New inbound transfer candidate

LibertyTurns

Banned
To me, there is little question about his ability as a defensive mind. What I am interested in seeing is can he do it here and can Pnode field a decent offense here.
He wouldn’t be the first head coach to be a genius as a coordinator and his teams as a head coach not so much. O’Leary jumps to mind. If we could have bought a defense during his tenure he would have won a National Championship with the offense he had. Wasn’t Chan an offensive guru? Despite having Calvin Johnson and a host of other talent, he seemed to despise scoring a TD. I’m not sure Chan could even spell TD if you spotted him the T and the D. He sure did like his punts and FGs.

I apologize in advance to the Chan lovers on here but your boy was not the poster child of offensive brainiacs.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
He wouldn’t be the first head coach to be a genius as a coordinator and his teams as a head coach not so much. O’Leary jumps to mind. If we could have bought a defense during his tenure he would have won a National Championship with the offense he had. Wasn’t Chan an offensive guru? Despite having Calvin Johnson and a host of other talent, he seemed to despise scoring a TD. I’m not sure Chan could even spell TD if you spotted him the T and the D. He sure did like his punts and FGs.

And then there was Bud Carson..... his defenses were great, but he thought because he knew how to stop an offense that he also knew how to make one go. Never trusted his staff & insisted on making the offensive calls - WTTE "If I'm gonna get blamed for the play calling, I'm going to call the plays."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Some context from the ND perspective

SBNation: Notre Dame Football: Safety Derrik Allen to transfer
Allen was a 4-Star player when he came out of high school in Georgia, and many were excited about the possibilities he brought with him to the secondary. As a freshman in 2018, Allen’s larger size forced the question if he would ever play safety for Notre Dame — or would he become a linebacker?
Allen was right in the thick of it this spring, and he had a nice Blue-Gold Spring game for the Irish. While someone will quickly point out that 5-Star freshman Kyle Hamilton is balling out, and swallowing up reps — there is always a need for two safeties on the field. He had been one of those guys that many people kept asking about a possible transfer — and here we are.

ND Insider: Sophomore safety Derrik Allen to transfer from Notre Dame
“In just talking about modern offense, safeties have to be able to play almost like corners at times,” said defensive coordinator Clark Lea during spring football, referencing Allen. “For him to be rebuilt 215 or in that range — where he’s cut down body fat and built back muscle and it feels like he’s explosive and fast and twitchy — those are the things you look for.

“You don’t necessarily put everyone in a box of what their weight range should be, but you’re just being mindful of how they look when they’re playing. But those positions you have to cover space as a safety.

“And if you’re not covering spaces, we can’t just rotate a guy in the box all the time. That’s why we have linebackers. And so he needs to continue to work his body so athletically and in terms of being explosive and rangy is in his best options.”

FanSided: Notre Dame Football: Derrik Allen transfer hurts more than perceived
Chances here are that Allen transferred because of a battle with freshman Kyle Hamilton at the safety spot, but either way, his career in South Bend was shockingly quick and not nearly as prolific as many had hoped when he committed in 2018.

In fact, Allen was one of the top-rated safeties in the entire 2018 class and No. 106 overall, per 247Sports, but he must not have liked his direction on the depth chart to transfer out even though Elliott and Gilman are both seniors. He likely would have been in the starting mix in 2020 and played some meaningful snaps for a playoff contender this season.
Hamilton might be a solid option to replace Allen in the two-deep, but the former four-star safety from Marietta, Ga., was set to be challenged with DJ Brown’s move to safety from corner this spring as well as Litchfield Ajavon entering his freshman season.

NBC Sports: Derrik Allen transfer exacerbates already thin Notre Dame safety depth
“When you say, has the light gone on, you’re living in a world where it’s either on or off,” Lea said. “He has benefited a ton from having a lot of reps this spring. There are times where he cut weight, he had to lose some weight, and he met that challenge as spring camp went on.

“As a safety, to make plays, you can’t be thinking about necessarily what your landmark is, what your read is. Those things need to be ingrained so that you can react to the ball in the air. That’s where Derrik needs to take the next step.”

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
So it sounds like he is/was a tweener who was constantly having to battle putting on too much weight so that he could compete at safety for Notre Dame. When guys get to college many of them get bigger and end up having to be moved. He may be one of these type guys that will have to decide if he wants to work extremely hard to keep his weight and size down enough to maintain the speed and agility to play safety or allow himself to just grow into a linebacker or hybrid type player. Either way I hope he turns out to be a player that can help us down the road.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So it sounds like he is/was a tweener who was constantly having to battle putting on too much weight so that he could compete at safety for Notre Dame. When guys get to college many of them get bigger and end up having to be moved. He may be one of these type guys that will have to decide if he wants to work extremely hard to keep his weight and size down enough to maintain the speed and agility to play safety or allow himself to just grow into a linebacker or hybrid type player. Either way I hope he turns out to be a player that can help us down the road.

Sounds like a great fit. CGC loves size and position flexibility.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And then there was Bud Carson..... his defenses were great, but he thought because he knew how to stop an offense that he also knew how to make one go. Never trusted his staff & insisted on making the offensive calls - WTTE "If I'm gonna get blamed for the play calling, I'm going to call the plays."

Yes. And for cripes sake he had Crutchfield in here for a while.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I apologize in advance to the Chan lovers on here but your boy was not the poster child of offensive brainiacs.

I’m not too sure that “Chan-Lovers” is a real thing, except maybe his immediate family....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do think we are seeing what an energetic recruiter does as a head coach. This is something different than a lot of us have seen in some time on the flats at any of the big 3 men’s teams.

Hewitt is the most apt comparison to me right now. I’m hopeful that unlike CPH, CGC will also have game coaching chops but even if not as long as the staff is strong you can go places with talent on the field.

Looking forward to finally getting into the season and hearing CGC break down games during pressers to see what kind of tactician he is. Will be interesting how much (if any) he exert control over coachP and ThackAttack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minor point. We recruit very well in baseball. (9th in 2020 incoming, 4th in this years, 41st in 2018, 18th in 2017 and 21st and 2016.)

Agree entirely for basketball and football recruiting (until recently in football).

But your point of what Hewitt did with talent has translated over to baseball until this last year when Ramsey arrived. Now we have a stud B pedigree pitching coach.

I'm thinking that credit is due to all involved, including TStan, for getting the players and coaches.

But Collins & company have to prove themselves with on-field results. I think giving them 3 years is fair and am just hoping for a winning season this year.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We are 12 months away from worrying about those numbers.
We already have 20 verbal commits. We still need to add more offensive and defensive linemen. We lose only 12 seniors after this year. Attrition happens, but we have a young team. Just my humble opinion, I don't see 5 or more players leaving next year.

ScGold

Banned
We already have 20 verbal commits. We still need to add more offensive and defensive linemen. We lose only 12 seniors after this year. Attrition happens, but we have a young team. Just my humble opinion, I don't see 5 or more players leaving next year.
If the young man wants to be in the 404, the staff will welcome him with open arms. His parents have already been in contact with the staff. Matter of time before hes one of us.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Minor point. We recruit very well in baseball. (9th in 2020 incoming, 4th in this years, 41st in 2018, 18th in 2017 and 21st and 2016.)

Agree entirely for basketball and football recruiting (until recently in football).

But your point of what Hewitt did with talent has translated over to baseball until this last year when Ramsey arrived. Now we have a stud B pedigree pitching coach.

I'm thinking that credit is due to all involved, including TStan, for getting the players and coaches.

But Collins & company have to prove themselves with on-field results. I think giving them 3 years is fair and am just hoping for a winning season this year.
Probably should never try to relate our baseball recruiting to football recruiting. GT has a massive advantage over 70% of all div 1 programs. Unlike football, you can split the 11.7 fully funded scholarships with the hope. You are allowed to carry up to 27 players and if all were on the hope , that alone would equal roughly another 13.5 scholarships. Several schools lobbied the ncaa to get this advantage (state assisted funds from lottery) taken away. If it was allowed for football, it would take 2 seconds for the state of Ala to jump on board with a lottery . Their faith based moral issue with gambling would vanish before your very eyes!:)

ScGold

Banned
Probably should never try to relate our baseball recruiting to football recruiting. GT has a massive advantage over 70% of all div 1 programs. Unlike football, you can split the 11.7 fully funded scholarships with the hope. You are allowed to carry up to 27 players and if all were on the hope , that alone would equal roughly another 13.5 scholarships. Several schools lobbied the ncaa to get this advantage (state assisted funds from lottery) taken away. If it was allowed for football, it would take 2 seconds for the state of Ala to jump on board with a lottery . Their faith based moral issue with gambling would vanish before your very eyes!:)
There are dog tracks in Bham, so gambling isn't that negatively looked at. I do believe there are more dog tracks littered around the state.