Next DC

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Stanford, Duke, UVa, etc. are hard to get into, easy to stay there once you are admitted.

GT is hard to get into, hard to stay in school.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Tulane,Vanderbilt,Rice and Northwestern are also in that extremely difficult to get into category.;) I think if I had the money to get in those schools i'd rather go to Cornell,Brown or Dartmouth for pretty much the same money.....................................just sayin';)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What I'm seeing/hearing from various sources. No special inside information. Just a compilation of what's out there:

Nate Woody: He's preparing to leave App State. GT has an offer on the table to him. Offer is going through legal and HR vetting before it can be official. However, Woody has a history of passing up offers to stay put in a good situation. In 30 years of coaching he's only coached at Wofford and App State, and not due to lack of other opportunities. He's got a good thing going at App State (for example, the shut out of Toledo in the bowl game.) Wake and Miss St both went after Woody last year. Houston reportedly had some interest as well. He stayed at App State. Also, the HC position at his alma mater, Wofford, just opened with the retirement announcement of Woody's mentor, Mike Ayers, two weeks ago. Woody spent 22 years at Wofford under Ayers. Ayers, CPJ and Woody go way back, having coached against each other in the Southern Conference going back to the 80's.

Charles Kelly: GT is interested in bringing Kelly back as the 10th assistant. (Or looking at him as a DC candidate if Woody declines.) Kelly has interviewed with Colorado State, but Mike Bobo has interviewed at least 6 candidates and hasn't found the "right fit". Bobo has said he's taking his time. Implied he wanted to see who becomes available in the coaching turnover after early signing day. Possible rub here, CSU's outgoing DC made $230k last year, Kelly made $830k at FSU. Kelly may want to stay in the Southeast, where he has connections. Presumably, his goal is to get back on track to be a P5 head coach someday.

Andy McCollum is likely to get a raise, maybe a paper promotion (new title). Haven't heard anything substantial that he's in consideration for DC, just pure speculation.

[Speculation on my part: Woody made $223k at App State. I'm assuming he'd get a big raise coming to Tech. But probably not close to the $800k level CTR made. Might be enough extra $$ there for GT to raise CAM and out-bid CSU to bring Kelly in; as something like an associate head coach, defensive assistant, recruiter. Help mentor Woody on P5 level recruiting until Kelly gets a better offer to be a DC somewhere.]

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Got him I believe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171227-151438.png
    Screenshot_20171227-151438.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 318

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think for this to work Coach Woody really has to have final say on the rest of the defensive coaching staff. I don't know what kind of experience Pelton has with this type of scheme as he's always coached a 4 man line I believe so we may have to go in a different direction. Coach Woody seems like he has split OLB and ILB into two position coaches (he has coached each at one point or another) so I'm guessing we add a LB coach to take over one of those positions as well.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
was it really that hard for paul to get a woody that it took him 5 days? heh

i was just getting ready to assume that we were also looking at d personnel from bowl teams but if johnson got his woody its a moot point.