• AAC

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Remain in ACC

Votes: 114 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. Send Missouri back to the Big 12 and we take their place in the SEC East. Imagine home games with UGA, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, etc. I don't care if the ACC tries to sue us or not, if we ever get the chance to fix Bobby Dodd's mistake we need to jump at the chance.
We don't fit in the SEC anymore than Vandy does. While I don't think leaving originally was a good decision going back would probably be an equally bad decision.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I voted stay in the ACC. You can fix some of the problems with us and the ACC. Leaving opens up a world of new problems that will be unfixable. The bowl selection is still a shaft job though and I wish our coach and AD would acknowledge that publicly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are only two conferences that make sense for GT to be in. Geographically the SEC is the best fit. Historically the SEC is the best fit. Football prestige wise the SEC again.

ACC, as much as I hate it...is #2 in all of the above except football prestige. We just have to make the most of it.

If conferences ever expand again, which I highly doubt, maybe we could beg and plead to rejoin the SEC.

Maybe a better idea would be talking Clemson, NC state, VPI, FSU, and UVA into leaving (assuming they ever get fed up enough with Tobacco Road) and creating a new conference with UCF and USF. The Great South Conference.
Big thinking!
Big thinking and gt hill and gtaa= ??

The prez is too busy running research, hill, alumni giving, prez of NCAA board of governors. Looks great at meetings.

Gt football lacks a wide range of courses and has very high academics .
What e
EXTRA!!!! effort does the prez and AA do to help gt football. I would like to hear t stan iterate what the hill does EXTRA??

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Until championship games garner automatic berths to the playoffs...I’m not sure they are at all necessary. In the case of the SEC they do garner such. And the loser someo gets in also. In the case of the ACC....all it potentially does is knock the best team out of the playoffs altogether if upset.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That may be the case now; I don't know. But the two times we tried to rejoin the SEC, both of them voted no.

Dodd was too scared to go to their place when we were a member. He arrogantly told them he would only play them in ATL, just like he did with auburn and Clemson.

Great coach, LOUSY administrator, and he really hurt us in many ways.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I voted stay. SEC is the only other option that makes sense, students should be able to DRIVE to most games, plus we don't have history or rivalry with anyone outside the ACC / SEC Footprint. I hate the made for tv mockery of cross division rivalries that the TV Market Conferences have made.

We should however be clammoring louder and louder about the BS the ACC pulls with regards to our programs.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I voted stay. SEC is the only other option that makes sense, students should be able to DRIVE to most games, plus we don't have history or rivalry with anyone outside the ACC / SEC Footprint. I hate the made for tv mockery of cross division rivalries that the TV Market Conferences have made.

We should however be clammoring louder and louder about the BS the ACC pulls with regards to our programs.

How many of our fans travel now anyway? At least in places like OSU, UM and Penn State, they would play before full houses.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Gentleman, Tech is in thebest conference for them right now , travel to other conference games not that far compared to Big 10 games. Tech has applied twice to rejoin the SEC and turned down both times. Hell, you talk about a mismatch in recruiting, we couldn't get away with half the BS the other SEC schools do.Finally, the ACC Network kicks in next year with plenty of perks for each member, and Tech/Clemson is the first televised game on a Thursday night.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Dodd was too scared to go to their place when we were a member. He arrogantly told them he would only play them in ATL, just like he did with auburn and Clemson.

Great coach, LOUSY administrator, and he really hurt us in many ways.
Dodd wasn’t scared, he knew he would make more money playing in Atlanta and they would come to him if they wanted to play. No reason in those days to go to Miss or MSU or Clemson. We had the bigger stadium and sold it out or close most games.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Dodd wasn’t scared, he knew he would make more money playing in Atlanta and they would come to him if they wanted to play. No reason in those days to go to Miss or MSU or Clemson. We had the bigger stadium and sold it out or close most games.

So by that reasoning we should now be playing every year at Clemson and ugag.

And also there was no reason to home & away with Tulane and Puke every year back then.

How did that money thing work out for Dodd and GT in the end?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think the mutts were for it@ least 2nd time. From stories I heard it was the Mississippis that kept it from happening.

They abstained in their vote thus guaranteeing we wouldn’t get in. They knew the numbers they just didn’t have the nuts to put their vote where their mouth was. Smart of them actually if cowardly.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
I was reading some old articles this afternoon and I read something that I had never heard before. Apparently in 1990 at the same time FSU was negotiating to join the ACC, we were prepared to leave the ACC for the SEC if a Florida school was not invited to join the conference. I had heard about us trying to rejoin the SEC in the 70's but I never heard about it during Homer Rice's tenure. Maybe some of y'all can shed some light on the situation.

https://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-cons/southern-part-hell-bernie-reeves/

"I sat beside Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford during a luncheon at the Kenan-Flagler School of Business at UNC in 1990, the day of the announcement Florida State University was joining the conference in 1991. Little did I know I was a witness to history to come when I asked Swofford why a conference composed of top-level institutions of higher learning was accepting a former all-female teacher’s college with scant scholastic prestige. The answer? Georgia Tech had informed the conference it was pulling out to join the Southeast Conference unless the ACC landed a Florida TV market school."

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was reading some old articles this afternoon and I read something that I had never heard before. Apparently in 1990 at the same time FSU was negotiating to join the ACC, we were prepared to leave the ACC for the SEC if a Florida school was not invited to join the conference. I had heard about us trying to rejoin the SEC in the 70's but I never heard about it during Homer Rice's tenure. Maybe some of y'all can shed some light on the situation.

https://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-cons/southern-part-hell-bernie-reeves/

"I sat beside Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford during a luncheon at the Kenan-Flagler School of Business at UNC in 1990, the day of the announcement Florida State University was joining the conference in 1991. Little did I know I was a witness to history to come when I asked Swofford why a conference composed of top-level institutions of higher learning was accepting a former all-female teacher’s college with scant scholastic prestige. The answer? Georgia Tech had informed the conference it was pulling out to join the Southeast Conference unless the ACC landed a Florida TV market school."
FSU has been good for the ACC

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think the mutts were for it@ least 2nd time. From stories I heard it was the Mississippis that kept it from happening.

The crazy thing is , since 1964 anyway, why would ugag not want the GT game to count as an SEC game if we were a conference member? Look at their record vs us. They may have won more sec championships if our game had counted.

But then they may have correctly figured that our recruiting would have been better as well.

Dodd/Harrison blew it big time.

But barring some new super conference with um, fsu, gt, cu, ncsu, vt, wvu, ucf etc., we are in ACC.

What needs to happen is for us and clemson to both kick the teeth out of the n.c. ACC.