Next RB coach for GT?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Wonder who Stansbury, Collins, and Long are going to pursue for the recently open RB coaching position? Who are some of the connections that Long or Collins have who would be intrigued by the opportunity to have the position? We’ve gone from having a deep and talented RB room to having 1 scholarship player (from what I understand) in D. Smith and a recent commitment of Felix and Martin for ‘22 class. Anyone got some names out there. Not only was Choice a GT player/alum, former NFL player, and an incredible recruiter. Those type coaches are not exactly a dime a dozen and willing to come into a situation where 3-9 (3 years straight) and a HC who’s head is potentially on the chopping block if there’s not a decent amount of tangible improvement. Hopefully for our sake we find a great fit!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder who Stansbury, Collins, and Long are going to pursue for the recently open RB coaching position? Who are some of the connections that Long or Collins have who would be intrigued by the opportunity to have the position? We’ve gone from having a deep and talented RB room to having 1 scholarship player (from what I understand) in D. Smith and a recent commitment of Felix and Martin for ‘22 class. Anyone got some names out there. Not only was Choice a GT player/alum, former NFL player, and an incredible recruiter. Those type coaches are not exactly a dime a dozen and willing to come into a situation where 3-9 (3 years straight) and a HC who’s head is potentially on the chopping block if there’s not a decent amount of tangible improvement. Hopefully for our sake we find a great fit!
Roddy Jones?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Roddy has been pretty transparent with his commentary while covering the games from time to time and it seems that he’s not been overly impressed with the product on the field most of the time.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Looks like very few people on here have any idea of what the names are on the short list for filling the RB coach position. Perhaps we will know shortly or the current coaches must feel like the current RB are very committed/comfortable knowing that Collins and Long have a plan?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Get a smart, young one that is training for QB/OC future, like Billy O did under the Fridge. Did that hurt Billy O's future? IMO Billy O had a really good head on his shoulders. Think it was a real shame Chan could not adjust himself to keep BOB around. Chan might have kept his GT job many more years.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Get a smart, young one that is training for QB/OC future, like Billy O did under the Fridge. Did that hurt Billy O's future? IMO Billy O had a really good head on his shoulders. Think it was a real shame Chan could not adjust himself to keep BOB around. Chan might have kept his GT job many more years.
Just asking..sure BOb made it to the NFL but what in his career ever gave you or anyone in a hiring position that he was particularly good at coaching. First off, did we do anything while he was here? I lost track of him after he left here until his name shows up in Texas. Plus, he didn't do much there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just asking..sure BOb made it to the NFL but what in his career ever gave you or anyone in a hiring position that he was particularly good at coaching. First off, did we do anything while he was here? I lost track of him after he left here until his name shows up in Texas. Plus, he didn't do much there.
There was a precipitous drop the year after Friedgen left before O'Leary tried to go to ND. At least that's how I remember it. We came back down to Earth.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Your RB coach is usually the ONE coach you’d like to have ties to your program. Reason Dabo went and got CJ Spiller. Choice was the best possible coach we could’ve had. I’d like a guy with Georgia/Flordia ties, we shouldn’t have to go far for RB recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There was a precipitous drop the year after Friedgen left before O'Leary tried to go to ND. At least that's how I remember it. We came back down to Earth.

FWIW, O'Brien was the OC for George Godsey's senior season in 2001:

In 2001 as a senior, he completed 241 passes for 3,085 yards, both of which are school records.

OFEI doesn't go that far back, so I can't really reference Friedgen vs post-Friedgen. You can also make the argument that O'Brien probably borrowed heavily from Friedgen's already installed playbook just to keep the transition easier on the players. That's just a guess since O'Brien coached under Friedgen for 3 years and probably didn't have his own playbook fully developed.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Your RB coach is usually the ONE coach you’d like to have ties to your program. Reason Dabo went and got CJ Spiller. Choice was the best possible coach we could’ve had. I’d like a guy with Georgia/Flordia ties, we shouldn’t have to go far for RB recruits.
I feel like you feel this to be true

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Roddy has been pretty transparent with his commentary while covering the games from time to time and it seems that he’s not been overly impressed with the product on the field most of the time.
I heard Roddy this afternoon on ACC Today. They were talking about traditional rivalries in both basketball and football, and when asked about UGA -GA Tech in football, Roddy said (I’m paraphrasing), “It’s not a rivalry of equals. It’s more of a big brother/little brother sort of thing.” And then later, he said, “GA Tech is a bad team.” So, yeah, he’s not impressed.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
well could always go back to the same place.

Mean green had the 3rd ranked rushing offense in college football this year. Cobbs played all most as many season in the NFL as choice. The only issue is he may not want to jump to a sinking ship and he played at UNT so he's at home right now.

second candidate

Dan ellignton played QB for state and had 2 800 yard running backs this year, the State rushing game is pretty much the only reason they made a bowl game. He knows atlanta. And might be willign to take a shot on a year. State also runs a similiar offense to what chip long wants to do. He's more unproven but honestly might not be a bad call.