New regime goal posts

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I was reading these comments last night at the Orange Bowl and poor signal kept me from getting in the discussion last night. For those that say we have poor talent/dumpster fire, we won 7 games with that talent. If you say this is only 4 or 5 win talent next year, then you are saying CPJ is a great coach and is worth 2 or 3 wins a season? Reading some of the post, I can clearly see that some will not say CPJ was a great coach. Next years schedule doesn’t change that much there are only three games that are different. But let’s break the schedule down to just our conference games. We were 5-3 and we should be at least .500 next year. The way some of y’all are talking we are only winning between 1-3 conference games. If we miss back to back bowl games, that seat will be very hot year three.

We get UVA at Charlotesville. Whats our record there?
We get UGA at their defacto home stadium. When did we last win at home? Much less against a playoff caliber team?
We get clemson in South Carolina. See above.
We flip Bowling Green with a temple team on the road with a vendetta.
We flip a bottom 10 Louisville team with a ~ 10 win NC State team
That alone is a huge flip in schedule. We do get Pitt and USF at home, but we also get Miami and Duke on the road.
There's a reason since the clemson-UGA alternating schedule flip we haven't had an 8 win season on odd years.

We played 5 teams with defeneses with their ratings in triple digits this year. Next year we will play 3. We couldn't win the weakest division in college football on an off year. .500 is a reasonable expectation. Not the 8-9 win seasons or ill be dissapointed some are saying.
Roster will be depleted due to graduation. I posted above about statistical historical success based on teams who graduate XYZ players. Argue all you want about recruiting, but inheriting a 5th-6th best class every year in the coastal prior to his arrival gives Collins a step down from what CPJ inherited. We're about to go back to back years without someone getting drafted in the NFL, which happened last at GT when there were 22 fewer ****ing teams in the NFL. Ten ****ing teams in the NFL was the last time that happened. It isn't as much an indictment on GT as much as it is everyone else moving forward.
There still is potential to be great, but its naive to look at whats currently there and expecting them to borderline win the coastal.
CPJ turned Gailey's dissapointing results into what people were expecting from that level of NFL talent, he just wasn't able to replicate it wihtout getting the talent he needed. He only had 1 more draft pick so far from his 11 recruiting classes than the 2008 roster he inherited.
I don't measure success as NFL draft picks. And 4 years discounts a whole lot of redshirts.
lol redshirt means ya don't play your freshman year which means they didn't see the field. No one on next years roster will have played in the orange bowl. So why use it when looking at the current team? People who red shirted in 2015 will still be on it.
Strength of roster is measured by strength of individual players who can change teams. See Tebow at Florida. Great players make the NFL and can carry teams. See Lamar at Louisville. good players make the NFL, and good college coaches get good players. Its a pretty good way to look at how good a roster was in hindsight.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I don’t get the instinct to trash our current players as if we are the worst team in the conference (and if you’re using the bowl game example, what about Miami or ND or any of the other bowl teams that got thrashed for whatever reason?). We have good players recruited toward a specific scheme, but they are still football players who played in different systems up til GT anyway. It’ll be “fun” watching these posters turn around and praise the same guys they’re trashing when some of them break out in the new scheme.
Also, I have yet to hear a solid answer from these guys about whether they’ll consider a 6-8 win season a huge success by Collins or a sign that we weren’t really as bad as they’re claiming.
6 wins would be succesful.
You can give praise to old teams without trashing existing ones.
Graduation is the biggest difference between last years team and the next one. Losing basically the entirety of the front 7 will hurt due to lack of experience. Same thing happened with the backfield last year. They will be better next year, but graduating a ton of players almost always results in a step back. Lousville is a prime example from last year to this one, losing 9 people on defense. And they finished with one of the 5 worst defenses.
Players arent being trashed, the scheme is. People can think new schemes that people want to play can bring in great players, while still having good players. Wanting to be better doesn't have to imply being bad. It just suggests things can be better.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I am on team struggle bus next season, and would be surprised if we do well next year.
Fact of the matter is that returning starters, schedule, and recruiting rankings are some of the better no-games-involved prediction indicators out there.

Paul Johnson inherited a 2008 team that sent 9 people to the NFL. His recruiting classes sent 10 people in the 8 years after, and with no one projected to get picked this year, it will make it 10 in 10 years. Which is... not good. or in simpler terms, the talent that CPJ inherited in 2008 is roughly the same as the all-star team that Paul Johnson got in his following 8 years at Georgia Tech. This isnt a slight on the current team, but speaks volume about the teams that went 9-4, 7-5, 9-4, and 11-3 that 4 year stretch that sandwiches both coaches tenures. One of the best 4 year stretches in GT history. that speaks wonders to both his coaching ability and Gaileys coaching ability IMO. But it is definitely important in showing that
1. There is potential to recruit better.
2. Paul was an excellent gameday coach
3. Paul Johnson is inherited a roster that was one of the best in GT history, as far as # of NFL draft picks go with the exception of the 2006-2009 window, which sent 11 people to the league. (2005-2008 seasons had 1 more draft pick).
4. Geoff Collins is inheriting a team that had seniors live through a losing record while they were here, and have had 1 draft pick in the last 3 years. That's..... bad.

So he's inheriting a worse roster than his previous predecessor. Which moves on to schedule.

Whats changed since the beginning of Paul's tenure?
Same games we have every year is always the best place to look.
Pitt replaced maryland, and they are a better team
Duke is infinitely better
UNC is about the same
UVA is way better
VT is way worse
Jury is out on miami
Clemson is unstoppable
UGA is unstoppable

So 6/8 opponents we play annually are in way better shape in 2018 then they were in 2008. Adding Notre Dame , who is in better shape as well compared to a G5 team we would schedule instead also makes things interesting with their partial membership in the ACC. Schedule is harder. 2020 especially.

And finally, returning starters.

I argued with countless people last summer about the fact that Syracuse was going to have a great team after underachieving last year and returning a ton of starters on both sides of the ball. Looks like I was right. Also argued about returning snaps in the defensive backfield being one of the highest indicators of success for college football. With a 119th rated pass defense, it looks like having good recruits that weren't good enough to start means graduating people will usually leave a team in worse shape. Whodathunk? Apparently not many people here tbh. Graduating 8 people on defense will hurt.
The average team that returned just 3 starters on defense had an efficiency that was 6% worse than the previous year, and only 1/7 teams that had that many starters lost came back with a better defense than the previous year. Bump it up to 4 returning starters and 4/12 improved at -4% change in YTY efficiency.

The defense struggled last year and will get better in the backfield, but losing basically the entirety of the front 7 will hurt.
Returning 6 starters on offense usually results in a 1% increase in efficiency on average, and 9/18 teams that returned 6 starters last year had a more efficient offense the next year.

So lets look at who is returning on offense:
Only lose 1 of the OL. Which is good, but its a tackle. Part of the success of Oliver this year was his ability to be a downhill runner, which was using out Strong GCG to his advantadge. TQM is a wide runner, which our weakness at tackles (relatively speaking) wasn't playing into his favor. Having a strong GCG will help downhill running, and especially the B block running through A gap reads (and potentially zone reads in a RPO style offense).
However, with the new rules in college football (and the NFL really) being more friendly to passing style offenses, tackles are WAY more important. As seen in the blindside, having a good LT outweighs a good GCG combo in most modern offenses. This will be the toughest transition for GT. Its been our weakness, and will need to be fixed. CPJ had one tackle make it to the NFL (who he inherited).
The position transition is a horse beaten to death a second time.

I don't really care bout results until 2021. It will be tough. There's a lot of potential on the roster, but year 1 will lose way too much production on both sides of the ball and year 2's schedule is a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Year three should be interesting and can make some noise.

In short:
Paul Johnson blew everyone out of the water with the roster Gailey horrifically under performed with. Since then, the overall Talent on the roster has decreased, and the competition in conference has gotten tougher, which puts CGC in a far worse situation that what CPJ has inherited. Add to having to install a 3rd scheme in 3 years on D and losing 8 starters, and the next few years will potentially be very rough.

Excellent analysis. I just hope CGC and his new staff coach up, recruit a few studs early, and get some breaks along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am on team struggle bus next season, and would be surprised if we do well next year.
Fact of the matter is that returning starters, schedule, and recruiting rankings are some of the better no-games-involved prediction indicators out there.

Paul Johnson inherited a 2008 team that sent 9 people to the NFL. His recruiting classes sent 10 people in the 8 years after, and with no one projected to get picked this year, it will make it 10 in 10 years. Which is... not good. or in simpler terms, the talent that CPJ inherited in 2008 is roughly the same as the all-star team that Paul Johnson got in his following 8 years at Georgia Tech. This isnt a slight on the current team, but speaks volume about the teams that went 9-4, 7-5, 9-4, and 11-3 that 4 year stretch that sandwiches both coaches tenures. One of the best 4 year stretches in GT history. that speaks wonders to both his coaching ability and Gaileys coaching ability IMO. But it is definitely important in showing that
1. There is potential to recruit better.
2. Paul was an excellent gameday coach
3. Paul Johnson is inherited a roster that was one of the best in GT history, as far as # of NFL draft picks go with the exception of the 2006-2009 window, which sent 11 people to the league. (2005-2008 seasons had 1 more draft pick).
4. Geoff Collins is inheriting a team that had seniors live through a losing record while they were here, and have had 1 draft pick in the last 3 years. That's..... bad.

So he's inheriting a worse roster than his previous predecessor. Which moves on to schedule.

Whats changed since the beginning of Paul's tenure?
Same games we have every year is always the best place to look.
Pitt replaced maryland, and they are a better team
Duke is infinitely better
UNC is about the same
UVA is way better
VT is way worse
Jury is out on miami
Clemson is unstoppable
UGA is unstoppable

So 6/8 opponents we play annually are in way better shape in 2018 then they were in 2008. Adding Notre Dame , who is in better shape as well compared to a G5 team we would schedule instead also makes things interesting with their partial membership in the ACC. Schedule is harder. 2020 especially.

And finally, returning starters.

I argued with countless people last summer about the fact that Syracuse was going to have a great team after underachieving last year and returning a ton of starters on both sides of the ball. Looks like I was right. Also argued about returning snaps in the defensive backfield being one of the highest indicators of success for college football. With a 119th rated pass defense, it looks like having good recruits that weren't good enough to start means graduating people will usually leave a team in worse shape. Whodathunk? Apparently not many people here tbh. Graduating 8 people on defense will hurt.
The average team that returned just 3 starters on defense had an efficiency that was 6% worse than the previous year, and only 1/7 teams that had that many starters lost came back with a better defense than the previous year. Bump it up to 4 returning starters and 4/12 improved at -4% change in YTY efficiency.

The defense struggled last year and will get better in the backfield, but losing basically the entirety of the front 7 will hurt.
Returning 6 starters on offense usually results in a 1% increase in efficiency on average, and 9/18 teams that returned 6 starters last year had a more efficient offense the next year.

So lets look at who is returning on offense:
Only lose 1 of the OL. Which is good, but its a tackle. Part of the success of Oliver this year was his ability to be a downhill runner, which was using out Strong GCG to his advantadge. TQM is a wide runner, which our weakness at tackles (relatively speaking) wasn't playing into his favor. Having a strong GCG will help downhill running, and especially the B block running through A gap reads (and potentially zone reads in a RPO style offense).
However, with the new rules in college football (and the NFL really) being more friendly to passing style offenses, tackles are WAY more important. As seen in the blindside, having a good LT outweighs a good GCG combo in most modern offenses. This will be the toughest transition for GT. Its been our weakness, and will need to be fixed. CPJ had one tackle make it to the NFL (who he inherited).
The position transition is a horse beaten to death a second time.

I don't really care bout results until 2021. It will be tough. There's a lot of potential on the roster, but year 1 will lose way too much production on both sides of the ball and year 2's schedule is a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Year three should be interesting and can make some noise.

In short:
Paul Johnson blew everyone out of the water with the roster Gailey horrifically under performed with. Since then, the overall Talent on the roster has decreased, and the competition in conference has gotten tougher, which puts CGC in a far worse situation that what CPJ has inherited. Add to having to install a 3rd scheme in 3 years on D and losing 8 starters, and the next few years will potentially be very rough.
I like this content rich reasoned presentation..
We get UGA at their defacto home stadium. When did we last win at home? Much less against a playoff caliber team?
That alone is a huge flip in schedule. We do get Pitt and USF at home, but we also get Miami and Duke on the road.
There's a reason since the clemson-UGA alternating schedule flip we haven't had an 8 win season on odd years.

We played 5 teams with defeneses with their ratings in triple digits this year. Next year we will play 3. We couldn't win the weakest division in college football on an off year. .500 is a reasonable expectation. Not the 8-9 win seasons or ill be dissapointed some are saying.
Roster will be depleted due to graduation. I posted above about statistical historical success based on teams who graduate XYZ players. Argue all you want about recruiting, but inheriting a 5th-6th best class every year in the coastal prior to his arrival gives Collins a step down from what CPJ inherited. We're about to go back to back years without someone getting drafted in the NFL, which happened last at GT when there were 22 fewer ****ing teams in the NFL. Ten ****ing teams in the NFL was the last time that happened. It isn't as much an indictment on GT as much as it is everyone else moving forward.
There still is potential to be great, but its naive to look at whats currently there and expecting them to borderline win the coastal.
CPJ turned Gailey's dissapointing results into what people were expecting from that level of NFL talent, he just wasn't able to replicate it wihtout getting the talent he needed. He only had 1 more draft pick so far from his 11 recruiting classes than the 2008 roster he inherited.

lol redshirt means ya don't play your freshman year which means they didn't see the field. No one on next years roster will have played in the orange bowl. So why use it when looking at the current team? People who red shirted in 2015 will still be on it.
Strength of roster is measured by strength of individual players who can change teams. See Tebow at Florida. Great players make the NFL and can carry teams. See Lamar at Louisville. good players make the NFL, and good college coaches get good players. Its a pretty good way to look at how good a roster was in hindsight.
Thank u again for your thoughtful content.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I don’t get the instinct to trash our current players as if we are the worst team in the conference (and if you’re using the bowl game example, what about Miami or ND or any of the other bowl teams that got thrashed for whatever reason?). We have good players recruited toward a specific scheme, but they are still football players who played in different systems up til GT anyway. It’ll be “fun” watching these posters turn around and praise the same guys they’re trashing when some of them break out in the new scheme.
Also, I have yet to hear a solid answer from these guys about whether they’ll consider a 6-8 win season a huge success by Collins or a sign that we weren’t really as bad as they’re claiming.
And if we go 4-5 wins will it be the opposite - collins cant coach/ the players were bad.?
The players and coaches know they let am
Quality 18 slip out of their hands. So close to being great.
I accept that Coach is primary cause of gt changing schemes on offense and defense in 19.

The defense will be an adventure.
LetsGet on board and hope an ATTACKING defense scheme shocks our opponents while the offense comes around by end of year. Last 3 acc games mean way more than first 3.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to weigh in, I believe we win 7 for sure, outside chance for 8 regular season games with a bowl win for 9 total. I'm on the GC express train!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If Collins wants the recruiting engine humming along, I think his goal is at least to go bowling in year one.

The year after is a harsh schedule, but with a good first year, I think he can recruit to a good (bowling at least) second year. In the second year, that means knocking down VT, UVA, Duke, and the beatable division opponents.

I don’t know about Clemson, but what I’ve always heard about Saban and Meyer is that the time with the coaches is unbelievably efficient. You have to be perfect and engaged, or you repeat and start over. Collins has a reputation as a fun coach, but I’d like to hear how effective the process is too. That’s one of my goalposts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your point about wins and recruiting is very good. Most expect CGC will recruit lights out better than the prior staff. If we win less than 7 games he will have a tougher hill to climb on that score.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh boy. We are already getting into the personal attacks on this thread. Poor mods that have to deal with us.

In reality, personally I think we were successful due to the scheme and think we will struggle without it. But to be honest, We can’t really say for sure without knowing all the pieces in place. We have heard rumors of the rest of the staff, rumors of the type of offense/defense we will run, and rumors of who will stay and who will leave.

Speculation is all fun and grand, but at the end of the day, our expectations can’t be truly set until we understand all the pieces involved.

Our forum has been bickering this entire month and i’m just sick of it. Let’s all just take a step back and just wait a few weeks and see what happens. We can reevaluate around national signing day part two and during spring practice.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

You can be great in college and never pan out in the NFL. Lil Joe, JT, Smelter (sometimes injuries play a part).

So I don’t measure how good someone was in college that doesn’t make the NFL. I would agree though that if one didn’t make all conf but shined in the NFL...something held them back in college. How rare is that in comparison though?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
After watching a lot of bowl games that all seem to run some version of a spread I believe the success of those offenses are really really dependent on the QB. That said I realize that is true of any O but that O requires passing skills we haven't seen at GT in several years. I could see why a grad transfer with known passing skills would be very tempting for our new coach. He has no idea how good our guys are. There isn't a whole lot of game film for any of them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You can be great in college and never pan out in the NFL. Lil Joe, JT, Smelter (sometimes injuries play a part).

So I don’t measure how good someone was in college that doesn’t make the NFL. I would agree though that if one didn’t make all conf but shined in the NFL...something held them back in college. How rare is that in comparison though?

Different sport, but Bobby Hurley is probably the best example all time of this. While in college, most commentators said he was one of if not the best guard ever in college. The same commentators said that he would make a great coach, but gave him little chance of being a good guard in the NBA.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Yes the "they are still football players" really handles the problem of guys spending years and years being taught for a completely different system. But because they are football players our WRs will suddenly be able to get separation and have chemistry with our new QB who will have very little, if any, experience at the college level and none in the current offense, all behind an OL who was terrible in pass protection, but we all know that just switching to a two point stance will cure that ail (I can't believe Johnson never thought of that...) .

The fact is that some players will thrive. Some will utterly fail. And many will be somewhere inbetween. But outside of RB we have a ? at literally every position on offense and the odds simply aren't in our favor in that situation. It isn't a huge deal if a WR and slot turn out great if our OL can't block worth a damn or we don't have a QB that can go through progressions or make the throws. In 2008 we had Dwyer, Thomas, and Nesbitt and even then we didn't really put it together until the 11th game of the year. Some players will thrive, but that doesn't mean there won't be huge holes in the offense that significantly hurt next year regardless.

As far as the question to the 6-8 wins thing, I thought the answer obvious. Yes, if we manage to win the same amount of games while completely overhauling both sides of the ball then it is a huge success by Collins the same way Pastner going to the NIT in year 1 was a huge success for him. Now let me guess, "something something something accepting mediocrity while ignoring that winning 7 in year one under a transition is very different than in year 11 something something something".

Animal02

Banned

NFLNFLNFL.....you want a factory, there are several teams around you can cheer for.
I think it is comical that all these whiners are setting the bar so low when Tech has finished above where they would have expected to be based on their financial commitment to football.
What are they afraid of. The messiah hire might not be what they have claimed:rolleyes:

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
NFLNFLNFL.....you want a factory, there are several teams around you can cheer for.
I think it is comical that all these whiners are setting the bar so low when Tech has finished above where they would have expected to be based on their financial commitment to football.
What are they afraid of. The messiah hire might not be what they have claimed:rolleyes:
2014 team sent 7 people to the NFL. Fact is you can look at any good team GT has had, look at how many people made it to the NFl from it. There is a stupid high correlation. Just look at the draft picks from when Dodd was here

you can Be good in college and not make the NFL yes, but great players make the NFL and GT has a long history of sending people there. Our ceiling is higher than what most lead to believe. Paul did a great job of recruiting for a system that uses scheme to try to outplay talent, but at the same time, his best seasons were the ones he has the most NFL talent. It's not a coincidence is all that I'm saying.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It wasn’t a good situation having a large percentage the fanbase incessantly piss on the Team the last decade for no other reason than they hated CPJ’s offense. We really don’t need the fans that stuck with the Team to start pissing back because the shoe’s on the other foot. Collins is the coach for at least 3 years, most likely 5 unless someone has a picture of him & a goat.

Animal02

Banned
It wasn’t a good situation having a large percentage the fanbase incessantly piss on the Team the last decade for no other reason than they hated CPJ’s offense. We really don’t need the fans that stuck with the Team to start pissing back because the shoe’s on the other foot. Collins is the coach for at least 3 years, most likely 5 unless someone has a picture of him & a goat.
I will support Tech regardless. (Hell, after 78-83 it is not that hard to do. ;))
I just find it curious after all the school girl crush talk about the new HC, so many are hedging their bets with talk of transition years. :rolleyes:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I will support Tech regardless. (Hell, after 78-83 it is not that hard to do. ;))
I just find it curious after all the school girl crush talk about the new HC, so many are hedging their bets with talk of transition years. :rolleyes:
It’s like this in the workplace. Everybody’s an expert except for the Boss. Results would be so much better if I was running the show. Then the know-it-all gets put in charge. First order of business is negotiating the performance deliverables down because of “all the changes that need to be made”. Next phase is the kick the can down the road because you didn’t get quite what you needed to start or the changes took longer to implement. Everybody looks back after 3 years & you got exactly what you had when you started because the company didn’t do a damn thing different. Weed out a few substandard performers is what happens then. Nothing really changes. 5 yrs in the smart ones move along so their performance is never tied to them. They may point to 1 or 2 good years & make excuses for the others. Take the credit for what worked & slough off the bad based on acts of God, etc. Try their damnest to keep failing up. It’s rare to have a track record these days.

I use this frequently at work: You actually have to improve something to make it better. PowerPoint or spreadsheet exercises often don’t do a damn thing except point out the obvious. You actually have to improve more than what’s breaking down along the way in order to generate a positive performance trend. Get on with making improvements.

Animal02

Banned
It’s like this in the workplace. Everybody’s an expert except for the Boss. Results would be so much better if I was running the show. Then the know-it-all gets put in charge. First order of business is negotiating the performance deliverables down because of “all the changes that need to be made”. Next phase is the kick the can down the road because you didn’t get quite what you needed to start or the changes took longer to implement. Everybody looks back after 3 years & you got exactly what you had when you started because the company didn’t do a damn thing different. Weed out a few substandard performers is what happens then. Nothing really changes. 5 yrs in the smart ones move along so their performance is never tied to them. They may point to 1 or 2 good years & make excuses for the others. Take the credit for what worked & slough off the bad based on acts of God, etc. Try their damnest to keep failing up. It’s rare to have a track record these days.

I use this frequently at work: You actually have to improve something to make it better. PowerPoint or spreadsheet exercises often don’t do a damn thing except point out the obvious. You actually have to improve more than what’s breaking down along the way in order to generate a positive performance trend. Get on with making improvements.
Why I am self employed with no other employees. ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why I am self employed with no other employees. ;)
I did that for 5 years in (84-87), made $$$, but felt it making me bitter. Thru in w some buddies and we did ok. .The secret was finding highly competent guys like u ( I suspect) and them putting them with supporting people, processes , tools and paying great bonuses. These guys attracted clients crazy, they and clients like them in a solo that was not bothered.

I bet u are a damn good architect.