakes.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I never understood the idea of wanting a high-dollar player as as 'asset' when selling a team. Seems I'd want the opposite if i were a buyer. Clear books, clean slate. Let me make my own money mistakes.
I've been back & forth on this. I think it depends on buyer. I also think potential buyer(s) are already talking to Lerners (current owner) & their wishes are a bit of a wildcard.

ETA... The Soto "situation" is only thing about Nationals worth following too right now. Team needs something to keep them in headlines around here.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

This is why I was also surprised that Soto's younger brother switched his commitment from the Mets to the Nats. If Cohen wants him (the elder Soto that is), Cohen will get him.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
You're right. There is an offer Nationals won't be able to refuse... and nor should they if that offer is presented.
Not talking about a trade offer. That would make no sense to the Mets at this point. Mets can wait it out until Soto is a free agent. And if he becomes a free agent, likely 5 teams that may be in play?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Soto isn’t a free agent until 2025.

Also I looked. It’s Corbin and Strasburg under contract in 2023. 7 guys on arbitration including Soto

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Cubs are terrible. They blew both games yesterday. That’s a full game in the NLEast.
The Nats are terrible as well. Worst record in baseball, if I'm not mistaken. Ironically, both teams beat the Mets and Braves, respectively today. Mets let one get away today after pulling 2 out yesterday. It's baseball. 4 days off for most players, then back at it for the rest of the season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hate the shift. I hate the DH. I hate the entitled snowflake attitudes of modern players.

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

:ROFLMAO: Oh cmon laugh with me, forensic

I've never used that phrase but couldn't resist droppin that on your noggin.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The shift is an interesting one for "old school" types. You don't like the shift? But it is not a rule change that brought it about. It was intelligent analysis on putting defense in best "position" to get a batter out.

If you hate the shift... it's going to take a new rule to get rid of it. I hate new rules! Deal with the shift by learning/adjusting to the defensive adjustment aimed at you. Where does it end in effort to create more offense? Why not remove a defender (or 2). Make all the outfielders play within 250 ft of home plate? Eliminate the curve ball. All those ideas are as dumb (to me) as dictating where defenders position themselves.