NFL Draft

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
For RB, I wonder what Zac Stacy costs at this point now that the Rams have Gurley and Tre Mason. Can you get a 3rd string RB for a 6th round pick? Probably. And that's a guy you know can play in the NFL (3.9 ypc over 300+ career carries, 44 receptions for 300 yards) rather than another hope-and-pray.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Falcons have to draft an OT next, right?

Also, I would love to see the Falcons get Smelter in a late round...I think he'd be a great value pick.

I imagine most of us probably visualize Smelter starting for someone in the NFL.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Falcons have to draft an OT next, right?

Also, I would love to see the Falcons get Smelter in a late round...I think he'd be a great value pick.

I imagine most of us probably visualize Smelter starting for someone in the NFL.

I really think Smelter, Waller, and Shaq would be great fits in the Falcons' new scheme. The emphasis is going to be on mobile OL run blocking well, and from Julio's comments in the AJC the other day, there's going to be an emphasis on all 11 guys carrying out their assignment on every play (which I read as "we're gonna have to block").

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok well Shane Ray is 4 inches taller and faster than Elvis Dumervil who has had plenty of success at the same position. Ray has longer arms than Jared Allen and Terrell Suggs… I’m really not seeing how his measurables are bad at all. I’m not saying Shane Ray is going to be good I’m just defending the fact that his measurables are fine.

Dumervil was a 4th round pick. Allen was a 4th round pick. You want to take Ray in the 4th round and hope he pans out? Go for it. As for Suggs, he plays OLB in a 4-3. Ray is awful against the run, so no way he can play that position.

His 40 time is fine because he has a good first step, but everything else is terrible.

Tell me which one of these is 300lb OL Shaq Mason and which is edge rusher Shane Ray

Vert: 33.5"
20 yd shuttle: 4.53 sec
3 cone: 7.71 sec

Vert: 32.0"
20 yd shuttle: 4.65 sec
3 cone: 7.53 sec

He's just not athletic enough for a first round pick, let alone trading up to make it.

SPARQ results for edge rushers by percentile
Beasley 99.2
Dupree 97.5
Odighizuwa 95.6
Gregory 92.2
Smith 84.2
Fowler 47.1
Ray 18.5

Sure Ray may just have so much Want-It-More he can't be kept off the field, but the odds are strongly against that.

Here's a great article from Justis Mosqueda on what he calls "Force Players" http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/53704/466/force-players-2015-draft

My favorite takeaway is this line:

In the third round, the Force Players' AV average is 3.85. In the first round, the non-Force Players' AV average is 2.85. The data would suggest that if you deem a player worthy of a third round pick and he passes certain athletic thresholds, that he'd be better on average than players deemed as first rounders who don't.

So whether or not you like Ray, you're probably better off selecting someone like Preston Smith or Danielle Hunter in later rounds.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1st: beasley
2nd:Cam Erving ( move him to guard) or randy gregory.
3rd:Eric Rowe (fs) or jay ajayi (rb)
4th: Conley (wr)
5th:josh shaw (cb)
6th:shaq mason
7th:deandre smelter
On round 2 and 3 I would rather have the first guys I mentioned.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Dumervil was a 4th round pick. Allen was a 4th round pick. You want to take Ray in the 4th round and hope he pans out? Go for it. As for Suggs, he plays OLB in a 4-3. Ray is awful against the run, so no way he can play that position.

His 40 time is fine because he has a good first step, but everything else is terrible.

Tell me which one of these is 300lb OL Shaq Mason and which is edge rusher Shane Ray

Vert: 33.5"
20 yd shuttle: 4.53 sec
3 cone: 7.71 sec

Vert: 32.0"
20 yd shuttle: 4.65 sec
3 cone: 7.53 sec

He's just not athletic enough for a first round pick, let alone trading up to make it.

SPARQ results for edge rushers by percentile
Beasley 99.2
Dupree 97.5
Odighizuwa 95.6
Gregory 92.2
Smith 84.2
Fowler 47.1
Ray 18.5

Sure Ray may just have so much Want-It-More he can't be kept off the field, but the odds are strongly against that.

Here's a great article from Justis Mosqueda on what he calls "Force Players" http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/53704/466/force-players-2015-draft

My favorite takeaway is this line:

So whether or not you like Ray, you're probably better off selecting someone like Preston Smith or Danielle Hunter in later rounds.
I place value off of what I see on tape and he’s proven he’s a quality pass rusher on tape. He’ll have to make the transition to OLB but when you get to learn behind Von Miller and Demarcus Ware it certainly helps.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
1st: beasley
2nd:Cam Erving ( move him to guard) or randy gregory.
3rd:Eric Rowe (fs) or jay ajayi (rb)
4th: Conley (wr)
5th:josh shaw (cb)
6th:shaq mason
7th:deandre smelter
On round 2 and 3 I would rather have the first guys I mentioned.
Eric Rowe would be a steal in the 3rd round if he’s still there.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
I place value off of what I see on tape and he’s proven he’s a quality pass rusher on tape. He’ll have to make the transition to OLB but when you get to learn behind Von Miller and Demarcus Ware it certainly helps.

Agree to disagree then. I just don't think you should trade up to draft a project with non-elite potential in the first round.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I really wanted DJ Humphries...I like his upside and our biggest need is OT

Need OT, CB and WR.

LB wasn't a big need...

I like Shaq though...think he will be a solid player and the Panthers LB corp is going to be really good.

Don't think Shaq is a elite player but will be a solid starter.

I am glad we didn't take a stretch and get TJ Clemmings though.

Now need OT. Bad.

I thought Shaq was kind of a bizzare pick considering the Panthers needs

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This may have been posted and if so I apologize, but the ACC had nine first round selections. The SEC, if I can remember, had seven.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
My second team is IU because my mom went there and they're true CFB underdogs. I'm very excited that I can keep watching Tevin Coleman on weekends. He's going to be good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My second team is IU because my mom went there and they're true CFB underdogs. I'm very excited that I can keep watching Tevin Coleman on weekends. He's going to be good.

I'd forgotten that Kyle Shanahan is now the OC in Atlanta. He's going to bring the zone blocking scheme (hello Shaq Mason!). They pointed out how that scheme puts a premium on guys who can make one cut and take it up the field...Coleman is going to excel in that scheme. RBs don't need to be big in that scheme, just skilled. Coleman is pretty skilled.

Going to be a fun offense to watch next season with those weapons at the skill positions.