Next year's expectations - wants/needs

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I sense a lot of upcoming whining from you about how GT is not meeting your expectations. Is there an ignore button on here? I dont want to subject myself to constant negativity.

For one, with two true freshmen in the mix, its very possible we will be thinking long term and not short term and experimenting with quarterbacks again.

For two, the oline is still very much a work in progress and to expect us to just run down peoples throats is ridiculous. UGA couldnt do that to decent teams with a veteran 4-5 star OLine and Hershell Walker the 8th (if I am counting correctly). They couldnt because if you cant keep the D honest with a passing game most any team can stop you. To have a passing game we still need to focus disproportionately on pass protection (at the expense of run practice). And we need the QBs to make major progress (again requiring a disproportionate amount of practice time at the expense of run practice). It'll pay off in 2021 of course, but I guess I need to prepare now for a year of whining about how we arent meeting expectations because we arent just running it down people's throats.
What is more negative, assuming we can't win with the current coaching staff and roster (plus recruiting class) or assuming that we can win with them? What is the point in getting Clayton for one year and Johnson for one year as transfers if we can't win some games with them? Personally, I hope the coaching staff isn't as down on the current situation as you are and are feeling good about what they have coming back and their ability to win some games with it. Assuming that we can win 5 games isn't some monumental expectation. Are Clayton and Johnson and Ezzard going to make no difference? Are none of our recruits going to contribute at all next year? Is another year in the system not going to benefit everyone on offense and defense? Why can't we win now?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We are short about 4 DTs that actually play like 4* DTs. Until we have 4 like this, we will be disappointed vs the big boys who like to run up the gut.

Jmonty71

Banned
needs - a new offense

wants - more than 4 wins
New offense is rather vague. I think the offense is ok. Just need some better situational calls, here and there. When you mean new offense, you mean new players, new scheme, new OC?? A lot can be read into new offense.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
What is more negative, assuming we can't win with the current coaching staff and roster (plus recruiting class) or assuming that we can win with them? What is the point in getting Clayton for one year and Johnson for one year as transfers if we can't win some games with them? Personally, I hope the coaching staff isn't as down on the current situation as you are and are feeling good about what they have coming back and their ability to win some games with it. Assuming that we can win 5 games isn't some monumental expectation. Are Clayton and Johnson and Ezzard going to make no difference? Are none of our recruits going to contribute at all next year? Is another year in the system not going to benefit everyone on offense and defense? Why can't we win now?
Its like you dont understand the process at all. The process is designed to change the program long term not win games short term. Your paradigm is obsolete.

Second level teams play their best 11 the whole game because it maximizes their chances of winning now. Problem is the next year they have a bunch of new players to break in.

Top level teams generally rotate players a lot more. Year to year is a less hard transition. I expect us to continue to rotate players like a top level team even though it will likely cost us a few wins this year.

We could play our top 22 all game and by definition be more competitive with our opponents. But in some cases that might mean a Sr playing 100% of the snaps, and getting all that development, even though he is only a little better than a Freshman after his first month at GT. Then in 2021 we are not where we could have been if we had played the frosh.

Expand that across the whole team and you should see how we are likely to sacrifice some wins short term to develop our young talent and put ourselves in a position to be a top level team.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
This question may help. Hopefully.

Would you rather see us get to 6 wins playing mostly seniors and juniors, or 5 wins playing mostly freshmen and sophomores?

I dont mind the perspective that 6>5 period, but Im trying to point out I dont think CGC is thinking short term like that. I think he is literally thinking 3 and 4 years out.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Its like you dont understand the process at all. The process is designed to change the program long term not win games short term. Your paradigm is obsolete.

Second level teams play their best 11 the whole game because it maximizes their chances of winning now. Problem is the next year they have a bunch of new players to break in.

Top level teams generally rotate players a lot more. Year to year is a less hard transition. I expect us to continue to rotate players like a top level team even though it will likely cost us a few wins this year.

We could play our top 22 all game and by definition be more competitive with our opponents. But in some cases that might mean a Sr playing 100% of the snaps, and getting all that development, even though he is only a little better than a Freshman after his first month at GT. Then in 2021 we are not where we could have been if we had played the frosh.

Expand that across the whole team and you should see how we are likely to sacrifice some wins short term to develop our young talent and put ourselves in a position to be a top level team.

So if I understand your reasoning, each year we will be trading wins in the current year for the "possibility" of wins at some point in the future. That is a long term losing strategy.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Collins himself said this would be the last Christmas break for him for a long time, or something to that effect (the thread with the link the Quinlan interview had that), so I think that’s a reasonable expectation for next year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
this is great and had no idea about it

Mod's can you sticky this signup??? we could impact this alot if 200 people signed up.
I tried to raise awareness in our Financial thread. It's definitely simple:
This is a good time to remind anyone who uses Amazon for online shopping. If you use smile.amazon.com you can have a percentage of your order total get donated to a charity of your own choosing at no cost to you the customer. I am not suggesting or asking for anyone to do this, but coincidentally, the GTAA is a charity you can pick.
View attachment 7206

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I would agree top level teams probably do rotate in and out more, but I also thinks it’s a case where correlation is not causation. Top level teams probably rotate more because they have the ability to. When you have similar talent to your starters in the 2nd and 3rd strings, it’s beneficial to rotate because it rests your number 1 guys without sacrificing a ton in production. Even when teams rotate, their beat players still typically play ~90% of snaps because if they’re head and shoulders above the rest of the team, you can’t afford to not have them on the field. Think Roquan Smith, Tyrann Matthieu, Chase Young, etc. This is the biggest reason Tech has struggled in the past in close games. We have to play our best all game because there is no depth, and when your best play all game they get tired late. Building depth is one of the biggest positives with this recruiting class.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This year is a foundation year. "Getting all creative with the playcalling" would be a retarded step backward from continuing to build the foundation that will take us to the top.

Graham needs to focus on his footwork, not trick plays and a huge playbook. We are who we are: a young developing team. We need to work on doing the fundamentals good and we can worry about getting creative later.

I would rather go from 3-8 to 11-0-1 than sneak out 5-7 with trick plays then go 8-4 because our fundamentals were lacking and we didnt develop and creative playcalling alone cant close the gap with our top opponents.
1. I want to have good 19 recruiting class and I want several to be ATL and get playing time.
2. 2020 - A few trick plays would be ok, but I want to see how many young players can make plays. (i e Brown in 19) .

3. We need to keep showing a commitment for playing young talent. We need attract a few day one nfl level players to Add to our increasingly talented squad.

4. 2021 recruiting class - one 5 star.

Recruiting must step up in 2021.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
So if I understand your reasoning, each year we will be trading wins in the current year for the "possibility" of wins at some point in the future. That is a long term losing strategy.
I'm telling you thats the reality for 2020. It is only a "long term losing strategy" if we fail to progress to the top tier.

There are a lot of Tech fans on here who in the ceiling thread are declaring that they believe it is impossible for us to be top tier. You seem to agree. You might be right.

But you might be wrong. CGC thinks you are wrong and that we have no cap. I agree with him, and even if I didn't, I think he is right to try.

Ross showed it can be done here.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I don't understand the process described here because im pretty sure you made it up. I have a hard time believing that CGC is intentionally accepting losses that could be wins because he thinks several years from now it will pay off in some way. Seems like a pretty risky strategy, especially for a coach that only has 3 years of experience and has never done anything similar to this before. Also, how long is the sacrificing process? When is he going to start trying to win games?

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
I would agree top level teams probably do rotate in and out more, but I also thinks it’s a case where correlation is not causation. Top level teams probably rotate more because they have the ability to. When you have similar talent to your starters in the 2nd and 3rd strings, it’s beneficial to rotate because it rests your number 1 guys without sacrificing a ton in production. Even when teams rotate, their beat players still typically play ~90% of snaps because if they’re head and shoulders above the rest of the team, you can’t afford to not have them on the field. Think Roquan Smith, Tyrann Matthieu, Chase Young, etc. This is the biggest reason Tech has struggled in the past in close games. We have to play our best all game because there is no depth, and when your best play all game they get tired late. Building depth is one of the biggest positives with this recruiting class.
Agreed, and I dont know if anyone else is trying to build like CGC is. It might be crazy to rotate before you are a top team and it might be crazy genius.

I think it makes perfect sense considering he has been given a long leash from the AA (not so long here apparently LOL) to rebuild.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand the process described here because im pretty sure you made it up. I have a hard time believing that CGC is intentionally accepting losses that could be wins because he thinks several years from now it will pay off in some way. Seems like a pretty risky strategy, especially for a coach that only has 3 years of experience and has never done anything similar to this before. Also, how long is the sacrificing process? When is he going to start trying to win games?
What do you think "we are a development program" means? What do you think having an ATL chart instead of a depth chart means?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins is going to keep rotating players because he is building a program and is not worried about wins and losses right now. I can see us rotating more QB’s next year than we did this year. The difference is the quality will be better as Johnson and Oliver were just bad. I expect all 4 QB’s to get playing time (Graham, Yates, Gleason, and Sims). Collins career does not depend on 2020. He will make or break his head coaching career in 2022 and beyond so his QB decision will be huge and it will be a long audition process. I really have no clue why smart GT alums can’t understand that we are building and it’s not going to happen over night. We had 2 four stars when Collins became the head coach. I know many of you are worried about dying before we win another Natty but Collins can’t help that. He’s simply going to put GT in a position to be a contender for the long run.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like to rotate QB’s either, but right now we have no idea who, of the 4, turns into the leader and performer. Graham and Yates will get long looks and if one takes over then Collins won’t rotate. The other 2 have 4 games to prove themselves before the redshirt decision. I’d love for Graham to get consistent and be the next Joe Ham. It comes down to off season work. I just think Gleason is the most polished of the 4 coming from Plant.