New Gray Uniforms with Children's Healthcare

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No thoughts on the stitching?

I’ve never been adamant about any uni. You gonna continue with the inane uni questions?

It’s about as much as you ever bring to any discussion here though so.....never mind...carry on.

Or you could ask me how I feel about Coach Key....I’ll give you some fairly strong opinions there. ;) Ground I’ve already covered but you seem inclined to want go over ground that’s been covered already.

Animal02

Banned
Yeah and a scout team that never took any field of competition wore gray. How exciting!!!
I am sure other scout teams wore odd color mesh over their jerseys in practice.......maybe we should have those unis / colors as well.
Kind of comical with all the hubbub about renaming the "scout" team, they now pull out "scout team" unis to play in.
Tech should be refining and polishing the brand......not flailing around to see what sticks.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am sure other scout teams wore odd color mesh over their jerseys in practice.......maybe we should have those unis / colors as well.
Kind of comical with all the hubbub about renaming the "scout" team, they now pull out "scout team" unis to play in.
Tech should be refining and polishing the brand......not flailing around to see what sticks.

Teams are gonna trot out stuff players like for a game or two each year. Except for tradition heavy programs like Bama, USC, Texas. Even Notre Dame trots our green drom time to time. Fan bases are usually split on the “non traditional” unis. This isn’t unique to Tech.

All the angst over opposing opinions probably isn’t unique either.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I personally don’t believe this special one-off uniform has anything to do with branding, other than connecting GT with the community. Gray was chosen because there is historical connection with it, and because it’s still something unique and never seen on field at Tech before. It wouldn’t be as special to just wear G/W/G because there wouldn’t be anything new for the kids to connect with (btw I’m referring to the CHOA kids, not 16-19 yr old recruits.) I do believe they could’ve chosen a gold jersey to wear, as it would match the gold cape, but it still wouldn’t be as unique or special. Let go of your pessimism for one game, and enjoy what will be a very special day for hundreds of kids and their families. Like I’ve said before, if you want to build a bigger and younger fan base, this is a great start.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Oh well, regardless of feelings, this uni appears to be for one game. A game that good hearted people hope will benefit some sick children.

If that is cool with some fans then come to the game in gold, white, blue, gray, black or whatever. Just have fun cheering for the kids and the team.

If this one time uni is too offensive to your sensibilities then stay home or do whatever is best for you. That’s cool.

The big problem is this -

We have got to divorce ourselves from the trash that Dodd made us wear even as he was destroying our total athletic program. This trash G/W/G uni (not impressing anyone since 1956) is so far beyond any help branding wise, innovative, appealing, recruitment inducing that it is laughable to the point of vomiting. It even has to rely on a third color to even halfway work - be it blue or black..

So if so many are offended at anything (including Dodd’s trash that darn near bankrupted GTAA) then demand we wear nothing but a uni with 2 colors only. Gold & White.

FORCE GT & Adidas to get a quality matching Gold for hats & fabric. If they don’t go find a prof on the Hill and kick his nuts all the way to the V!

Just copy the Texas style uni, or PSU. Heck, they both only make untold millions of $ on merchandise every year.

Why would we want that?

White and Gold are unique.

Embrace this. W /G /W at home - no blue, black gray, green, orange, maroon trim. Triple White, with Gold trim, on the road.

Any guts?

Last edited:

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How do you know a CONSISTENT White and Gold uniform that is totally distinctive across the nation won't appeal to the teenagers of today. They only know what's given to them; it's not like they came up with the idea and said how much more they would like Tech if they adopted them. They might appeal to teenagers who pull for Bama too, but I guarantee you Bama would never use them.
I work at a high school so I see it everyday.....the uniforms that kids get into are stuff like Oregon, special one offs, etc.... There are those Bama kids but if we want to attract them we need a decade of 10-11 wins EVERY YEAR. I'm not so certain that is going to happen. Until this year Tech has been seen as a boring unrelatable brand. The needle has moved with Collins and stuff like these uniforms only helps.

Animal02

Banned
I work at a high school so I see it everyday.....the uniforms that kids get into are stuff like Oregon, special one offs, etc.... There are those Bama kids but if we want to attract them we need a decade of 10-11 wins EVERY YEAR. I'm not so certain that is going to happen. Until this year Tech has been seen as a boring unrelatable brand. The needle has moved with Collins and stuff like these uniforms only helps.
If that were so true, schools like Oregon and Maryland would be leading the pack. :rolleyes:
Survey after survey about recruiting shows the top issues are being honest and making them feel like family.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How do you know a CONSISTENT White and Gold uniform that is totally distinctive across the nation won't appeal to the teenagers of today. They only know what's given to them; it's not like they came up with the idea and said how much more they would like Tech if they adopted them. They might appeal to teenagers who pull for Bama too, but I guarantee you Bama would never use them.

Tennessee had the Smoky Gray uniforms under Butch. Pruitt got rid of them.

“Gray is not Tennessee football. Orange and white is.”

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If that were so true, schools like Oregon and Maryland would be leading the pack. :rolleyes:
Survey after survey about recruiting shows the top issues are being honest and making them feel like family.
I wasn't necessarily talking about recruiting, though that is obviously key, I meant just attracting new fans. Think about Oregon football before they started the Nike uniform stuff. They sucked....the uniform helped them build a program that has competed at a higher level than us most of the time.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If anyone feels like having a one-on-one conversation with another member on the merits of scout teams, who to ignore, or anything else not connected with the CHOA game please do so outside of this thread.

Animal02

Banned
Sorry guys, but you've got to get a life that doesn't involve making someone feel like an ******* that hates kids because they don't like the color of a jersey. What a sick way to twist someone's words.

Maybe I missed it in the video, or the article, or the link to the cape day website, but I fail to see what wearing gray has to do with helping the kids. What I did read was a loose connection between the color gray and John Heisman's scout team the Gray Devils. So sure, let's call it tradition that we're going to wear the jerseys of the guys that pretended to be our opponents for roughly 30 years in practice and call it tradition.

They could have picked whatever color they wanted and donated the proceeds to help sick kids...and HOPEFULLY the same group of people would have purchased the jersey to help the kids anway. Or here's a thought...maybe those acting like I don't want to help kids could donate to this charity annually instead of waiting for the opportunity to purchase a cool looking jersey to do so.

Sheesh...maybe I've been caught in a weak moment where I care what people on the internet say, but really man...what a joke.
There were all kinds of special unis they could have done for this game. This comes off "let's be different and find an excuse why."