NIL in CBB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What specifically do you think is inaccurate? I'm not looking to make an argument either way, just genuinely curious.

On3 seems to be fairly well respected by media sources regarding NIL valuations- a quick google has SI, ESPN, Sports Business Journal, and Axios citing their information. I think its an interesting concept, and would expect others to have proprietary valuation algorithms at some point.
Yeah, I too wondered why there was such assurance that this data was wrong. I would love to hear something definitive one way or another. I have no direct knowledge myself so I must rely on reputable sources.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
What specifically do you think is inaccurate? I'm not looking to make an argument either way, just genuinely curious.

On3 seems to be fairly well respected by media sources regarding NIL valuations- a quick google has SI, ESPN, Sports Business Journal, and Axios citing their information. I think its an interesting concept, and would expect others to have proprietary valuation algorithms at some point.
I don't think their numbers are based in anything. They get references since they are the only ones putting out any numbers. Sportswriters are gullible for things like this. Think back to all of the made up numbers that were quoted by sportswriters during the realignment "rumors." Heck, the numbers sportswriters quoted for Texas A&M NIL came from an Oklahoma message board.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, I too wondered why there was such assurance that this data was wrong. I would love to hear something definitive one way or another. I have no direct knowledge myself so I must rely on reputable sources.
I don’t have definitive information that it’s wrong. I doubt it heavily because I looked at it early on, and it didn’t agree with some players where I had heard NIL information.

If there was an NCAA NIL registry, then ESPN and FOX and Rivals would all be publishing the information. If it was easy to acquire the information, they’d all be publishing it. Since it’s just On3.com, then they have to be doing reporting that the TV stations and the newspapers and the other recruiting sites aren’t doing. Also, I don’t believe that On3 is calling the AA at Auburn and saying “can you send me an accurate spreadsheet of all the NIL deals of all your athletes” and getting the info, much less getting accurate info for 130+ top level football schools and 350+ D1 Basketball schools. I really don’t believe they’re asking every athlete what their NIL take is and getting accurate info, or getting it from the IRS. That’s both private information and it’s a competitive secret for each one of the AAs.

If they ARE pulling that coup off, they we should use them instead of all the other collegiate sports sources, because they’d be light years ahead of everyone else.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t have definitive information that it’s wrong. I doubt it heavily because I looked at it early on, and it didn’t agree with some players where I had heard NIL information.

If there was an NCAA NIL registry, then ESPN and FOX and Rivals would all be publishing the information. If it was easy to acquire the information, they’d all be publishing it. Since it’s just On3.com, then they have to be doing reporting that the TV stations and the newspapers and the other recruiting sites aren’t doing. Also, I don’t believe that On3 is calling the AA at Auburn and saying “can you send me an accurate spreadsheet of all the NIL deals of all your athletes” and getting the info, much less getting accurate info for 130+ top level football schools and 350+ D1 Basketball schools. I really don’t believe they’re asking every athlete what their NIL take is and getting accurate info, or getting it from the IRS. That’s both private information and it’s a competitive secret for each one of the AAs.

If they ARE pulling that coup off, they we should use them instead of all the other collegiate sports sources, because they’d be light years ahead of everyone else.
The NIL market is so immature at this point that I do think valuations like On3's will be influential in setting the market, especially if their valuations will be a data point NIL agents (LOL) use when seeking out the best deal. Whether the numbers are based in reality or speculation is a moot point if they influence the market.

The universities / athletic departments in theory have the most power over the market, but as we've seen there will always be a handful who have no interest in putting a cap on it if it keeps them competitive.

slugboy

Staff member
The NIL market is so immature at this point that I do think valuations like On3's will be influential in setting the market, especially if their valuations will be a data point NIL agents (LOL) use when seeking out the best deal. Whether the numbers are based in reality or speculation is a moot point if they influence the market.

The universities / athletic departments in theory have the most power over the market, but as we've seen there will always be a handful who have no interest in putting a cap on it if it keeps them competitive.
If it took even a quarter of the effort I think it would to put together a halfway researched NIL list, it would cost On3 a bunch of money, and they’d be charging for the list.

It’s bait.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I clicked a link once to a team I had recently seen play. The numbers didn't make any sense. I am fairly certain they built some kind of model using their recruiting data and some other stuff unrelated to any claimed figures by any involved party.

After the Rashada fiasco we know he is worth in NIL world somewhere between $13M the Florida people offered him and the zero he is getting at Arizona State.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I can only speak to one kid on the list and I know their valuation is significantly lower than his actual NIL earnings this year. I've also been told by people who I trust that Bacot was well over a million and he isn't on their list at that level. I assume they aren't trying to report what someone will actually make, rather just a ballpark estimate of relative earning potential

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I can only speak to one kid on the list and I know their valuation is significantly lower than his actual NIL earnings this year. I've also been told by people who I trust that Bacot was well over a million and he isn't on their list at that level. I assume they aren't trying to report what someone will actually make, rather just a ballpark estimate of relative earning potential
They are trying to approximate a "market value" and don't appear to do that well at all.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Someone else may have mentioned this above and I've missed it, but I did not see Jamyr Gibbs listed. I thought I saw last year several sources quote that he made half a million to go to Bama.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I guess Tech recruiting numbers in the next couple of years will signal whether these numbers are decent guestimates or totally bogus.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I noticed number 49 on the list is a guy named Kool-Aid Mckinstry. I wonder if he changed his name to get a deal wit Kool-Aid. Genius.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They are trying to approximate a "market value" and don't appear to do that well at all.

As is the case with most things in NIL, and sports journalism(sic) in general, there's not much impetus or need to get any-d*mn-thing right. Just be first(ish).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what thread to put this in. Mods, feel free to move to a different thread if there's a better one....

Just spoke to a friend whose nephew is a one & done this year. he's expected to go in the lottery by most mocks. We were talking about how NIL has reduced the stress of lining up an agent and talking to potential sponsors between declaring for draft and draft day. (He already has an agent and has several NIL sponsors he signed with a year ago) Then she surprised me with this "I hate NIL. [My nephew] is making insane amounts of money and he isn't old enough to know how to handle that. I know they need to share the wealth with the players, but if they don't have good guidance from parents, it's going to lead to a tragedy." (I'm paraphrasing, but that's close to verbatim)

We talked for a while. She told me some hair-raising stories about what some of his teammates have done with their money and the culture it is producing. (In her nephew's case, all the money goes into a trust and the trustee is not a family member or friend.) She also said it is well known that most of the top kids in the P5 are making more than their coaches are. The kids all know each other from AAU ball and they talk. I told her I had heard Bacot was north of a million. She laughed and said she knows at least 20 freshmen who are well into the 7 figures. (I can't verify anything she said about figures, but I've known her for a long time and she's not a big talker and I don't think she's exaggerating.)

It's a different world out there. :eek:
Sounds to me like lottery winners that win millions of dollars and don't know how to handle it. Treat yourself to a new house, a new Porsche, give some away to your friends. Then you realize you have to pay taxes...