New GT WR Coach (rumored per 247 sports): Trent McKnight

GT33

Helluva Engineer
So they had enough money before they won nattys to win nattys, but they don’t have enough money after winning nattys to continue winning nattys?
NIL is now legal. There’s a ton more $$ in the system and mutt’s relative percentage is substantially reduced. Of course you already knew that and were just asking to see if I knew.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Are individual position coaches really an area of worry. They’re a dime a dozen. Coordinators will roll in one they’re comfortable with and move on. This really isn’t newsworthy.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I hate to see him go and I hate it more that he is going to uga.
But I love the coaches Key has hired and know he will find us another good one. Fact is this is now college football players go coaches go.
This 100%

Brent wants coaches that come here and do so well that other teams covet them. He doesn't want guys that come here and nobody notices because they are so anonymous. I'm sure he doesn't like losing a guy after 1 year. But it's pretty obvious he has a clear vision of the kind of coach he wants in this program and that's hungry, hard working guys who form great relationships with the HS programs and will recruit like demons (meaning they will be out there recruiting and selling the program every chance they get and GETTING the players we need) and can coach the position he needs them to coach. I'm certain he's not unique in what he wants. But in a short period of time he sure seems to be able to get quality guys.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just like a player who gets hurt, it's next man up. If we are going to become a great program, guess what, our coaching staff will turn over. We will have many players leave in the portal. Ticket prices will rise. Newer, younger fans who like thumping music in the stadium. Its all about change. Life's tough, get a helmet.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
WR coaches are often recruiting centered. We don't have big $ to throw around. Whoever it is I probably will never have heard of them, but if they're young, enthusiastic, personable, and motivated to work their tail off, then I'm on board.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
Is there a current GA that could elevate? For example DeAndre Smelter? Don’t know the answer, but wondering if we could poach another high level respected high school coach for an open GA spot if one was available, and if Smelter could take the next step to position coach. Would be curious how well Smelter can build relationships, but identifying high quality respected high school coaches and bringing them on staff is one thing we’ve been at the forefront of.

slugboy

Staff member
Is there a current GA that could elevate? For example DeAndre Smelter? Don’t know the answer, but wondering if we could poach another high level respected high school coach for an open GA spot if one was available, and if Smelter could take the next step to position coach. Would be curious how well Smelter can build relationships, but identifying high quality respected high school coaches and bringing them on staff is one thing we’ve been at the forefront of.
Our OL coach—Geep Wade—had a history of FCS and a couple of G5 coaching stops. He’s doing ok 👌

Crawford was at Western Kentucky.

I would bet on a G5 coach that one of our coaches already knows. Just a guess.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
Our OL coach—Geep Wade—had a history of FCS and a couple of G5 coaching stops. He’s doing ok 👌

Crawford was at Western Kentucky.

I would bet on a G5 coach that one of our coaches already knows. Just a guess.
I agree that’s a solid option, and all the best coaches in the G5 are moving up. I was just curious if there is a solid option in house that could move up.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just curious if anyone has heard of any specific names of targets that Key is pursuing for the recent WR coaching vacancy? Hope he hits another home run of a hire especially since the Spring Game is around the corner and the portal opens up as well. Thoughts?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the money. Think about how many coaches working Kirby's staff went from Coordinator or position coach to head coach. This offseason alone 2 Coaches. RB coach Dell McGee to HC Ga St and Fran Brown went from DB coach to HC Syracuse. Dan Lanning went from a DC to HC for Oregon. Mel Tucker and Sam Pittman are other examples. It's like Kirby is running his own coaching factory in Athens.
Well … so far. How long this will continuer will depend on how well the first wave of HC hires works out. If they can't deliver long run, it'll be a different story.

slugboy

Staff member
Well … so far. How long this will continuer will depend on how well the first wave of HC hires works out. If they can't deliver long run, it'll be a different story.
Lanning was a hot name for Bama. His team was a threat for the CFP last year. Safe to say at least one of his old assistants has worked out well.