New GT WR Coach (rumored per 247 sports): Trent McKnight

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Satan built a sustained empire, mutt just lucked out & bought a couple nattys. They're still an undisciplined team with a crap regional fanbase. They'll almost always be Top 25, but they don't have the $$ to go toe to toe with the big boys year in & year out. They're a lot like Auburn, but with a lot more suck.
So they had enough money before they won nattys to win nattys, but they don’t have enough money after winning nattys to continue winning nattys?

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d like someone with GA recruiting ties given we’re trying to build our profile here. My pick is Quinshad Davis, WR coach from GA State. He was named a 247 “30 under 30” assistant coach as a rising star and plus recruiter, has been in the state since 2022, may be open to a new position with a regime change at GaSt, and fits our budget as his current salary is around $160K.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
REALLY hope this doesn’t mean any of WR’s leave. Singleton seems concrete here, but others could be tied to him / not care for GT as much after his departure

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
REALLY hope this doesn’t mean any of WR’s leave. Singleton seems concrete here, but others could be tied to him / not care for GT as much after his departure
Well time will tell and the WR at GT have to wait until after Spring to enter the portal. By that time we will have had our new WR coach in place and both the player and the new WR coach will have had time to evaluate each other. Plus it helps that Crawford did go to UGA as a WR coach so it shouldn’t automatically give him much leverage into hey follow me to UGA since he’s now their RB coach and the new WR coach at UGA will have his own WR roster players to evaluate plus have his own list of WR in the portal from various places to pick from. We shall see but it’s an important hire for Key.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Seems like I remember CBK saying something to the nature of making GT a place for young and upcoming coaches to come for the chance to advance their careers to higher levels, so in my opinion this is good for future hires, just glad that CBK seems to be able to determine good potential coaching talent because we will be replacing many over the time he is here. IMO, get used to it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems like I remember CBK saying something to the nature of making GT a place for young and upcoming coaches to come for the chance to advance their careers to higher levels, so in my opinion this is good for future hires, just glad that CBK seems to be able to determine good potential coaching talent because we will be replacing many over the time he is here. IMO, get used to it.
Growing pains

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You don’t want your program being a dead end for position coaches. It’s a two-edged sword, so to speak.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
At least Smart hired our WR coach to be his RB coach instead of hiring T. Choice to be his RB coach. Overall it’s an interesting move by Smart to hire Crawford as a RB coach knowing that his budget would allow him to go after the vast majority of RB coaches in most programs. So it must say a heck of a lot about Crawford’s overall knowledge of the game and coaching abilities to be able to switch positions and secure a position at a high profile program. Or is Kirby also looking to cripple/slow the development of Buster’s offensive progression and slight Key a little as well by saying/showing “I can out pay you and buy any of your coaches away at anytime.”

slugboy

Staff member
At least Smart hired our WR coach to be his RB coach instead of hiring T. Choice to be his RB coach. Overall it’s an interesting move by Smart to hire Crawford as a RB coach knowing that his budget would allow him to go after the vast majority of RB coaches in most programs. So it must say a heck of a lot about Crawford’s overall knowledge of the game and coaching abilities to be able to switch positions and secure a position at a high profile program. Or is Kirby also looking to cripple/slow the development of Buster’s offensive progression and slight Key a little as well by saying/showing “I can out pay you and buy any of your coaches away at anytime.”
Smart lost two of his best recruiters. He grabbed a local coach who can recruit. Seems simple.

We added a coach from Ga State. Did we do it to undercut their program? Or just hiring the best coach available?

Why is UGA different?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No need to worry. This is just another opportunity to improve. I would consider Calvin Johnson, if he would do it. Would be great PR for the program and dude knows how to play the position for sure.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In an ideal world, I'd love for Key to bring in someone that has a similar background as Crawford's.

-Someone that has ties to a strong recruiting area (Crawford was a successful veteran coach in South Georgia before moving to the college ranks).
-Lower level coordinating experience in a highly productive offense (Co-OC in W Kentucky's Air Raid) to help develop and expand upon our offense.
-High level development track record. Crawford developed QBs or WRs at a high level. Developed our WRs into a really good group.
-Young and ambitious. Face it, we're going to lose coaches if GT is successful. Better get a young coach that wants to prove himself and that's hungry than someone looking for one last paycheck before he gets out of coaching. Also, coaching has become a meat grinder. Need someone who accepts that and wants to take on that challenge.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We got Buster Faulkner from UGA, UGA took Crawford from us a year later.

Hate losing Crawford because he's a rising star and he's going to do great things in his career, but GT did get a great offensive coordinator from UGA.

Obviously, it wasn't planned that way, but that's the way I'm choosing to look at it.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
No need to worry. This is just another opportunity to improve. I would consider Calvin Johnson, if he would do it. Would be great PR for the program and dude knows how to play the position for sure.

Go Jackets!
Because they're great players has very little to do as to whether they would be good coaches and recruiters. Dealing with an entirely different set of aptitudes. I'm guessing the Crawford hire had most to do with recruiting ability. I'm guessing this won't be the last loss to UGA. When they start taking our players it will say a lot IMO.