• AAC

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Remain in ACC

Votes: 114 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are only two conferences that make sense for GT to be in. Geographically the SEC is the best fit. Historically the SEC is the best fit. Football prestige wise the SEC again.

ACC, as much as I hate it...is #2 in all of the above except football prestige. We just have to make the most of it.

If conferences ever expand again, which I highly doubt, maybe we could beg and plead to rejoin the SEC.

Maybe a better idea would be talking Clemson, NC state, VPI, FSU, and UVA into leaving (assuming they ever get fed up enough with Tobacco Road) and creating a new conference with UCF and USF. The Great South Conference.
The SEC teams in the area don’t want another SEC team in this recruiting hot bed competing for recruits.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree and the fact is we bring nothing to the SEC they would want. Same with Clemson and FSU.
I disagree. Tech is a very historically rich program, and is right there with Auburn, Alabama, UGA, and Tennessee in the formative years of southern college football. Leaving the SEC, even for well-intended reasons, has left GT in the dust compared to the monsters the SEC has become.

Throughout the conference expansions, I've hope and prayed that GT would be considered for an invitation, but I understand the reasons we're not. Besides UGA not wanting us there, we don't have as much direct economic value to add to the pie because of how we've retracted with the rise of the SEC.

But that doesn't change that at least 3 of the programs in the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, and GT) have very storied rivalries with GT, and that in itself makes it undeniable that aside from money, GT would inject a very high quality sense of tradition in the SEC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Tech is a very historically rich program, and is right there with Auburn, Alabama, UGA, and Tennessee in the formative years of southern college football. Leaving the SEC, even for well-intended reasons, has left GT in the dust compared to the monsters the SEC has become.

Throughout the conference expansions, I've hope and prayed that GT would be considered for an invitation, but I understand the reasons we're not. Besides UGA not wanting us there, we don't have as much direct economic value to add to the pie because of how we've retracted with the rise of the SEC.

But that doesn't change that at least 3 of the programs in the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, and GT) have very storied rivalries with GT, and that in itself makes it undeniable that aside from money, GT would inject a very high quality sense of tradition in the SEC.
I understand your thinking but what would the SEC get if we joined? Tech would benefit but how would the SEC same recruiting area same TV Market.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
I understand your thinking but what would the SEC get if we joined? Tech would benefit but how would the SEC same recruiting area same TV Market.
Reestablishment of rivalries with Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, and Bama. That would be a huge thing for both schools and the conference. Imagine the sellouts in Grant Field and other stadiums if Auburn, Bama, Florida, and Tennessee were on the schedule, which would mean more money for GT and the SEC. Second, the SEC would get a team that has won a NY6 bowl in the past 5 seasons. Third, adding GT would add meaning to the UGA rivalry again. The SEC would have exclusively three of the biggest rivalries in CFB on the same weekend with GT-UGA, Iron Bowl, and Egg Bowl.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I agree, not much at all. That is why we should take 3 of our best friends and go talk to the big 12. that way the big 12 would have 14 teams and 2 divisions, a real championship game and get its own conference network.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are in the best conference for us by far.
No other conference comes close to making as much sense.

Geographically only 2 conferences fit - SEC or ACC
Academically only 2 conferences fit - ACC or Big 10
School size wise - only one conference fits - ACC
Recruiting restriction wise - only two conference fit - ACC and Big 10

in the SEC GT is nothing more than Vandy 2. SEC has no need for GT as it already has plenty of presence in the ATL market. The schools around us would be opposed to GT being in the SEC as it negatively affects their recruiting.

The Big 10 and Big 12 are simply too far distance wise.

Academically only the Big 10 comes anywhere close to matching the academic credentials (and how that affects who you recruit). Big 12 and SEC combined have 1 school as highly regarded as GT academically - Vandy.

School size. Both the SEC and Big 10 (as well as most of the Big 12) are made up of large state universities with undergraduate sizes often twice that undergraduate size of GT. Vandy and NW are the 2 obvious exceptions.

ACC is filled mostly with teams that don't just take any athlete that can qualify (there are a couple who do), the SEC schools largely outside of Vandy will take anything that can walk and breath. Big 10 with the exception of OSU is similar.

Fans my not like it but the ACC is easily the best fit for GT.

And people need to stop crying over getting screwed by the conference. GT didn't get screwed by the ACC. if GT wins one more game it ends up in a tier 1 bowl.
Bowls (with the approval of the conferences, not just the ACC) have alot of leeway in picking who plays in their bowls. The bowls pick who they believe is in their best interest - it has almost nothing to do with how you did in your conference. It has to do with how many people they think will come to their local city and spend money there.

Changing conferences is not going to make GT a better football program and more than likely would make it a worse football program.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The Big 10 and Big 12 are simply too far distance wise.

How far is it from Boston to Miami?

Once you get on an airplane what difference does it make if you are going to Boston or Ann Arbor? Syracuse or Minneapolis?

It's all about money, and the SEC and B1G have the most. We should have gotten in the B1G when Maryland did--and that''s why they did. The B1G is also an academic fit, as you point out.

Too late now. We aren't going anywhere. This thread is not relevant to any realistic alternatives.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, the uber elite teams will poison the well and a shake up will occur.

This thread is good as a planning exercise for that event.

Will old rivalries be dropped and will new academic pairings be emphasized?

IMO, yes and we will need ATL sidewalk fans to replace the wood wood gang.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
I voted remain. Really like the ACC, it’s the best fit for us. Good regional rivals, good academics and GREAT basketball (which we will appreciate when GT hoops becomes relevant again).

Leaving the SEC was a mistake, but the ACC is the best fit for us today IMO.