Next RB coach for GT?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kerry Dixon has coached RBs before. It’s possible that we could move him over and hire a new WRs coach instead. I guess it depends on which position is easier to fill.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I said this in another thread, but what about David Sims? He seems to be moving up like Choice.
I have no idea how good of a coach he is or if he's qualified, but I'm pretty sure Collins wouldn't choose to hire someone from the Paul Johnson era as he's done everything possible to distance himself from it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
In the grand scheme of things, RB coach would be right above the get back guy. Teach them the plays, fundamentals, and to not fumble. The rest is up to them. It’s not like the wing T or a more complicated offense.
This is hilarious. Not sure if trying to be funny or not.

My guess is teaching RBs in the wing T or PJ’s offense is easier than what we currently run.

To use your simplistic view, all the bback has to learn is go right or left and don’t fumble. The aback only needs to learn how to run a semi circle and which ankle to dive at when blocking on the edge. (See how dumb that sounds).

If you listened to Choice at all in press conferences you would’ve heard him harp on pass protection a lot which is something you glossed over. There’s a lot position coaches teach that the average fan has no clue about.

Maybe you were being sarcastic though.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering if Long had a RB Coach up his sleeve that he intends to call upon to fill the vacancy. Perhaps it’s a RB who is coaching in a bowl game or on a playoff team and after tomorrow there’s no immediate rush to announce the hire and be a distraction to the team the coach is currently employed on. Dreaming or could this be a realistic scenario?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like very few people on here have any idea of what the names are on the short list for filling the RB coach position. Perhaps we will know shortly or the current coaches must feel like the current RB are very committed/comfortable knowing that Collins and Long have a plan?
Dorsey Levens

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
How did that affect our football program long term? short term?
Most likely cost us a win over FSU, short term. Long term, had we defeated FSU on the original date of the game, it’s certainly quite likely Joe Ham would have won the Heisman and we would have been in the MNC discussion. That would have raised the profile of the program resulting in subsequent attendance and donations improvements.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most likely cost us a win over FSU, short term. Long term, had we defeated FSU on the original date of the game, it’s certainly quite likely Joe Ham would have won the Heisman and we would have been in the MNC discussion. That would have raised the profile of the program resulting in subsequent attendance and donations improvements.
Joe was gone in 2001. It was Godsey's 2nd year.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kerry Dixon has coached RBs before. It’s possible that we could move him over and hire a new WRs coach instead. I guess it depends on which position is easier to fill.
On this note, I really would like to see us bring in a QB coach and not have Long coach QB's. I wouldn't mind some shuffling of coaches around.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We would never have beaten FSU and in 2001 it was Godsey. The problem was always that the refs let FSU hit Lil' Joe often and often late. He was so beat up he could hardly walk. Today, half of the defense would have been disqualified from those games based on current rules. But, now that you bring it up, it does bring back memories of games getting moved around and that being to our detriment.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
We would never have beaten FSU and in 2001 it was Godsey. The problem was always that the refs let FSU hit Lil' Joe often and often late. He was so beat up he could hardly walk. Today, half of the defense would have been disqualified from those games based on current rules. But, now that you bring it up, it does bring back memories of games getting moved around and that being to our detriment.
You're crazy thinking GT "would never have beaten FSU". GT was 3-0, just steamrolled Navy 70-7 and then 9/11 happened.
GT ended up having 3 weeks without a game and it essentially screwed up any momentum they had.
9/11 negatively impacted GT, more than any other team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering if Long had a RB Coach up his sleeve that he intends to call upon to fill the vacancy. Perhaps it’s a RB who is coaching in a bowl game or on a playoff team and after tomorrow there’s no immediate rush to announce the hire and be a distraction to the team the coach is currently employed on. Dreaming or could this be a realistic scenario?
Perfectly reasonable.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You're crazy thinking GT "would never have beaten FSU". GT was 3-0, just steamrolled Navy 70-7 and then 9/11 happened.
GT ended up having 3 weeks without a game and it essentially screwed up any momentum they had.
9/11 negatively impacted GT, more than any other team.
Nothing you’ve posted changes my opinion. Steamrolling Navy was “so what.”

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s too bad. The polls had a different “opinion”.
What were we ranked preseason in 2015? Right. What was USC ranked in 2012? What were they ranked after we beat them in the Sun Bowl? Preseason polls...they're so often right. You have to come with something WAY better than that because that doesn't even budge the needle.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
See my response above.
FSU was not a good team early that season and was entering that game after upsetting UF, while Tech was going into that game after a disappointing loss to UG which ended Tech"s 3 win streak in the series. So, Tech was on a roll early and FSU had the momentum late in the year. So, the intangibles of the game from when it should've been played versus when it was finally played switched in favor of FSU.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
FSU was not a good team early that season and was entering that game after upsetting UF, while Tech was going into that game after a disappointing loss to UG which ended Tech"s 3 win streak in the series. So, Tech was on a roll early and FSU had the momentum late in the year. So, the intangibles of the game from when it should've been played versus when it was finally played switched in favor of FSU.
I understand all of this. We probably had our best chance to beat them since the Rise of Charlie Ward. However, we hadn't beaten them, with all the good teams we had. Until we actually beat them, we can't say that we "would have" with any sincerity. The bottom line is we were jinxed against FSU and when we played them, they beat us. Every time.

I don't want to argue this anymore. This isn't positive and I want to focus on the positive.