Next year?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you think this harder than this year's schedule? As you point out GA, VT and FSU at home. FSU? without Winston and 3/4 of that great O line, VT? please, unless Beamer pulls something magical out of his arse they're a serious train wreck, GA? Lets see, new QB, new WRs and a D that Tech torched this year. Road games? clemspon? loses almost all it's D line and LBs, Miami will be a bear but again loses D. Johnson and some of their O line and D losses, ND? again they lose the starting OB and wound up 7-5 this year.

I've seen some other folks say this about the 15' schedule but in reality it isn't much different than this year and we know how this season is going ;)
These teams have a long history of either not being down 2 years in a row or simply reloading. We have a chance to be better if additions on D pan out and very young A & B backs come through, but this IS a tougher schedule.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not get the conversation about the defensive line this year at all. Does anyone seriously need to point out what we all know, that this was an area of weakness this year? And does anyone seriously believe that CPJ is so incompetent or dumb that he does not work over time on trying to get defensive tackles? And is there anyone left on this blog who still does not understand that there are fewer good academically qualified defensive tackles available across the country than at any other position? And finally, does anyone still doubt at this point that much of the off season attrition actually did this team GOOD by removing players from the team who did not want to be team players and who were a distraction to other players who were happy to be here?

I am sorry but I just find nit picking and criticizing of the ACC coach of the year a rather archaic exercise at this point.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So you was fine with the way the defense line played last night ? Go back and watch the tape which I have already(twice).

No. I'm not. If you got that from my post you should probably read it again because I never said nor implied anything like that. You're projecting.

If we want tech to get the national attention we have to improve in that category. Not going to argue with some of you guys. Your upset with another tech fan because he truthfully expressed an area on the defense that is a tad bit below average? My post was not to critize but to just point out the difference in why we haven't beaten those guys the last two times we played them.

Drop the persecution complex. I'm not upset and I have no issue with what you said about the D-line. Everybody knows that's the team's biggest weakness. My issue was with you saying "someone needs to light a fire under CPJs ***." Do you think he's not aware of the problem, not willing to fix the problem, or doesn't care? Or some combination of the three? That's delusional. The guy knows the situation. I mean we've got 4 DTs committed this year and IIRC we're even looking for another!

Like I said we lost a ton of guys on the D-line before the season started and after signing day. What do you want him to do? He can't just go out and sign free agents to fill the spots.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So you was fine with the way the defense line played last night ? Go back and watch the tape which I have already(twice). If we want tech to get the national attention we have to improve in that category. Not going to argue with some of you guys. Your upset with another tech fan because he truthfully expressed an area on the defense that is a tad bit below average? My post was not to critize but to just point out the difference in why we haven't beaten those guys the last two times we played them.
We're not a factory. Attrition hurts us worse than others, especially if it happens multiple times in the single hardest position group to recruit.

No. I'm not. If you got that from my post you should probably read it again because I never said nor implied anything like that. You're projecting.

Drop the persecution complex. I'm not upset and I have no issue with what you said about the D-line. Everybody knows that's the team's biggest weakness. My issue was with you saying "someone needs to light a fire under CPJs ***." Do you think he's not aware of the problem, not willing to fix the problem, or doesn't care? Or some combination of the three? That's delusional. The guy knows the situation. I mean we've got 4 DTs committed this year and IIRC we're even looking for another!
What does any of that have to do with why were weak at that position ? Maybe your interpretation of lighting a fire under someone is a little different than mine. Did your old man ride your a** when you was kid or something ??

Squints

Helluva Engineer
What does any of that have to do with why were weak at that position?

This has been explained to you. One of the major issues of the weakness of the position was and is the lack of bodies caused by attrition in the offseason. There's no quality depth. The coach's hands are kind of tied there.

Maybe your interpretation of lighting a fire under someone is a little different than mine. Did your old man ride your a** when you was kid or something ??

Please enlighten me then because the meaning of the phrase isn't exactly ambiguous.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
In all honesty, I thought of this year as a building/rebuilding year for us. It turned out a lot better that I thought. Sophomore QB, young O line, and a lot of youth on D. Ted and CPJ did a good job of adjusting the D to get the maximum out of it. I honestly do not think the players that left would have contributed much up front on D anyway IMO. I think we have a good group coming in and coming back on that side of the ball. I am concerned about our skill position players on O though. Mostly concerned about blocking from our WRs.