Next year's expectations - wants/needs

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
That was 29 years ago in a very different football environment. Do I think Tech can be Top 25? Yes. Top 10? No. The money gap is huge and growing.

Tech is a small program with limited resources, a small fan base, and limited curriculum. This is the constraint we have to deal with ... and I hope CGC proves me wrong.

It's more about TV $ now and going forward. My understanding there are colleges cutting down on size of stadiums around the country including UNC and AL. The AL info was given to me by a Dawg who seems to follow this stuff closely, but he is a Dawg, so who knows. I like CGC and his promotion of the 404 and sidewalk potential fans in the atlanta area etc, my point being is we may not be as bad off as some think beginning several years out, we just got a tough situation these next few years to get through. All IMO of course and I've been wrong before.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's more about TV $ now and going forward. My understanding there are colleges cutting down on size of stadiums around the country including UNC and AL. The AL info was given to me by a Dawg who seems to follow this stuff closely, but he is a Dawg, so who knows. I like CGC and his promotion of the 404 and sidewalk potential fans in the atlanta area etc, my point being is we may not be as bad off as some think beginning several years out, we just got a tough situation these next few years to get through. All IMO of course and I've been wrong before.

Yes, AL is reducing the size of the stadium. They are replacing seats with suites.

The major trends are tv and ticket resellers like StubHub. For example, there’s an Atlanta app where you pay $49 annually (I think) and that includes Tech tickets. Revenue for smaller programs without boosters and merchandise is very difficult.

GT_EE78

Banned
This is more goals as it may take more than one year.
1) continue with the already improved recruiting with some priority towards landing 4 star Ol's and DT's.
2)Eliminate juice crew/dance team.This is football.
3) Find a FG kicker
4)Provide the standard depth chart.
5)Improve local recruiting.GA is talent rich
6)Win 6 games
7)get rid of money down and the DJ
8)start signing an occasional consensus 5 star athlete
9)Better press conferences. I remain optimistic that as he becomes more well established that we'll hear more football speak and less of the used car sales routine/infomercial. After getting the team on a winning track,this will be needed for long term success.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
1) continue with the already improved recruiting with some priority towards landing 4 star Ol's and DT's.
3) Find a FG kicker
6)Win 6 games
9)Better press conferences. I remain optimistic that as he becomes more well established that we'll hear more football speak and less of the used car sales routine/infomercial. After getting the team on a winning track,this will be needed for long term success.
Press conferences are for the team, not fans. Dabo's are still garbage, and Saban never says anything remotely interesting.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
3) Find a FG kicker
6)Win 6 games

You cant have your cake and eat it too. Remove these three goals and change the culture Collins is trying to establish. You're going to be disappointed if you expect stuff, like the three things in bold above, to go away and not become more prominent. You may not like it but its here to stay.

GT_EE78

Banned
You cant have your cake and eat it too. Remove these three goals and change the culture Collins is trying to establish. You're going to be disappointed if you expect stuff, like the three things in bold above, to go away and not become more prominent. You may not like it but its here to stay.
With on field success i think he'll reach a point when cheesy gimmicks are no longer needed so I hope your wrong about this.time will tell.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
3) Find a FG kicker
6)Win 6 games

I would also like to get rid of the solid gold dancers. It really looks silly. The last time I went to a high school game there were no dancers. Why would you embarrass your players like that? Emotion on the sidelines is a great benefit of team sports. And should be encouraged. But some sort of choreographed male dancers does not create emotion. Juice should be grass roots, not choreographed. Juice is players getting hyped because of team performance. And I am all for the sidelines having emotion/juice. And I laud CGC for getting the team juiced. But I cannot erase the memory of the juice crew dancing while losing to the Citadel. I cannot imagine it is not a distraction for the starters. Just the opinion from an older fan.

As far as the money down, another gimmick, but I know Collins loves this so I am OK with it. When it becomes synonymous with stops on third down it will be OK. BTW, my in-laws are all Gator fans. They thought GCG was a good coordinator and liked him, but did not care for money down either. (The bills with CGCs face on them is cheesy. Put Buzz on the bills please)

I agree with #3. I did not see a kicker in the recruiting class. Please tell me I missed it and there is someone coming in to help.

I think #9 is not going to happen. And I am OK with that as well. Most head coaches are nothing but coachspeak. Why should CGC be any different. I am fine listening to Thacker. After an interview with him I am ready to put pads on and play. Then I realize my age and sulk back behind this computer.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I seriously doubt these things had much of any impact on who signed this year. I believe our success in recruiting is based on the staff's hard arsed work, taking some chances on kids, family atmosphere (most quoted by recruits), welcoming hs coaches to visit, moving on from the TO, and early playing time. I don't count the emphasis on Atlanta and 404 as gimmicks. The things EE78 noted are indeed silly, regardless of age.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
My top 3 are as follows:

1) Got to develop more cohesiveness and strength in the front 7 on D.

2) The O-line needs to be able to get to the 2nd level of the opposing D via scheme or execution

3) Must find a way to get a weapon on the perimeter to stretch defenses. Brown cant do it alone from the slot.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just to go over some high level things, I would like to see.

1) Something that will generate interest to come to games. Face it... Only true, devoted fans go to games to watch a team that can't win games. Now, I don't expect to be a top 10 team, next year. Nor do I expect to win 10 games. However; I would hope to see 5 or more wins. The question is, how to generate fan interest? How do you get the GT fan to go to a game? Maybe do a ticket program? I know I got to see the Ugag/GT game, this year. Mainly because of a very kind hearted GT fan. I think more acts of kindness, like that will only make the program better. However; there are other ways to generate interest. That seriously could be a whole other topic. How to generate fan interest to attend games.
2) Better coaching. I have thought long and hard over this. Yes, we have a talent gap. Yes, the players need to do things better on the field. However; I felt that the coaches didn't do the best of jobs in preparing for games, coming up with game plans or adjusting to what teams were doing. The coaches have got to be able to put these young men, in a position to succeed, not put them in a position to fail, unless they do something amazing.
3) Special teams. This has been a common theme for a long time now. There are many teams that we are pretty even with. Often Special Teams make the difference in a loss or a win. This includes field goals, kick offs, punt returns and such. I think we have a decent punter, but past that, we struggle.
4) Lastly, some cool plays. When fans on either side can predict what play we are running over 70% of the time, that isn't good. If someone at the fan level, can do that, you can best your sweet butt, the other coaches can. I would like to see the other side's coaches look dazed and confused, because we threw a wrench into their game plan. This can go onto coaching, but I thought it deserved a highlight on its own. If we can steal some points off of keeping the other team confused, that only benefits us. To make it even better. I would like to see a 1st half game plan and then a 2nd half game plan. Just to see the other coaches squirm.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I sense a lot of upcoming whining from you about how GT is not meeting your expectations. Is there an ignore button on here? I dont want to subject myself to constant negativity.

For one, with two true freshmen in the mix, its very possible we will be thinking long term and not short term and experimenting with quarterbacks again.

For two, the oline is still very much a work in progress and to expect us to just run down peoples throats is ridiculous. UGA couldnt do that to decent teams with a veteran 4-5 star OLine and Hershell Walker the 8th (if I am counting correctly). They couldnt because if you cant keep the D honest with a passing game most any team can stop you. To have a passing game we still need to focus disproportionately on pass protection (at the expense of run practice). And we need the QBs to make major progress (again requiring a disproportionate amount of practice time at the expense of run practice). It'll pay off in 2021 of course, but I guess I need to prepare now for a year of whining about how we arent meeting expectations because we arent just running it down people's throats.

I personally thought WreckinGT's goals and expectations are pretty reasonable. If setting the bar at 5 wins is what constitutes unreasonable expectations worthy of setting a poster on ignore, I guess we are in for another long season of infighting on the Swarm :(

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Putting your eggs in "next years record" is a recipe for setting oneself up for disappointment. CGC AND staff have now essentially completed 1 complete recruiting cycle. Next year he'll be working with RS-FR that he practically recruited by himself in addition to the rest of the roster with a years experience in a completely new offensive system, where talent level and injuries contributed greatly to the outcomes on the field.

Although instant gratification is nice and winning is much more fun than losing, would 1 or 2 more wins this season had made a difference?

The lack of wins was not the frustration I felt. It was the extremely poor play at times, especially on O, and lack of being competitive with teams with similar talent. We were hopelessly out of too many games way too early, even for a team in magnamous transition.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
That was 29 years ago in a very different football environment. Do I think Tech can be Top 25? Yes. Top 10? No. The money gap is huge and growing.

Tech is a small program with limited resources, a small fan base, and limited curriculum. This is the constraint we have to deal with ... and I hope CGC proves me wrong.

And saying this helps how?

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I need a bowl game to be satisfied. I realize the OOC schedule is tough, but the ACC is absolute trash right now. We need to beat Gardner Webb soundly, and manage to win 5 more games among UCF and ACC teams who aren’t Clemson. A bowl game should never seem like a lofty goal. We’ve always expected bowl seasons every year of CPJs tenure and before. The best team we beat (which relied on their kicking game being worse than ours) just got shut out by Louisiana Tech and the exceptionally talented roster of Temple that we’ve heard so much about just got destroyed by UNC, so maybe a bowl game is an unrealistic expectation of this staff. I hope they turn it around, but we’re going to need more than hype to win games.