NL EAST 2021

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nick Castellanos has opted out of his last two years, 34 m. with the Reds.
Braves have been linked to him each of the last few years. Most likely out of the price range.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not an expert, so I'm just repeating what I've been told.

If Ozuna is out, then things get interesting with $23M to spend. That's probably what the Braves would want.

Also, Duvall just declined a $7M option, so he's gone.
Duvall is also arb eligible and the braves will probably offer or not get anything for him.

the braves will probably have an even higher payroll since they made a boat load of money this season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Soto is a free agent in THREE years!!! The fact Boras is already leveraging should not be a surprise... but I bet he (Boras) has a list of teams that "prioritize" winning... & the Nationals wouldn't be in top 5.

...nor would any NL East team... despite that division holding 2 of last 3 WS titles. 😎

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Soto is a free agent in THREE years!!! The fact Boras is already leveraging should not be a surprise... but I bet he (Boras) has a list of teams that "prioritize" winning... & the Nationals wouldn't be in top 5.

...nor would any NL East team... despite that division holding 2 of last 3 WS titles. 😎

I think the Mets "prioritize" winning. They just can't do it...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
When Cohen bought the Mets, he said he'd spend money, but the team wouldn't spend like drunken sailors. Looks like after one disappointing season, drunken sailors it is!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Scherzer is a FUN dude to have on your team. Nationals open up at Mets in 2022. DeGrom and Scherzer v Nationals lineup. Advantage Mets... by a lot.
Yes, it would be. IF deGrom's truly healthy (hasn't pitched since July), and IF Scherzer, at 37, continues to be Scherzer. As a lifelong Met fan, I reserve the right to pass judgement until they show me the goods!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Not related to 2021 baseball, and thought about putting it in the Braves thread. But since he played for the Mets late in his career, I ended up here.

A great story about Hall of Famer Warren Spahn for those who haven't seen it. A great pitcher, but he did even greater things while he was out of baseball during World War II.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per MLBTR-
  • Extra pick between Competitive Balance Round B and Round 3: Four picks have already been allotted within this group, comprised of teams who don’t receive revenue sharing funds. The Mets received an extra selection when Noah Syndergaard signed with the Angels, the Blue Jays received two picks when Marcus Semien signed with the Rangers and Robbie Ray signed with the Mariners, and the Red Sox got a pick when Eduardo Rodriguez signed with the Tigers. Like Toronto, the Mets could also receive a second pick if Michael Conforto signed elsewhere. The Braves (Freddie Freeman) and Astros(Carlos Correa) would also land in this category if their respective QO free agents left town. The draft order of this sandwich round based on 2021 record would line up as Mets (77 wins), Braves (88 wins), Blue Jays (91 wins), Red Sox (92 wins), and Astros (95 wins). For the moment, the four picks in this group represent the 75th-79th overall selections in the draft, though that specific order will be altered based on where the other QO players sign, or what other second-round picks might be surrendered as penalties for signing those free agents.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Too funny!
This is not a shot at country folks. I love them. Always thought Big Bob would have a pickup truck and large dogs. Tommy Hammonds left his huge dogs with my step-dad, at his house, during 9 months of the year during his playing time at GTMBB. They completely destroyed the porch, the screening and the yard. Hammonds had a large pickup truck, much needed for hunting with those beasts. I love dogs. Lol.

I was at the 4 HR game too, w/ Horns.
Its probably like Niekro’s no-hitter I witnessed back in the day. The attendance was 8k that game, but I’ve found the other 7,999, by now. Lol.

Sorry if I’m derailing the NL East. I think Atlanta was still playing in the NL West back then. I guess that was the only opening coming over from Milwaukee?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Too funny!
This is not a shot at country folks. I love them. Always thought Big Bob would have a pickup truck and large dogs. Tommy Hammonds left his huge dogs with my step-dad at his house during 9 months of the year during his playing time at GTMBB. They completely destroyed the porch, the screening and the yard.

I was at the 4 HR game too, w/ Horns.
Its probably like Niekro’s no-hitter I witnessed back in the day. The attendance was 8k that game, but I’ve found the other 7,999, by now. Lol.

Sorry if I’m derailing the NL East. I think Atlanta was still playing in the NL West back then. I guess that was the only opening coming over from Milwaukee?
I was sitting in the outfield doing calculus homework Summer Quarter. I did that a lot at Tech. I'd drive down and pay for a $4 ticket and sit in the outfield and study and watch the game. There was never anyone around me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting in the outfield doing calculus homework Summer Quarter. I did that a lot at Tech. I'd drive down and pay for a $4 ticket and sit in the outfield and study and watch the game. There was never anyone around me.
tipping derek jeter GIF

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’d buy a $1 ticket in General Admission, and walk around to home plate. If security was guarding the foul polls on the concourse, I would walk through the rows on the interior portion of AtlFulCo. or tell them I was applying for a job and walk down through the tunnel and then come up to the reserved seats. At Turner, I’d sit wherever Walter Banks put us or stand behind the plate on Field Level against one of the food stands, which also included replays with the monitors above. Better than any standing room only views you could get, if they were selling them during the playoffs/WS.