New inbound transfer candidate

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeppers. And 4 years if he applies for and gets a waiver.
Not sure of the how and why, but everything I've been reading says he will be sitting this year. As in not even applying for a waiver. Maybe there's a deadline to have it applied for?

ScGold

Banned
Not sure of the how and why, but everything I've been reading says he will be sitting this year. As in not even applying for a waiver. Maybe there's a deadline to have it applied for?
You are correct in that he's sitting out this year with three remaining.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

It would be hard for him to come into the middle of camp and compete right away. Probably for the best he sits a year.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this will allow him to come in and audit the system, get with Lew and his position coach & establish strengths & weaknesses, and transition into the “academic rigor” of GT so he can hit the ground running come Spring practice. I can only assume these transfers will still be practicing and giving/getting meaningful reps to the other squads during game prep activities.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Exactly why the excitement that Tech might get a guy who quit on his previous team because he was 3rd string? And what would it say about competition if he chose GT as his next stop?

It says exactly what you are implying and why is that a surprise? It doesn't take a genius to imagine that a third-string player from a top program in the country might possibly be something to be excited about for a program during a transition period.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great news! CGC is a machine in recruiting. Picking up right where he left off. Kids want to play for their city!
At spring game we had the 30 to 30 lower east reseved for local area coaches and players. They had them tour the edge and the athletic facilities. They all were treated w respect and will be back as fans . One car load went buy and a kid hung out the window yelling " recruit me to ga tech!".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You're not refuting my points. You're instead diverting to debating the idea that we're now publicly labeled an "effort-based program." We were talking about bringing in a player that you think quit on his team so he's bound to fail here. I am saying Collins has explicitly mentioned that effort is the main metric he uses to judge his players. He has hammered that for 8 months. So why would he allow a player to transfer in that he doesn't think will give full effort? He has passed on low effort players before and he'd pass on Allen too if he didn't think he could compete.
a. I don't know he is "bound to fail." I know he did once. I know I question a Notre Dame third stringer knocking us dead at GT and what that says about GT football. b. In setting "effort" as his primary goal Collins joins, well, every football coach in America. c. don't know he has passed on anybody as those things by NCAA rules aren't discussed by coaches. Maybe you have inside knowledge to share. With the numbers he is taking I kinda doubt anybody got past him. d. If I might add a new element, seriously, when he is passing out scholarships willy-nilly to transfer students -- the grad students I have no problem with, such as Bryant taking his Clemson bachelor's degree to Missouri -- what happens to the Atlanta area players he vowed to recruit?

I have been a Tech fan a long time, through great, bad and good coaches, and I still am. But none of them got there by talking, particularly when the subject -- effort, for instance, -- is a given, through sports, all divisions. ("Effort" ain't news as there is nothing "new" to it.) I never heard or read of a coach suggesting a player didn't try very hard but he would play anyway. So let's discard "effort" as a unique additive to the coaching experience, "main metric" particularly because it can't be otherwise. (Who in the world would recruit any player who didn't try?)

Now, if he said "competitors" was his main metric, that would get my attention. Competitors in any sport are rare and prized.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I never heard or read of a coach suggesting a player didn't try very hard but he would play anyway.
Paul and co. always were on Embry Peeples case about this. Embry, who could run a 4.4 40 without even raising a sweat, always looked like he wasn't giving a full effort and the coaches were always on him to "try harder". His reply (paraphrased): "I'm going as fast as I can. Is anybody catching me?"

Here's what they were talking about:

Looks like he's hardly trying, doesn't it? And Peeples kept starting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Paul and co. always were on Embry Peeples case about this. Embry, who could run a 4.4 40 without even raising a sweat, always looked like he wasn't giving a full effort and the coaches were always on him to "try harder". His reply (paraphrased): "I'm going as fast as I can. Is anybody catching me?"

Here's what they were talking about:

Looks like he's hardly trying, doesn't it? And Peeples kept starting.

A name I had forgotten. He could fly.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

“I don’t know the circumstances that led to him deciding to leave ND but this is a tremendous coup for Coach Collins at GT,” Irwin wrote in a text message to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Derrik is a tremendous football talent and a high quality person. He is an excellent student and has always done things the right way on and off the field.”
“I don’t know Coach (Brian) Kelly or the (defensive coordinator) at ND but I do know Coach Collins at GT,” Irwin continued. “I will be very surprised if Derrik doesn’t thrive there and become an impact player once he is able to get on the field.”

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If there's anything we have a clear track record for on CGC it's identifying and developing DBs. Obviously we can't play everyone, and who knows maybe we intend to grow him into a LB or keep him as a nickel, but I'm not worried that he is a marginal pickup at all.