Next schedule brutal... whatever

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We play Clemson and Ugag every year, next season adds ND which everybody hear calls overrated. BFD.

Most of the same guys so concerned about the “brutal” schedule are the very guys complaining about our lack of marquee matchups and playing FCS teams.

Well, you can’t have both ways. I bet our players are excited about playing another big time nationally televised game. Our coach sure is or so he says.

Why is next year so much worse than any other year we’ve had one extra marquee matchup? Last I checked, we still play in the lowly ACC Coastal.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think perception may be distorted somewhat by playing the upgraded versions of Clemson and Uga every year. Clemson is arguably the best program in the country now and Uga is consistently in the top 5 to 8. The recent success of UCF in the last couple years does add on to perceived difficulty. And ND may be overrated but still a top 15 team. I don't know of anybody who has tougher sledding outside of their conference or division but like probably most here,too lazy to do the research. Hope someone cares enough to do it for me!;)

I like the Bobby Bowden approach to scheduling myself. I think ours is a schedule that gets you into the CFB picture without needing to be undefeated. (Not saying anything beyond what I typed here.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We can’t play Big Boy football and avoid the Big Boys. Get rid of the Gardener Webbs and add a Big 10/14, Big 12/10, or a Pac-12/12 game.

With Uga, UCF, Clemson and ND, I am ok with one. Again, next year's schedule, even with GW, gets you into the playoffs with one loss. As long as it's not to GW.:)

LibertyTurns

Banned
With Uga, UCF, Clemson and ND, I am ok with one. Again, next year's schedule, even with GW, gets you into the playoffs with one loss. As long as it's not to GW.:)
If Clemp had lost 1 game that would have been it for their chances. Playing in the ACC, zero losses gets you in. A single loss & we’d be buried behind half a dozen 2 loss teams from “harder” conferences.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If Clemp had lost 1 game that would have been it for their chances. Playing in the ACC, zero losses gets you in. A single loss & we’d be buried behind half a dozen 2 loss teams from “harder” conferences.
It’s not necessarily the ACC that provided those circumstances, it was just Clemson’s schedule this season. The ACC was waaayyy down this year, and their marquee regular season game was against an average Texas A&M team. Let’s not forget that Clemson won a national championship after losing to Pitt at home. Tech could lose to UCF (or insert any Coastal team) at home, but if they beat UGA, ND, and Clemson (presumably twice) they would be in the playoff, no question.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Clemson played T A & M, USCe, Wofford and Charlotte out of conference. I think we would receive a "wow" factor in public perception in beating them once (and losing once), Uga, ND and UCF that wasn't there on their schedule. A & M and USCe, along with the ACC outside of the Tigers, are considered pretty "meh" by the average fan.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
It’s not necessarily the ACC that provided those circumstances, it was just Clemson’s schedule this season. The ACC was waaayyy down this year, and their marquee regular season game was against an average Texas A&M team. Let’s not forget that Clemson won a national championship after losing to Pitt at home. Tech could lose to UCF (or insert any Coastal team) at home, but if they beat UGA, ND, and Clemson (presumably twice) they would be in the playoff, no question.
Well hopefully we dont have to play them twice. Maybe a team in the Atlantic finally decides to step it up and challenge them.... (talking to you Florida State)

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
We can’t play Big Boy football and avoid the Big Boys. Get rid of the Gardener Webbs and add a Big 10/14, Big 12/10, or a Pac-12/12 game.
Im good with it except no Pac schools... Those West Coast games dont get any attention nationally. They play so late on the East Coast that everybody is already passed out drunk from the day lol

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well hopefully we dont have to play them twice. Maybe a team in the Atlantic finally decides to step it up and challenge them.... (talking to you Florida State)

Of course, assuming Clemson doesn't digress from their current level in the near future, any team that takes control of their division is going to be a heavyweight as well. sort of like LSU taking over for Bama in the SEC West. Is that substainable for LSU? Remains to be seen,

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Of course, assuming Clemson doesn't digress from their current level in the near future, any team that takes control of their division is going to be a heavyweight as well. sort of like LSU taking over for Bama in the SEC West. Is that substainable for LSU? Remains to be seen,
Will definitely be interesting to watch what LSU does next. Their offense is gonna drop off significantly.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We play Clemson and Ugag every year, next season adds ND which everybody hear calls overrated. BFD.

Most of the same guys so concerned about the “brutal” schedule are the very guys complaining about our lack of marquee matchups and playing FCS teams.

Well, you can’t have both ways. I bet our players are excited about playing another big time nationally televised game. Our coach sure is or so he says.

Why is next year so much worse than any other year we’ve had one extra marquee matchup? Last I checked, we still play in the lowly ACC Coastal.
As a season ticket holder for 38 years , every year I hear how hard our schedule is going into the next year. Same dance and song year in year out. I guess it just makes people feel better. ( does get old just play the game)

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Must be pretty miserable that you measure your GT fanhood by attacks on what other Tech fans think about the program. Try cheering them on and supporting them verbally rather than putting the coaches, team and fans down so often.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't care about the schedule. I've always been an advocate of playing the best teams we can, especially historical SEC rivals like Auburn/Tennessee/Alabama/etc. If you want to put GT on the map, you don't do it by beating Middle Tennessee and Wofford.

CGC is an SEC guy. He knows the deal. All that matters, even above recruiting top 25 classes, is the wins. Recruiting well doesn't mean squat if you're not winning. UGA/Clemson/UCF/Notre Dame are all just opportunities for GT to put a trophy on the mantle. That's how we will get GT back in the conversation.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

You do know Clemson has made the playoffs with 1 loss right?

You are also aware that this was a down year for the conference and it’s likely to bounce back next year?

LibertyTurns

Banned
You do know Clemson has made the playoffs with 1 loss right?

You are also aware that this was a down year for the conference and it’s likely to bounce back next year?
Yes, but you think if Clemp had lost a game this year they’d have played in the playoffs? You’re kidding me right? They’d had been 5th behind the mutt.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow

Absolutely zero evidence to support this opinion. Tilting at windmills.