Next schedule brutal... whatever

LibertyTurns

Banned
it never ceases to amaze me how some of our alleged long time fans can not pass up a chance to belittle our team and/or conference?
Our fans look foolish when they make outlandish claims everyone knows are ridiculous. We’re supposed to pride ourselves on our abilities to rationally analyze situations, data, etc. The Coastal is mediocre, because top to bottom it’s littered with mediocre teams. Claiming prowess in the Coastal would put us on equal footing with the elite teams is just absurd. I’ll always be a GT fan, but acting the fool because someone thinks this makes us better is just foolishness. We laugh at the mutt for similar behavior. Maybe that’s what you want us to be like but not me.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well I'll certainly be glad to stand by and allow you to quash any foolish optimism or possible lapses into the brighter side.
There’s a difference between being optimistic, ie maybe Jeff Sims is Fr QB of year in 2020 and we win 7 games, we’re going to have a Top 10 recruiting class in 2021, etc. Foolishness is like saying the mutt Engineering School is as good as GT’s because you can get an Engineering job with their degree too. You can say it as many times as you like but it’s just as foolish as the first time you said it.

The Atlantic was the 2nd worst half conference & the Coastal was the worst. We were the worst team in the worst conference in the worst half of that conference. It wasn’t always that way but GT had a horrible year, compounded by the suck that surrounded us.

Here’s to 2020, there’s no where but up!

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Our fans look foolish when they make outlandish claims everyone knows are ridiculous. We’re supposed to pride ourselves on our abilities to rationally analyze situations, data, etc. The Coastal is mediocre, because top to bottom it’s littered with mediocre teams. Claiming prowess in the Coastal would put us on equal footing with the elite teams is just absurd. I’ll always be a GT fan, but acting the fool because someone thinks this makes us better is just foolishness. We laugh at the mutt for similar behavior. Maybe that’s what you want us to be like but not me.

Nobody made outlandish claims about the strength of the coastal in 2019. Creating straw men to argue with makes you look foolish.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Seems like you worded this to annoy the people that don't want a tough schedule and to annoy the people that don't want an easy schedule, and the people who don't really have a strong opinion on it. Perfect.
No, it was to generate the kind of football discussion it, in fact, generated. Your welcome!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Seems like you worded this to annoy the people that don't want a tough schedule and to annoy the people that don't want an easy schedule, and the people who don't really have a strong opinion on it. Perfect.

I want a tough schedule...but not when we are staring another sub .500 season in the face. At present, I am not complaining about Gardner-Webb or Duke or Syracuse. Let's beat Duke, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, UVA, and Pitt. Then we talk about winning the Coastal and talking smack like Miami.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Quick 2 cents. I would rather play a nasty schedule and pull off a lucky win from it than a cream puff schedule and the cream puff get the lucky win.

This year, I would have much rather lost to ND handily than to the Citadel by luck. Our loss was the butt of many jokes (although considered monumental from the Citadel perspective, so hats off to them). No one jokes about losing to a good team. I also think it trains our team to get better and play up every week.

So I say bring it on and GET YA SOME JACKETS!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Quick 2 cents. I would rather play a nasty schedule and pull off a lucky win from it than a cream puff schedule and the cream puff get the lucky win.

This year, I would have much rather lost to ND handily than to the Citadel by luck. Our loss was the butt of many jokes (although considered monumental from the Citadel perspective, so hats off to them). No one jokes about losing to a good team. I also think it trains our team to get better and play up every week.

So I say bring it on and GET YA SOME JACKETS!

Also, it draws better recruits. That's how Florida State pulled itself up by its bootstraps a few decades ago - counter-intuitively, they started toughening up the schedule.

But I think our schedule is plenty tough as it stands next year. For the next 8 years, we play two OOC P-5's, and for the most part one G-5 and one cupcake. That seems about right.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m of the belief that playing these bigger games makes you better able to beat your other opponents because you’re constantly playing upgraded competition. Bring it on

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Might cocky of some of you discounting UCF, let alone chalking them up as a win. After falling to “only” 10-3 last year, their QB Mackenzie Milton who led the Knights to 25 STRAIGHT WINS before injury is back in the picture.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting topic that juxtaposes the costs and benefits of both an easy schedule and a harder schedule.

IMO it's logical Collins would be excited about the schedule for several reasons:

First is the excitement and exposure for the program. While ND isn't a perennial top 5 program like Clemson and Cesspool, it draws a major television audience and puts butts in the seats like those programs do. When you are building a program any opportunity to get your message out there is good. And we recruit many of the same guys ND does d/t good academics. Second, playing the best is a major selling point for recruits: if you come to GT you get to compete against the best competition to show both yourself and NFL scouts what you can do. And playing against the best will prepare you for the League. Third, you don't have to worry about strength of schedule/getting into the playoffs. Run the table and you're in. There are only so many programs that can say that.

Of course there are reasons a coach might want to play patsies. If you were on the hotseat you might want them to jack up your win total. Or if you are already an established contender with a reasonably tough schedule and need breaks to get healthy, rest some starters, and build more depth then you welcome the patsie-type games. Or if you need to build confidence/get reps against lesser competition to tune up, that's also a benefit. Of these though, the only one that really applies to GT is this last one.

With respect to your final question and comment regarding the ACC Coastal, I do feel it makes a big difference in SOS to add ND. First, is physical wear and tear. Nobody else in the Coastal plays Clemson, Cesspool, and ND. Those are very deep teams with size and a plethora of big, mature bodies that come after you in waves. Second, Clemmons is an ACC game and playing them each year makes a big difference relative to other teams. Third, the ACC Coastal isn't considered lowly because it has several cellar dwellars; the Coastal gets no respect because it has no marquee team and has a lot of parity between its schools. But who within our division is an easy "W"? Nobody. There are no breaks.

For me personally I think the positives of adding ND for a team in our position by far outweighs the negatives. And taking down one of these "Big 3" would be awesome!
Bingo! outside of our ACC schedule round out the rest of our schedule with the best that's out there. Players want to play competitive teams!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Personally i'd rather have Georgia Tech playing UAB,Florida Atlantic or East Carolina at Bobby Dodd Stadium than playing Notre Dame at Mercedes Benz Stadium.

It would be nice to have the game at Bobby Dodd. For one brief shining moment we'd see the stands full of gold (and blue!).
It will be nice to have the game at the Benz, too, though. Hope we/they can fill it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think Georgia Tech will go 5-7 and be 4-4 in the ACC which will be good improvement from 2019.

That would be a nice improvement from where we ended last year. However, regardless of how tough or not the schedule is will not matter if something is not done to improve that PFF rating of 130th for the offensive line. I don't know how they come up with that or how valid the methodology is but even if it were off a dozen spots its still not what we need to be competitive. UGA was number 2 ranked offensive line and NC State was pretty high (for what good it did them) as well but most of our traditional Coastal opponents were in the bottom half of the rankings. Job one for Coach Collins and his staff is improve both lines.