Need a Spring Game Report

GTFLETCH

Banned
Our WR are fine
Steven Dolphous stunk it up... A. Sanders did not play up to the hype.... After Camp was hurt no one stepped up... The starters will be B. Stewart and J. Camp (hopefully they stay healthy all year and hopefully Sanders or Dolphous can bring their level of play up and fill in for Brad when he graduates... But from last night, . Dolphous has WAAAAAYYYYS to go...Super disappointed after reading all his press clippings

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Steven Dolphous stunk it up... A. Sanders did not play up to the hype.... After Camp was hurt no one stepped up... The starters will be B. Stewart and J. Camp (hopefully they tay healthy all year and hopefully Sanders or Dolphous can bring their level of play up and fill in for Brad when he graduates... But from lat night, . Dolphous has WAAAAAYYYYS to go...Super disappointed after reading all his press clippings

This sucks to hear.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s exactly why I am worried. Cooper in a cast, question mark on Marshall...just worrisome given how the guys out there looked.
Keep in mind it wasn’t just Cooper. We had zero starting OL playing except one tackle who was out of position at center. CPJ said he might be back in 3 months so he might not miss any of the season. Hopefully we get Andrew Marshall back healthy because he played center as a true freshman too.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Is going to hurt or did hurt? Coach said he will be back end of july. In time for fall. If that is true, assuming so which is reasonable; it shouldnt hurt us much.
Non contact stuff in July for Cooper (Our starting center...) Wont be able to do anything until probably mid to late August... But after what we saw last night, I am sure once Kenny can go... he will b in there and they will take a out of shape Kenny Cooper over any of the Back Ups.... Super disappointed in the OL as no one stepped up like they wanted to play with the ones... After W. Bryan and J. Lee no one really did much... there is a concerning drop off from 5-6 OL guy and everyone else...

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Couple quick notes this morning.

-Oliver looks like he can be the real deal for us. It's hard to judge his throwing with all the olinemen out he was working with what was the 3rd string and barely had time to set his feet and when he did no one was open.
-Not sold on Lucas, but according to reports he hurt his hand early in the scrimmage so it messed up his ball grip.
-Howard is going to be a great 1-2 punch with Benson. Benson bounces off guys with his low center of gravity. Howard might just flat run over or get past someone before they know what happened.
-Lee seems like he might be made for the center position in this offense. He's only practiced there for 2 days according to Johnson, but he would take off like a rocket to get to the 2nd level.
-Brad Stewart seems to back to consistently catching. If he can keep it up during the year it will be huge for us. No one else really stood out at WR which is troubling.
-Welcome back healthy Clinton Lynch. He seemed a step slow all last year, but finally looked back to form yesterday.
-The new D is fun to watch. There were a couple plays where 11 guys on D were within 5 yards of the ball carrier.
-The linebackers seemed to have taken a step forward. Flying all over the field.
-Harvin was booming punts with good hangtime as usual.
-Kings kicks looked strong and consistent.

Had a great time in the stands sitting in the middle of Will Bryan's family. 2018 should be an interesting season.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Steven Dolphous stunk it up... A. Sanders did not play up to the hype.... After Camp was hurt no one stepped up... The starters will be B. Stewart and J. Camp (hopefully they tay healthy all year and hopefully Sanders or Dolphous can bring their level of play up and fill in for Brad when he graduates... But from lat night, . Dolphous has WAAAAAYYYYS to go...Super disappointed after reading all his press clippings
I was hoping to see more from the WRs too. While I saw Dolphus miss at least one opportunity to make a play, to say they stunk it up is a bit strong, given the situation. It looked to me like guys who play in an offense where most of the reps go to the running game, trying to get in sync with QBs who are not the starter. They can play better, but it is what it is. I’m still excited to have guys like Dolphus and Sanders coming off the bench.

GTFLETCH

Banned
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...rgia-tech-spring-game/p7T7MDEpjG605NFkadXXJM/

After a slow start, Johnson drove the Blue-team offense on touchdown drives of 70, 74 and 55 yards, along with a field-goal drive of 54 yards.
That is very misleading... I would have loved to see Tobais with the Blue team... While the stats are true, LJ did not play very well and I do not think he threw the ball well. But one thing is clear LJ strength is passing while TO is running.... Jut like the OL, neither will push TM, hopefully TM can increase his passing % and we can win the ACC with TM at QB.. than we can have a battle next year between LJ and TO...

It appears on the Offensive side of the ball we are having a problem with developing QB, WR and OL... Not sure why that is... For example LJ and Dolphou are going into their third year in the program and neither were lights out... I am not sure if it is a coaching thing, commitment thing, talent thing, buying into the scheme thing or a combo...

While I was excited about the Defense and what CNW ha been able to do with Ted Roof guys, I left more worried about the O, and couldn't help think "well maybe the Offense needs to be shook up a bit"

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
After reading all the reports, I am 100% sure:

-LJ is the heir apparent, unless it’s TO.
-OFF is a dumpster fire, unless it’s just because the backups were the only ones playing.
-The DEF is incredible.
-Kicking game is solid, unless it sucks again.
-The new gold is awesome, and awful.

In my opinion, nothing can ever really be gleaned from spring games, except which freshman look ready to get on the field.

We have had exactly ONE season since 2008 where offense was he problem. I’m not worried one bit. If most teams played their QB2 and 4 out of 5 OL backups as the first team, their spring game would look ragged, too.

If our defense is improved (which seems to be the one constant in these reports), we will win 8+.

Lastly, just because I haven’t seen anyone mention it yet, does anyone think that after the DL depth is set, CPJ may take a look at some DL moving to OL?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind it wasn’t just Cooper. We had zero starting OL playing except one tackle who was out of position at center. CPJ said he might be back in 3 months so he might not miss any of the season. Hopefully we get Andrew Marshall back healthy because he played center as a true freshman too.
That’s kind of my point. In a few weeks of practice with very limited live football we lost all those starters. Those guys that were out there may be the ones that end up playing...

Maybe it’s a scenario where they could have played if it were a real game...but either way, guys get dinged up and can’t play, so the group we saw yesterday will end up on the field in some capacity...not very reassuring.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lastly, just because I haven’t seen anyone mention it yet, does anyone think that after the DL depth is set, CPJ may take a look at some DL moving to OL?
If he does it would need to be someone that still has 3 years to play. In this offense OL is a hard position to learn, a first year players on the OL is going to make mistakes a mistake could make a 30 yard play a 1 yard play. I know people talk about we need this QB or this WR but the fact is and will always be the OL makes this offense.

GTFLETCH

Banned
After reading all the reports, I am 100% sure:

-LJ is the heir apparent, unless it’s TO.
-OFF is a dumpster fire, unless it’s just because the backups were the only ones playing.
-The DEF is incredible.
-Kicking game is solid, unless it sucks again.
-The new gold is awesome, and awful.

In my opinion, nothing can ever really be gleaned from spring games, except which freshman look ready to get on the field.

We have had exactly ONE season since 2008 where offense was he problem. I’m not worried one bit. If most teams played their QB2 and 4 out of 5 OL backups as the first team, their spring game would look ragged, too.

If our defense is improved (which seems to be the one constant in these reports), we will win 8+.

I do not think the DL Depth is set in stone, but I do think they have an idea of who will compete at each position... I think the Defense will be fine under Woody!! and I am excited that we have so much depth... I do not think Brandon Adams is going to move to OL... I think Branch, Martin and Adams will hunker down the NT spot

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My take on the game:
Center exchanges: Lee snapped (Cooper out) for the Blue with only a couple of days practice and there were exchange issues all game causing havoc. Walk-on Lagod snapped for the White and there were exchange issues causing havoc.

Walk-on kudos for Blancato at AB in particular and tough running from Macrino at BB, some aggressive blocking from Gibbs (OL), and impressed with OLB play of Tukes.

Secondary with a lot of rotation played well (the two long passes to Lynch and Stewart were completed against a RSFR and a walk-on not on the roster until this week). However the DBs had several chances for interceptions and could not make the catch.

Big play of the game: Tre Jackson destroyed Gantt on a sweep left.

BB play: extremely good. Benson saw little action by design and Mason and Howard looked very good. Macrina is a tough straight ahead runner.

AB play: not many opportunities. Lynch and Searcy looked good in limited action. Blancato can play.

QBs: Too much running by the QBs in general and too little distribution to the ABs. The yellow shirt on the QBs really hurt their effectiveness, especially Oliver. At times both LJ and Oliver were impressive and at times they looked like Marshall when he was running for his life with his hair on fire. Too many wild throws (Lucas may have had an excuse) and too many throw aways. Hard to judge when playing tag with the QB but in general the O looked too much like the Duke game. Oliver can really run and LJ is underrated as a runner.

Defense: lots of hustle. Tackling OK. Coverage pretty good. Poor hands by the DBs. A little soft in the middle. Good speed to prevent break away runs. ENCOURAGED

Kicking: good

Pass protection: samo

LB play: good play overall from lots of players, including some walk-ons.

Impressive in uniform: DeFoor, Minihan, Quinney, Clark, Dolphus, Tukes, and Hansen

Note: The play calling has too much QB involvement and way too little AB IMO.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
My uninformed review:

The Good-
Lynch looked back to form
Howard ran HARD
Harvin was booming the punts
King looked good. The 40 yarder had plenty of room left for a longer kick
Hard to judge the d playing our o but they looked to be flying around
Lbs and dbs closing quickly
D had an attitude
Kerr stood out - with his play, had a tude but was having fun
Don’t laugh: the field was incredible. Wives didn’t believe it was real. Had to pull some blades of the grass to prove it wasn’t turf
The crowd was bigger than expected. Great job fans!

The bad-
I am reassessing my thoughts on Lucas. He started out pretty bad. Throws were off target and wobbly. He did get better as the game progressed but not as good as expected. Someone mentioned he hurt his hand early on?
The receivers need to be coached up. Jeune was very good at fighting for the ball. I did not see that tonight from the current receivers. Cotrell (yes an a back but a slot receiver on a pass play) sat there waiting on a pass instead of attacking the ball. G ave time for Kerr To break it up. Dolphus. Agree with the other poster. Looked like he was going through motions on deep routes. Saw a number of times he seemed to slow down or stop his route on pretty good throws. I had high hopes for dolphus per reports but he has some work to do. Even the touchdown pass to benson? in the endzone, he sat waiting for the ball. Caught against his body. No attack at all. Db almost got it.
O did not look smooth overall. I will chalk this up to all the o linemen being out and tm out w strep.

In general I honestly don’t know what to make of the game. With all the o line out, tm not playing and a new d it was kind of hard to assess things.

Only a little over 4 months before the next kickoff!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I do not think the DL Depth is set in stone, but I do think they have an idea of who will compete at each position... I think the Defense will be fine under Woody!! and I am excited that we have so much depth... I do not think Brandon Adams is going to move to OL... I think Branch, Martin and Adams will hunker down the NT spot

Branch DE, Cerge NT most likely.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
My uninformed review:

The Good-
Lynch looked back to form
Howard ran HARD
Harvin was booming the punts
King looked good. The 40 yarder had plenty of room left for a longer kick
Hard to judge the d playing our o but they looked to be flying around
Lbs and dbs closing quickly
D had an attitude
Kerr stood out - with his play, had a tude but was having fun
Don’t laugh: the field was incredible. Wives didn’t believe it was real. Had to pull some blades of the grass to prove it wasn’t turf
The crowd was bigger than expected. Great job fans!

The bad-
I am reassessing my thoughts on Lucas. He started out pretty bad. Throws were off target and wobbly. He did get better as the game progressed but not as good as expected. Someone mentioned he hurt his hand early on?
The receivers need to be coached up. Jeune was very good at fighting for the ball. I did not see that tonight from the current receivers. Cotrell (yes an a back but a slot receiver on a pass play) sat there waiting on a pass instead of attacking the ball. G ave time for Kerr To break it up. Dolphus. Agree with the other poster. Looked like he was going through motions on deep routes. Saw a number of times he seemed to slow down or stop his route on pretty good throws. I had high hopes for dolphus per reports but he has some work to do. Even the touchdown pass to benson? in the endzone, he sat waiting for the ball. Caught against his body. No attack at all. Db almost got it.
O did not look smooth overall. I will chalk this up to all the o linemen being out and tm out w strep.

In general I honestly don’t know what to make of the game. With all the o line out, tm not playing and a new d it was kind of hard to assess things.

Only a little over 4 months before the next kickoff!
Feel like the biggest news is how improved King is