Next year's expectations - wants/needs

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ross showed it can be done here.

That was 29 years ago in a very different football environment. Do I think Tech can be Top 25? Yes. Top 10? No. The money gap is huge and growing.

Tech is a small program with limited resources, a small fan base, and limited curriculum. This is the constraint we have to deal with ... and I hope CGC proves me wrong.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
What do you think CGC means when he says "developmental program?
Its pretty obvious its a focus on developing both players and the program, which is different than a maximize wins now mentality.

Which SOWEGA jacket explained very well above.

CGC has said "trust the process" a hundred times so if you still dont trust the process tomorrow should convince you to get on board. Long term gratification beats short term gratification all day long.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What do you think "we are a development program" means? What do you think having an ATL chart instead of a depth chart means?
What do I think it means? That he thinks he needs to develop players and parts of the program to get them to a level that he has in mind. I’m not sure that correlates to, we are going to do some things that will turn wins into losses for the future benefit of some magical process that he has never gone through before. If we are being honest, the terms process and developmental are just cop out words thrown out at press conferences and in interviews to get people off his back, which I dont really fault him for. Every coach has a process and is trying to develop players.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to see improvement across the board, but the biggest needs are OL and DL. With the grad transfer from UT, and something like 7 incoming freshmen, plus Hanson and Cooper coming back healthy, I think we will see improvement there. With the DL....not so sure yet. But I was encouraged by coach's talk about J. Lee switching back to DT and seeing his potential there. Maybe with him and Clayton and whatever guys sign today we can see some improvement there too. Its officially the offseason, where hope springs eternal! :)

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
What do I think it means? That he thinks he needs to develop players and parts of the program to get them to a level that he has in mind. I’m not sure that correlates to, we are going to do some things that will turn wins into losses for the future benefit of some magical process that he has never gone through before. If we are being honest, the terms process and developmental are just cop out words thrown out at press conferences and in interviews to get people off his back, which I dont really fault him for. Every coach has a process and is trying to develop players.
Magical? Magical? Damn dude, you think his concepts are magical? Have you never coached?

Look at what Collins says about ATL. The way he practices is that everyone ATL gets equal reps. Collins says that coaches using a two deep philosophy typically skew the reps 2 to 1 for the starter.

One philosophy leads to better starters at the expense of backups while the other would necessarily lead to better backups at the expense of the starters.

How that would affect year 1 GT, in games, considering our depth is 2 star and walkons and considering that means this year our best players got less reps installing the new scheme vs the two deep system should be obvious.

But its not about w-l this year. Its about building a culture and a system and an identity that will be successful long term. He has been very consistent telling you it is different. That you wont listen and think hes just babbling "cop out words" and coachspeak is literally why you dont understand at all.

His program IS different. He has made that clear. It ABSOLUTELY remains to be seen if it will work or not. But he got hired to try it here and he was even given seven years so I suggest you take to heart his suggestion to "trust the process".

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned
That was 29 years ago in a very different football environment. Do I think Tech can be Top 25? Yes. Top 10? No. The money gap is huge and growing.

Tech is a small program with limited resources, a small fan base, and limited curriculum. This is the constraint we have to deal with ... and I hope CGC proves me wrong.
I agree. Back then highly talented recruits did not have agents chirping in their ears. While I thinking cheating the system, did exist back then. Now, I think the NCAA turns their heads, in the interest of making money. Schools commit recruiting violations, left and right. Depending on the school, determines whether the NCAA gets involved. I mean heck, USC gave Reggie Bush's mother a house! What happened? The school got a slap on the wrist and Bush has his Heisman pulled. Just saying, it's a much different world now. Some schools are nothing more than a minor league pro team.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
gtcrew are you CGC trolling this site? lol

Seriously, as you stated, the GCG experiment will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Although I do not think it is fundamentally different than other college programs. Every program is a "developmental program". Every program has a practice regimen. Every program has an in game player rotation. Every coach has his "coachspeak".

As an inexperienced head coach, CGC is creating his brand as he goes. I suspect we will see adjustments/improvements as the brand develops. His enthusiasm and attitude are both refreshing and I think needed to develop his brand. I also suspect his branding is something he has been working on during his coaching career. Pulling bits and pieces from the schools and head coaches he worked for. As has been discussed ad nasuem on this board, he is especially fond of recruiting and seems to have brought together as staff built to recruit. Will be interesting to see what this years recruiting class looks like at the end of the day.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
gtcrew are you CGC trolling this site? lol

Seriously, as you stated, the GCG experiment will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Although I do not think it is fundamentally different than other college programs. Every program is a "developmental program". Every program has a practice regimen. Every program has an in game player rotation. Every coach has his "coachspeak".
You are simply saying that because every college has a practice regimen (etc.), that every college is fundamentally the same? A kangaroo has two arms, is bipedal, has hair, etc. Is it "fundamentally" the same as a human?

No sense arguing what fundamental means. But I'm explaining how CGC's program is very different from other programs. I dont care if it is or is not "fundamentally" the same as Carolinas or Pitt's simply because we all have practice regimens. What we are doing is very different from other colleges, at least different within the context of both being college football programs.

As an inexperienced head coach, CGC is creating his brand as he goes. I suspect we will see adjustments/improvements as the brand develops. His enthusiasm and attitude are both refreshing and I think needed to develop his brand. I also suspect his branding is something he has been working on during his coaching career. Pulling bits and pieces from the schools and head coaches he worked for. As has been discussed ad nasuem on this board, he is especially fond of recruiting and seems to have brought together as staff built to recruit. Will be interesting to see what this years recruiting class looks like at the end of the day.
Agreed. Although hes not making anything up as he goes. Hes had this vision for many years and he is executing it. It seems inarguable that he might tweak it here or there but such tweaking certainly hasnt been obvious. And tweaking a plan is a long way from making it up as you go.

Last edited:

Sidewalking

Banned
New offense is rather vague. I think the offense is ok. Just need some better situational calls, here and there. When you mean new offense, you mean new players, new scheme, new OC?? A lot can be read into new offense.

One that works, puts points up on the scoreboard, and can control the clock when needed.

Sidewalking

Banned
Magical? Magical? Damn dude, you think his concepts are magical? Have you never coached?

Look at what Collins says about ATL. The way he practices is that everyone ATL gets equal reps. Collins says that coaches using a two deep philosophy typically skew the reps 2 to 1 for the starter.

One philosophy leads to better starters at the expense of backups while the other would necessarily lead to better backups at the expense of the starters.

How that would affect year 1 GT, in games, considering our depth is 2 star and walkons and considering that means this year our best players got less reps installing the new scheme vs the two deep system should be obvious.

But its not about w-l this year. Its about building a culture and a system and an identity that will be successful long term. He has been very consistent telling you it is different. That you wont listen and think hes just babbling "cop out words" and coachspeak is literally why you dont understand at all.

His program IS different. He has made that clear. It ABSOLUTELY remains to be seen if it will work or not. But he got hired to try it here and he was even given seven years so I suggest you take to heart his suggestion to "trust the process".

Hard to trust the process after 3-9. Recruiting class gives hope but next years record will say a whole lot more.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
As for wants/needs? I want Graham to work on his footwork and pass progressions. We need a better O line. I want P'nut to get more inventive in play calling. We need better overall team performance.

In game performance related to Graham progressions are directly related to better O-Line play, and P'nut being "more inventive with play calling is dependent on my previous mentions. It will take more time, but we are definitely headed in the right direction.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is going to keep rotating players because he is building a program and is not worried about wins and losses right now. I can see us rotating more QB’s next year than we did this year. The difference is the quality will be better as Johnson and Oliver were just bad. I expect all 4 QB’s to get playing time (Graham, Yates, Gleason, and Sims). Collins career does not depend on 2020. He will make or break his head coaching career in 2022 and beyond so his QB decision will be huge and it will be a long audition process. I really have no clue why smart GT alums can’t understand that we are building and it’s not going to happen over night. We had 2 four stars when Collins became the head coach. I know many of you are worried about dying before we win another Natty but Collins can’t help that. He’s simply going to put GT in a position to be a contender for the long run.

Not to worry, the next Natty WILL kill 'em.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to trust the process after 3-9. Recruiting class gives hope but next years record will say a whole lot more.

Putting your eggs in "next years record" is a recipe for setting oneself up for disappointment. CGC AND staff have now essentially completed 1 complete recruiting cycle. Next year he'll be working with RS-FR that he practically recruited by himself in addition to the rest of the roster with a years experience in a completely new offensive system, where talent level and injuries contributed greatly to the outcomes on the field.

Although instant gratification is nice and winning is much more fun than losing, would 1 or 2 more wins this season had made a difference?

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
We are going in circles. The process is designed to maximize our long term not our short term. You cant look at the current record at all. I highly recommend not looking at next years record either.

However, we are getting somewhere with your second comment. The process IS designed to attract recruits. Instead of looking at next year's record, smart fans will be looking at the freshman. If we were singularly focused on maximizing wins in 2020, we would play an offensive line of five seniors and juniors. No rotation, and those five would get a disproportionate number of the reps in spring and fall practice. And we might win 6 instead of 5. And then in 2021, we would have a line loaded with redshirt freshmen with no game experience and limited practice reps which would suck compared to sophomores with game experience and loads of practice reps.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
The other thing to look at on the freshmen is how they compare to the upperclassmen. Experience matters, but so does talent. To get to the top we need talent and experience.

It shouldnt be hard to see the talent in year 1 even if it is raw and prone to mistakes.