Next schedule brutal... whatever

LibertyTurns

Banned
Absolutely zero evidence to support this opinion. Tilting at windmills.
Yes it’s an opinion, but again you believe a 1 loss Clemp team with a recent history gets into the playoffs? Then you make the leap from there that a 1 loss GT team somehow jumps over all the blue bloods and gets a spot. Clemp was the lowest ranked zero loss team in the playoffs and that was not by accident.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Replace Temple with UCF and replace South Florida with Notre Dame and you have essentially our SOS for next year, a significant upgrade.

Replacing NC State with Syracuse out-of-division is a wash.

But if we can split our division games 3-3, beat Syracuse (winless this past year in the ACC) and get by Gardner-Webb, that's 5 wins. Find one more and we're in the Gasparilla Bowl or equivalent.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Well, you can’t have both ways. I bet our players are excited about playing another big time nationally televised game. Our coach sure is or so he says.

Why is next year so much worse than any other year we’ve had one extra marquee matchup? Last I checked, we still play in the lowly ACC Coastal.

Interesting topic that juxtaposes the costs and benefits of both an easy schedule and a harder schedule.

IMO it's logical Collins would be excited about the schedule for several reasons:

First is the excitement and exposure for the program. While ND isn't a perennial top 5 program like Clemson and Cesspool, it draws a major television audience and puts butts in the seats like those programs do. When you are building a program any opportunity to get your message out there is good. And we recruit many of the same guys ND does d/t good academics. Second, playing the best is a major selling point for recruits: if you come to GT you get to compete against the best competition to show both yourself and NFL scouts what you can do. And playing against the best will prepare you for the League. Third, you don't have to worry about strength of schedule/getting into the playoffs. Run the table and you're in. There are only so many programs that can say that.

Of course there are reasons a coach might want to play patsies. If you were on the hotseat you might want them to jack up your win total. Or if you are already an established contender with a reasonably tough schedule and need breaks to get healthy, rest some starters, and build more depth then you welcome the patsie-type games. Or if you need to build confidence/get reps against lesser competition to tune up, that's also a benefit. Of these though, the only one that really applies to GT is this last one.

With respect to your final question and comment regarding the ACC Coastal, I do feel it makes a big difference in SOS to add ND. First, is physical wear and tear. Nobody else in the Coastal plays Clemson, Cesspool, and ND. Those are very deep teams with size and a plethora of big, mature bodies that come after you in waves. Second, Clemmons is an ACC game and playing them each year makes a big difference relative to other teams. Third, the ACC Coastal isn't considered lowly because it has several cellar dwellars; the Coastal gets no respect because it has no marquee team and has a lot of parity between its schools. But who within our division is an easy "W"? Nobody. There are no breaks.

For me personally I think the positives of adding ND for a team in our position by far outweighs the negatives. And taking down one of these "Big 3" would be awesome!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
There’s not really a wrong answer to this, but there are two ways to do it. You either schedule wins and sell your record, or you schedule as many heavyweights as possible and sell that. Ultimately, I think scheduling cupcakes and collecting wins is the better strategy, with the idea being that kids want to play for a team that wins more, then slowly transfer over to introducing better teams. But that’s a fantasy since games are scheduled like a decade out.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes it’s an opinion, but again you believe a 1 loss Clemp team with a recent history gets into the playoffs? Then you make the leap from there that a 1 loss GT team somehow jumps over all the blue bloods and gets a spot. Clemp was the lowest ranked zero loss team in the playoffs and that was not by accident.

Yes. There is zero evidence to support a one-loss P5 team being passed by a 2 loss team. Where Clemson was ranked is meaningless. Three teams were unbeaten. They were one of the three. If they would have had a loss this year they would have still made it in over UGA, especially given their results over common opponent USC. To suggest otherwise is victimhood conspiracy freakoutery.

The ACC had a rough year in 2019. Yet, in 2014 we had three losses and somehow we rose two spots in the rankings after losing in the ACCCG...and then as the highest-ranked team with three losses above all the "blue bloods".

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yes. There is zero evidence to support a one-loss P5 team being passed by a 2 loss team. Where Clemson was ranked is meaningless. Three teams were unbeaten. They were one of the three. If they would have had a loss this year they would have still made it in over UGA, especially given their results over common opponent USC. To suggest otherwise is victimhood conspiracy freakoutery.

The ACC had a rough year in 2019. Yet, in 2014 we had three losses and somehow we rose two spots in the rankings after losing in the ACCCG...and then as the highest-ranked team with three losses above all the "blue bloods".
You’re right. All college football fans bow down to the ACC’s massive superiority!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We benefit with the tougher schedule as we are seen as rebuilding, but only if we dont look terrible like we have for last 3 years.

We need to stop being bad and begin to show lots of "not bad" flashes and some "wow they could be good" flashes. Going to take time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Replace Temple with UCF and replace South Florida with Notre Dame and you have essentially our SOS for next year, a significant upgrade.

Replacing NC State with Syracuse out-of-division is a wash.

But if we can split our division games 3-3, beat Syracuse (winless this past year in the ACC) and get by Gardner-Webb, that's 5 wins. Find one more and we're in the Gasparilla Bowl or equivalent.
Syracuse beat Duke (away) and Wake (home) in 2019. They'd have been favored over us at their place. Not sure why that'd be different next year, until one team proves otherwise. Still close enough to a coin flip type of game.

Also, they sell beer at the Carrier Dome :)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse beat Duke (away) and Wake (home) in 2019. They'd have been favored over us at their place. Not sure why that'd be different next year, until one team proves otherwise. Still close enough to a coin flip type of game.

Also, they sell beer at the Carrier Dome :)

Yeah, upon further review I see they turned it around somewhat and won a couple of conference games late in the season - beat the slop out of Duke. Probably will be tougher to win @ 'Cuse than it was to beat NC State at home, so that's another upgrade in schedule. We'll have to make a major step forward in 2020 to have a shot at even a minor bowl, but I think we'll have a chance to do that. Especially looking forward to having transfer help on OL and DL, as well as getting Cooper back healthy.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
As a season ticket holder for 38 years , every year I hear how hard our schedule is going into the next year. Same dance and song year in year out. I guess it just makes people feel better. ( does get old just play the game)
Dude. Everyone on here know you’re a season ticket holder for 38 years. Just put it in your signature or something so you don’t have to preface every one of your posts.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Need to be able to Coach "the boys up" and be able to win six games or Coach Collins will have to make changes to the Coaching staff!!! No more excuses!!!

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I still believe the bar should be no lower than 6 wins. Another year to implement the CGC system. OL back healthy. Transfers. And possibly a surprise from a freshman QB. There are 7 home games. The wins should be:

Garner_Webb
UCF (at Home)
Duke (at Home)
UVa (At Home)
Pitt
Syracuse

Other possible upsets:

Miami (at Home)
UNC
Va Tech

(This is the ACC Coastal for crying out loud)

Heck, there could be an upset of Notre Dame.

And if CPJ were here, an upset in Athens.

Maybe I just don't want to believe Tech has fallen so far after last year that some upsets are not possible. I know I have my gold colored glasses on right now, but not to have enough faith in the team and staff in the off season to find 6 wins next season seems to apologetic to me. The coaches need to do their job this off season, coach the kids up, and put some wins together next season. I know I will be disappointed if the team looks as bad this coming year as they did last year, even though I don't fault team effort.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I still believe the bar should be no lower than 6 wins. Another year to implement the CGC system. OL back healthy. Transfers. And possibly a surprise from a freshman QB. There are 7 home games. The wins should be:

Garner_Webb
UCF (at Home)
Duke (at Home)
UVa (At Home)
Pitt
Syracuse

Other possible upsets:

Miami (at Home)
UNC
Va Tech

(This is the ACC Coastal for crying out loud)

Heck, there could be an upset of Notre Dame.

And if CPJ were here, an upset in Athens.

Maybe I just don't want to believe Tech has fallen so far after last year that some upsets are not possible. I know I have my gold colored glasses on right now, but not to have enough faith in the team and staff in the off season to find 6 wins next season seems to apologetic to me. The coaches need to do their job this off season, coach the kids up, and put some wins together next season. I know I will be disappointed if the team looks as bad this coming year as they did last year, even though I don't fault team effort.

I don’t see how we’re going to win that many games until we build an OL and find a capable QB that can run our system effectively. We’re probably two years away from being a Winning team

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but you think if Clemp had lost a game this year they’d have played in the playoffs? You’re kidding me right? They’d had been 5th behind the mutt.

Look at Clemson’s 2019 schedule and GTs 2020 schedule and let us know if you still can’t see the difference. With UVAs loss in the bowl game, Clemson won’t have a single regular season win against a team ranked in the final poll. If we only lost one game in 2020 we’d likely have 4 or 5.