NL EAST 2021

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Lerner Family is considering a sale of the Nationals. Should they?
Yes. If they want out... then sell. Of course, it really depends on the buyer & what they'll do. I didn't see any way Soto would stay in DC with Lerners writing checks. This probably doesn't help either unless the sale is done very soon.

DC is a "frontrunner" sports town across all major sports. New owner will need to produce a contender.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Yes. If they want out... then sell. Of course, it really depends on the buyer & what they'll do. I didn't see any way Soto would stay in DC with Lerners writing checks. This probably doesn't help either unless the sale is done very soon.

DC is a "frontrunner" sports town across all major sports. New owner will need to produce a contender.

Yeah, I don't see Lindor and Scherzer, among others, as Mets if the Wilponzi's were still writing checks instead of Cohen either. It was interesting to see Juan Soto's younger brother Elian switch his intention to sign with the Mets to the Nationals though. Would he have done that if he knew his brother was planning to leave? Did Juan Soto know about the Lerner's potential intent to sell?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't see Lindor and Scherzer, among others, as Mets if the Wilponzi's were still writing checks instead of Cohen either. It was interesting to see Juan Soto's younger brother Elian switch his intention to sign with the Mets to the Nationals though. Would he have done that if he knew his brother was planning to leave? Did Juan Soto know about the Lerner's potential intent to sell?
Great question(s).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Posting this in multiple locations that likely have no relevance to the particular thread I'm posting it in, but that's because I have a baseball rules question that piqued my interest during the Mets - Nationals game tonight and I want as many knowledgeable baseball fans to weigh in as possible.

I have always believed that if a runner is hit by a batted ball in fair territory he is out and the ball is dead. However, during the Mets - Nationals game tonight, there was a ball hit just past the first baseman Alonso that hit the runner on first in the back as he tried to get down to the ground to avoid the ball. The ball caromed into foul territory on the 1B side and the umpires called the runner out and a dead ball.

However, the Mets announcers claimed that the ball should not have been called a dead ball because the ball was past the first defender, i.e. 1B Alonso, and the next closest defender, the second baseman, did not have a play on the ball. Therefore, it should have been a live ball, with the base runners free to advance, including the runner that was hit by the ball.

Most of the time when we see this is when a ball hits a runner in the hole between first and second, or second and third. In that case, the "first" defender that usually has a chance to field the ball is typically behind the runner. Therefore, a dead ball and the baserunner is out. In this case, the fielder was in front of the runner that was hit and the ball was past him.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or if I am making s*** up.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Posting this in multiple locations that likely have no relevance to the particular thread I'm posting it in, but that's because I have a baseball rules question that piqued my interest during the Mets - Nationals game tonightI and I want as many knowledgeable baseball fans to weigh in as possible.

I have always believed that if a runner is hit by a batted ball in fair territory he is out and the ball is dead. However, during the Mets - Nationals game tonight, there was a ball hit just past the first baseman Alonso that hit the runner on first in the back as he tried to get down to the ground to avoid the ball. The ball caromed into foul territory on the 1B side and the umpires called the runner out and a dead ball.

However, the Mets announcers claimed that the ball should not have been called a dead ball because the ball was past the first defender, i.e. 1B Alonso, and the next closest defender, the second baseman, did not have a play on the ball. Therefore, it should have been a live ball, with the base runners free to advance, including the runner that was hit by the ball.

Most of the time when we see this is when a ball hits a runner in the hole between first and second, or second and third. In that case, the "first" defender that usually has a chance to field the ball is typically behind the runner. Therefore, a dead ball and the baserunner is out. In this case, the fielder was in front of the runner that was hit and the ball was past him.

I responded in one of the other threads. If he's hit behind a fielder (not the pitcher), he is safe and the ball is live unless, in the opinion of the umpire, he intentionally tried to interfere with the ball.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dang. Phillies fired Girardi? Dang, then again, they have disappointed.

Meme Reaction GIF

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Posting this in multiple locations that likely have no relevance to the particular thread I'm posting it in, but that's because I have a baseball rules question that piqued my interest during the Mets - Nationals game tonight and I want as many knowledgeable baseball fans to weigh in as possible.

Cincy, this(attached below are the explanations)is a universal baseball rule and includes MLB- therefore the ball was in play even though it hit the runner. Another controversial occurrence is when a fielder touches a ball and it’s rolling towards another fielder and the baserunner does not make an effort to get out of the way- he can be called out for interference.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Dang. Phillies fired Girardi? Dang, then again, they have disappointed.

Meme Reaction GIF
Disappointing: yes, absolutely. Joe’s fault for overspending, not properly evaluating talent, injuries- not really since they have a G.M. and an Owner.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
"Eh, gotta fire somebody and it ain't gonna be me." - Phillies Mgt.
You got that right.
It still feels like the good ol’e boys network to me. Recycling managers.
Our friend Mike(who kept losing his passwords on this site), really liked Girardi.
I think Joe is a pretty good skipper myself.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Not Girardi's fault. When you have a bullpen/defense that gives up 7 runs in T9 to lose a game 8-7, and consistently field a team with one of the worst defenses and bullpens in MLB. That's on the GM/ownership. But they'll never take the blame for themselves. Add to that the slow start for players like Wheeler this year, and Harper being hurt and not being able to play the field... Clueless/Incompetent management running through the field coaches. I know a little about that being a Mets fan under the Wilpon regime.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Not Girardi's fault. When you have a bullpen/defense that gives up 7 runs in T9 to lose a game 8-7, and consistently field a team with one of the worst defenses and bullpens in MLB. That's on the GM/ownership. But they'll never take the blame for themselves. Add to that the slow start for players like Wheeler this year, and Harper being hurt and not being able to play the field... Clueless/Incompetent management running through the field coaches. I know a little about that being a Mets fan under the Wilpon regime.
Spend all your payroll on a few big names and then act surprised when they slump or get injured and the team sucks.

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a big fan of the Braves i think the Braves will get their act together finishing with 88-90 wins and making the Playoffs as a NL Wildcard after they surprise people with a big trade at the trade deadline

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Our friend Mike(who kept losing his passwords on this site), really liked Girardi.

Our friend Mike...from TN...was also a Vol fan...seemed to like making bold predictions if I remember right...

I'm a big fan of the Braves i think the Braves will get their act together finishing with 88-90 wins and making the Playoffs as a NL Wildcard after they surprise people with a big trade at the trade deadline

Hey, Mike, did you finally find your way back to us?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hey, Fred;
Juan Soto bruised his knee in the dugout? Davey Martinez pulled him from the game. Noticed he’s only hitting .228 with 28 RBI’s. The 52 walks indicate to me, they must be pitching around him? Anderson went at him for the most part last night.

Your thoughts?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey, Fred;
Juan Soto bruised his knee in the dugout? Davey Martinez pulled him from the game. Noticed he’s only hitting .228 with 28 RBI’s. The 52 walks indicate to me, they must be pitching around him? Anderson went at him for the most part last night.

Your thoughts?
I'm no expert. Hard to assess. Nationals are very bad. He has little protection in the line up. Maybe trying too hard to do too much. Maybe difficult to get motivated... he seems to thrive in big key moments. Those are few & far between & diminishing. Hard times.

Ryan Zimmerman weekend coming up this weekend. #11 will be retired.