Next year?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Our defense line has to improve greatly. After watching last night game is just brought my mind back to reality on how bad we have been in that group over the years. Someone needs to light a fire in Cpj butt for not having a handful of extra guys that weigh more than 275. This is where the top teams seperate themselves from the rest of the country. Championship teams start with the war in the trenches.

You think CPJ, CTR and Coach Pelton don't know this? Did you forget about the pre season personnel losses this year? Have you not looked at the 3 '15 DT recruits? They had to dance with got them there and unfortunately they came up 2 points short last night.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that several teams will probably give us as much trouble as we can ask for next year, but I am most concerned about two of them: VT and Pitt.

Ok, VT was a dumpster fire this year, but recall why: they lost their top three (!) RBs by the time the season was 3 weeks old. And, predictably, their running game sucked as a consequence. Next year (I think) two of them will be back, including Shae McKinsie, by far the most talented one. I think they will be back to the old VT and a tough out.

Pitt had the youngest team in the ACC this year and they simply ooze talent at the skill positions. We would had a time with them if they hadn't decided to hand us the football game. True, their coach has - shall we say - challenges with running his team in games, but they look like a real contender for the Coastal to me.

I don't think the schedule is as formidable as it looks, for reasons cited above, but it won't be a cakewalk either. We have to get better on D or things could get very challenging. But that appears to be in process, with results (I hope) showing up with the bowl game.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, I keep looking at our roster and am wondering what our AB/BB/WR two deep will look like. Any help you can give? What are the chances that some of our DB's will move to A Back.

Editorial Comment - Brendan Douglas really screwed up by not coming to GT.

You think CPJ, CTR and Coach Pelton don't know this? Did you forget about the pre season personnel losses this year? Have you not looked at the 3 '15 DT recruits? They had to dance with got them there and unfortunately they came up 2 points short last night.
Oh yeah it's year 7. Oh wait you always find me on here to reply back to my post.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@MacDaddy2

At A Back...Andrews and Snoddy are the two main guys returning... Lynch comes off a redshirt and the walk on Willis is a good one. He will play next year.. I think one of the Austin twins will move over...and Searcy could if needed...then we have Cottrell, Marshall, Jarrett and Benson coming in.

At B Back...CJ Leggett coming off a RS...then we have Quaide Weimerskirch coming in early...After that we have Mikell Lands Davis also enrolling.

WR...we have Summers coming back who of course will start.. then we have Antonio Messick and Ricky Jeune who will need to step up...Jeune is someone the coaches like. Harland Howell is enrolling early and could play next year...Christian Philpott and Brandon Singleton will also be coming in. Two really talented kids.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Just keep in mind the reinforcements coming to the DL next year...we lose Green but add Whitehead, Hunt-Days (see you in Miami!), plus some really good DT recruits. Oh yeah, and Freeman get another year in our S&C program! Great times ahead!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have a brutal schedule next year. We may have a better team but it will be tough to get to 10 wins again. We play FSU, UGA, VT at home and really tough road games at Clemson, Miami, and ND.

Notre Dame was overrated this year...had an OK season. They will lose Everett Gholson and have to break in a new QB...which Brian Kelly didn't have a good track record with before Gholson.

FSU will lose Jameis Winston, no way he comes back. We almost beat them WITH Jameis. Will still be loaded with talent.

UGA will have a new QB, none of whom seem to be all that great. Will have talented RBs, but I think our defense will be much better next season. We beat them in Athens, and get them home next year.

VT...um, I don't think they're "VT" they use to be.

Clemson loses a TON of guys on defense, and OC Chad Morris is gone. Will have all-world Deshaun Watson who will inherit Jameis Winston's throne as poster boy QB in the ACC. Probably the biggest enigma of the bunch.

Miami...until they prove their hype, their awe factor comes from CPJ's losing record against them. Kaaya will be a good QB.

I think with another year of maturity and experience, GT will be a lot more formidable next season. Going 4-1 against those teams listed above is a much harder feat this season than it would be next season.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Impressive, lots of Tech fans already have the team easily undefeated next year on a schedule apparently guaranteed to be easier than this years. That is even with this years schedule lining up (including our byes and other teams) as the best schedule for Tech in 4-5 or so. Maybe this is why so much of the fanbase freaks out over 7-5 seasons? Reminds me of the way UGA fans set themselves up as preseason national champs.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, thanks for the insight. Bruce, you have hit the nail on the head without even saying it. We could be a better team next year without the record indicating it. Looking forward to see what the new skill position players do, there are certainly going to be a lot of new faces ......

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Anybody remember Golden's near pick in the endzone in the 4th qtr? That would have been huge.
Yes, and considering we lost by only 2 points, it could've been a complete game-changer. We could've beaten FSU and taken the ACC crown even without the Smelter factor in the ballgame. That was a play we sure could have used last night. There would've been so many more opportunities to beat FSU if our Pass D had been Man-to-Man instead of a soft zone. That would've also given our pass rushers more opportunities and time to get to collapse the pocket and put some pressure and sacks on Crab Legs. Playing soft Zone Pass D against a prolific passing offense and coach PJ's decision to go for it on 4th and 6 at midfield were the terribly bad decisions last night that cost us the game last night.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Impressive, lots of Tech fans already have the team easily undefeated next year on a schedule apparently guaranteed to be easier than this years. That is even with this years schedule lining up (including our byes and other teams) as the best schedule for Tech in 4-5 or so. Maybe this is why so much of the fanbase freaks out over 7-5 seasons? Reminds me of the way UGA fans set themselves up as preseason national champs.

We're gonna have targets painted on our jerseys next year. We'll be ranked probably in the top 20 next year off the bat. I believe psychologically we benefitted this year from being underestimated by many of our opponents and clearly being underestimated and disrespected by all the pollsters. Clemson and UGA will be chomping at the bit for revenge.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Cant worry about targets or bullseyes or whatever. This is gonna be a good team next year. Justin Thomas coming back, o-line depth at great levels, improved defensive front Can't worry about what other teams do. CLimpsumb and u(sic)ga want to be at us every year. Gotta play physical and keep adhering to the standards we set this yr...

Eli

Helluva Engineer
JT is the leader and will make sure we don't lose focus this off season. I have confidence in that

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If our defense can improve some and the running backs can step up we're gonna be hard to keep up with. Im gonna say 10 wins.

Eric do you think Searcy may move to safety and Gray maybe reciever or he will go to safety as well.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Off the 12/2 defensive two-deep depth chart we lose these seniors for next season: Green, Travis, Nealy, McNair and Johnson. Four starters.

On offense: Days, Laskey, Perkins, Bostic, Zenon, Hill, Waller, Dennis and Mason. Smelter was not on that chart.

We were really a young team this season.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Off the 12/2 defensive two-deep depth chart we lose these seniors for next season: Green, Travis, Nealy, McNair and Johnson. Four starters.

On offense: Days, Laskey, Perkins, Bostic, Zenon, Hill, Waller, Dennis and Mason. Smelter was not on that chart.

We were really a young team this season.
Gamble pretty much replaced Travis and Stargel the past 5 games