New in 15: Stewart brings impressive transcript, highlight reel

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok decline, please give me the chronological list of players based on future production, please. Obviously your football knowledge is superior to hundreds of collegiate scouts, based on one true frosh first camp.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My issue, like everyone else I assume, is the premature coronation before he has even played a down in a game. If you are fan or a stan, thats great. We all are to some degree, but chill with the force feeding of the hype that hasn't been earned on the field yet.

you are wise. and experienced. But this is Tech, and we have been exiled into captivity and looking for the next Shawn Jones to lead us to the promised land for decades now. Desperate for this, we latch on from time to time to randomly selected players and for some unknown reason,especially prefer them to be lightly recruited. Often times it is the guy with a foreign name or background (F.Kallon or M. Faye in men BB). Tearing up the first teamers as a scout team guy? We love that, too. Many bonus points for this.

at the end of the day, it is just a Tech thing like the shaft or a V run or having crappy professors...you just gotta accept it cause you ain't going to change it.

I keep hearing that Mike will be out until mid Sept. Sometime and Stewart will get the start week one and two. Not 100% on this but no need to use him those weeks unless necessary.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I didn't underestimate anyone. I said they are all 27 bodies until they prove otherwise. No matter if he is a 5* or last minute reach. Brad appears to have made some strides in camp, which Im ecstatic about, because WR is my #1 concern. My issue, like everyone else I assume, is the premature coronation before he has even played a down in a game. If you are fan or a stan, thats great. We all are to some degree, but chill with the force feeding of the hype that hasn't been earned on the field yet.

I can't wait when Brad make those jump ball catches beginning Sept. 3rd
I agree, but who's Stan? Why can't it be a Dan? Hurry up Sept. 3rd!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
you are wise. and experienced. But this is Tech, and we have been exiled into captivity and looking for the next Shawn Jones to lead us to the promised land for decades now. Desperate for this, we latch on from time to time to randomly selected players and for some unknown reason,especially prefer them to be lightly recruited. Often times it is the guy with a foreign name or background (F.Kallon or M. Faye in men BB). Tearing up the first teamers as a scout team guy? We love that, too. Many bonus points for this.

at the end of the day, it is just a Tech thing like the shaft or a V run or having crappy professors...you just gotta accept it cause you ain't going to change it.

I gotta call BS on this. It is not just a Tech thing. A thousand movies have been made with variations on this plot. Hoosiers, The Natural, Sea Biscuit, Rudy, Biscuit Eater, Babe. Also, look no farther than the Bible. The stories of David, Moses, Joseph. All were lightly regarded but became heroes. Audie Murphy, Sgt. York, Luke Skywalker. It's human nature. We want to see unexpected people triumph. His biggest problem will be the burden of expectations that has been put on him. He's a marked man. Every play he makes, good and bad will be magnified and used by us trolls.

I will leave it a this as a 50+ year Tech fan. The reason I love Tech football is because it gives more opportunity for just this type story. I love it more than any other aspect of our football program. I love it enough to sit thru miserable 2-9 years cause I want to be there when it starts. I pity the factories because they never get to experience it. Like last year, start off lightly regarded and by the end kicking everybody's ***. Just like 1989, riding a long losing streak and then win a MNC. Just like 1980, beat #1 ND with a third string true freshman QB. Ever hear of George Godsey?

This kid may be a huge bust. If so, he will be like most of the highly regarded high school players. He got a scholarship on the last day. He doesn't have the eye popping measureables. But there are players in every sport that just know how to play the game, that anticipate, that are as relentless as a Boykin after a wounded duck. This guy might have that, and he already has the story line in place of coming out of nowhere. Until he flops, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and act like he is the next coming of Wayne Gretsky, a physical nothing that was the best that ever played hockey. Are you so desperate to say, "See! I knew all along he was not that good." that you can't even enjoy the possibility he may be something special.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I gotta call BS on this. It is not just a Tech thing. A thousand movies have been made with variations on this plot. Hoosiers, The Natural, Sea Biscuit, Rudy, Biscuit Eater, Babe. Also, look no farther than the Bible. The stories of David, Moses, Joseph. All were lightly regarded but became heroes. Audie Murphy, Sgt. York, Luke Skywalker. It's human nature. We want to see unexpected people triumph. His biggest problem will be the burden of expectations that has been put on him. He's a marked man. Every play he makes, good and bad will be magnified and used by us trolls.

I will leave it a this as a 50+ year Tech fan. The reason I love Tech football is because it gives more opportunity for just this type story. I love it more than any other aspect of our football program. I love it enough to sit thru miserable 2-9 years cause I want to be there when it starts. I pity the factories because they never get to experience it. Like last year, start off lightly regarded and by the end kicking everybody's ***. Just like 1989, riding a long losing streak and then win a MNC. Just like 1980, beat #1 ND with a third string true freshman QB. Ever hear of George Godsey?

This kid may be a huge bust. If so, he will be like most of the highly regarded high school players. He got a scholarship on the last day. He doesn't have the eye popping measureables. But there are players in every sport that just know how to play the game, that anticipate, that are as relentless as a Boykin after a wounded duck. This guy might have that, and he already has the story line in place of coming out of nowhere. Until he flops, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and act like he is the next coming of Wayne Gretsky, a physical nothing that was the best that ever played hockey. Are you so desperate to say, "See! I knew all along he was not that good." that you can't even enjoy the possibility he may be something special.
I've always loved the underdog, too. It makes the wins all the sweeter. BTW, love the Sgt York reference, one of my all time favorite movies with Gary Cooper.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Redmule terrific post...one of the best I have seen in along time!

I'd have to disagree on Brad not having measureables. He has decent height and weight coming in for a frosh WR. His vertical is an eye-popping 38 or 39" iirc. Reported 4.5 so follow the rule and add 0.1 to that and 4.6 is respectable.

What made him under-recruited was level of competition and lack of other major offers that create a buzz. Didnt work the crootin combine circuit either or go to a lot of camps to gain exposure.

These things didn't create uncertainty in Paul Johnson, who pursued the guy aggressively once he became aware. Good players come from everywhere. Fans just routinely disregard the tape in favor of who else offered.

A lot of folks weren't psyched on Shaq due to lack of offers. CPJ has a good track record with his late recruiting picks. Burden, Burnett, and Laskey are three off the top of my head. Hopefully Stewart'll be one of those guys too. I aint betting vs CPJ on it that's for sure.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are you so desperate to say, "See! I knew all along he was not that good." that you can't even enjoy the possibility he may be something special.

No. I hope every single last kid we sign succeeds. And I mean that sincerely. However,I am in the camp that does not like to see unnecessary expectations put on a kid. Or, especially one recruit who, for whatever reason, is annointed above the others. It has happened in the past with Vad Lee, Kallon, Drummond, etc. This is the first time I have responded in a "Brad Stewart" thread and am doing so to specifically answer your question.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. I hope every single last kid we sign succeeds. And I mean that sincerely. However,I am in the camp that does not like to see unnecessary expectations put on a kid. Or, especially one recruit who, for whatever reason, is annointed above the others. It has happened in the past with Vad Lee, Kallon, Drummond, etc. This is the first time I have responded in a "Brad Stewart" thread and am doing so to specifically answer your question.
This is a sports message board, it's what we do, it's what fans of all schools do. We talk about the players. Geez. In fact, it's fun to get excited about unheralded guys and watch them blow up and it's fun to predict such things. Sometimes they don't pan out, so what? I highly doubt the kids feel any added pressure from what a bunch of keyboard jockies are typing on a fan board.

Yes, hype happens, it's not a unusual phenomenon by any stretch. Btw, you mentioned a bunch of guys who never lived up to their hype, there's plenty of guys who do. If you don't agree with a specific post, you're free to disagree and state your case. I don't get the idea of surppressing hype as a general rule. smh.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Before you post something, ask yourself if you would say it to somebody in person. I know its hard to not be negative online, I myself am way too often much more negative online than I am in person.
If you would say it in person, then be my guest.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Before you post something, ask yourself if you would say it to somebody in person. I know its hard to not be negative online, I myself am way too often much more negative online than I am in person.
If you would say it in person, then be my guest.
You and Cheese are just asking for it, you know. Baited field and all that. Right now I am righteously suppressing the urge ...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Insults...please explain..
Relax Francis...I'm all about the fun!
Hey...you insulted me with your post!!
image.jpg
LOL

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks Red Mule. Awesome.